Topic: Random Firewire BSODs on Windows 11 + FF800

Context:

I was using my firewire FireFace 800 on windows 10 for years and it was rock solid. Recently, Ableton Live 12 forced me to upgrade my motherboard+CPU (requiring AVX2 support), so I picked up a new Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite X board and an i5-13600k and installed Windows 11 Pro (23H2 Build 22631). I also got a PCIe firewire card (Vantec UGT-FW210) with the TI XIO2213B chipset (was careful not to get the A variety). I didn't have to do anything special for the firewire driver, and windows automagically installed the "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" driver.

Problem:

I get random IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (page fault) BSODs caused by the 1394ohci module. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern, at times it happens within a few minutes of playing audio, and at times much longer. But it's definitely unstable.

Questions:

- Is anyone able to run a stable windows 11 firewire PCIe + FF800?
- I've seen conflicting info about running the regular 1394 driver vs. the "legacy" driver. Should I use the "legacy"?
- Is there a currently available PCIe firewire card that is known to work with windows 11 and FF800?

Fireface 800 (firewire) . Windows 11 Pro . Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X WIFI7 . Intel i5-13600K

Re: Random Firewire BSODs on Windows 11 + FF800

You can at least test the legacy driver.
We have very good experiences with the Delock Firewire card and Windows 10/11:
https://www.delock.com/produkt/89153/me … tml?g=1114

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I would have tested the "legacy" driver, but:

- it's no longer part of windows 11 (or at least I haven't found it yet)
- not sure if there's a reliable place to download it from
- and, didn't want to downgrade/regress the driver unless absolutely necessary

Fireface 800 (firewire) . Windows 11 Pro . Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X WIFI7 . Intel i5-13600K

primalsound wrote:
Audio AG Support wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I would have tested the "legacy" driver, but:

- it's no longer part of windows 11 (or at least I haven't found it yet)
- not sure if there's a reliable place to download it from
- and, didn't want to downgrade/regress the driver unless absolutely necessary

https://www.studio1productions.com/Arti … wire-1.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by primalsound 2024-03-22 07:16:14)

Thanks, already been through that and they claim windows 11 does *not* require the legacy driver.

I am assuming there are people who have a solid firewire setup on windows 11, although it would be nice if someone here could confirm. I'm just trying to figure out where my problem lies. I think I would next get another PCIe card to see if that makes a difference. I'm hoping the problem is contained within the realm of firewire/OHCI (hardware and/or driver) and not with my motherboard.

Since Windows 7 the recommendation was so far to use the Legacy driver in the firewire driver's settings in Windows Devicemanager. Simply try both and use whats better.
More important is, that Windows has no firewire driver anymore and you need to install this driver to get a Firewire driver, no matter whether you finally use the legacy setting in the driver or not.

A 2nd important point is to use a good firewire card. Recommended is still to use a card with Firewire Chipset from TI (Texas Insruments). But careful here, also TI release one Firewire chipset that is known to behave wrong, because there were design errors in the chip in terms of interrupt handling. Unfortunately many cards have been built and sold with this bogus chipset. Avoid the XIO2200A.

See also https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 74#p121374
Use a translator if needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I finally found the legacy driver on the download site of my PCIe card:

https://www.vantecusa.com/CKEdit/images … 200106.zip

and installed it this morning. I don't want to celebrate prematurely but I haven't had a crash for the past 6 hours or so, which is much longer than what I was getting with the default driver.

Thanks for pushing me to install the legacy driver! And to those having similar problems and reading the referenced "studio1productions" link above, be forewarned that even though they clearly say you do not need the legacy driver on windows 11, I at least, seem to need it. The jury is still out, and I will be testing much more rigorously in the coming days with my fingers crossed.

Awaiting your results. This could be helpful for some.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by ramses 2024-03-23 09:59:22)

primalsound wrote:

I finally found the legacy driver on the download site of my PCIe card:

https://www.vantecusa.com/CKEdit/images … 200106.zip

and installed it this morning. I don't want to celebrate prematurely but I haven't had a crash for the past 6 hours or so, which is much longer than what I was getting with the default driver.

Thanks for pushing me to install the legacy driver! And to those having similar problems and reading the referenced "studio1productions" link above, be forewarned that even though they clearly say you do not need the legacy driver on windows 11, I at least, seem to need it. The jury is still out, and I will be testing much more rigorously in the coming days with my fingers crossed.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried installing the driver from this website and selecting the legacy driver in the device manager settings? https://www.studio1productions.com/Arti … wire-1.htm

At the end it could even be that these are the same drivers that you now only found at your vendors download page.

My understanding of this Microsoft firewire driver package is that you installed a driver package and under device manager you choose under "properties" which driver out of this driver package you activate, an older or some newer Microsoft firewire drivers.

Therefore, I already wondered when you said that there was a recommendation for Win11 to not use the legacy driver.
This makes for me no sense, but I had no time to re-read the page content.
At the end it was (to my best knowledge) the "legacy" driver which always worked much better compared to newer versions of it from Microsoft, when it comes to recording interfaces (storage and other devices might be a different story).

It is only a rumor that new Windows versions no longer have a FireWire driver. 23H2 and even the DEV versions have it anyway.

Babyface Pro FS, Fireface 800, 5900X, Windows 11 aktuell | 9900k Windows 10 1809 und Windows Dev

If you read my original post I also mention that windows 11 installed the default driver without me doing anything. So, yes, windows 11 does have a compliant OHCI driver. It's also true that some have reported that this default driver is working well for them. In my case, I was having random IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs with it. I only have the one Vantec PCIe firewire card to try, so it's possible that the combination of my card and this default driver don't work well together, but I can't say that for sure.

So anyway, as I mentioned I installed the legacy driver and even though it seems to work better, I had at least one BSOD when I loaded up the system and left it running last night. In this case I also daisy chained my UAD-2 satellite and loaded it with some plugins. The BSOD this time was different, it was: NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS (35) in the 1394BUS module.

I'm running more tests now without the UAD-2 daisy chained to see if that had anything to do with it.

When I get the chance, I'll check which FireWire cards I have installed. But every PC system can react differently. Ultimately, only trial and error will help. And Audio AG Support has already made a suggestion.

Babyface Pro FS, Fireface 800, 5900X, Windows 11 aktuell | 9900k Windows 10 1809 und Windows Dev

13 (edited by primalsound 2024-03-24 19:33:24)

WernerB wrote:

When I get the chance, I'll check which FireWire cards I have installed.

Thanks, that would be very helpful to compile a list of cards that are known to work with Windows 11. I assume you're using the default OHCI driver, but if you're using "legacy" please let us know too.

Today's status: Legacy driver without daisy chaining UAD-2 has been running for the past 24 hours without a crash.

At this point I think I can summarize my findings using a PCIe firewire card (Vantec UGT-FW210) with the TI XIO2213B chipset on Windows 11 Pro:

Using the default Windows 11 OHCI compliant driver:

• Unstable with frequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs.

Using the "legacy" OHCI driver (downloaded):

• Only FF800 on the bus: Stable running for 24 hours without a crash.

• FF800 + UAD-2 daisy chained: Unstable with frequent NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS BSODs.

It's also worth mentioning that I was using the 800 port on my PCIe card and did not test the 400 port (yet).

15 (edited by vinark 2024-03-24 23:01:51)

Imho I would give the uad and rme their own FireWire chip/card. I never managed to run 2 audio devices by different brands on the same fw bus. Having 2 fw cards or 1 onboard and 1 card was never a problem

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

It took the OP until post #11 to disclose that a UAD-2 is used in parallel. It was never disclosed which version. Now it seems it's a UAD-2 Satellite FireWire. Such info should have been part of the first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Because the OP reported chronologically as he experimented, and didn't even introduce the UAD-2 in the mix until post #11.

Which version? It was "daisy chained on the same bus", should be pretty clear.

Sorry if this was a waste of your time. I will stop reporting on my progress.

Good luck. Peace and out.

18 (edited by ramses 2024-03-26 04:29:39)

Maybe primalsound or other folks read it, just had a few thoughts on this topic.

I remember successful firewire installations under Windows 10 using the legacy driver from this site (URL already posted above): https://www.studio1productions.com/Arti … wire-1.htm

As Windows 11 doesn't deliver any advantage only less performance (by the IMHO bad kern virtualization security design) and more restrictions for the user (forced to use online accounts) I would propose a downgrade or even parallel installation (dual boot) with Windows 10 and test whether it works better. Win 11 only offers 1 month more until also going EoL. So there is no real reason to invest money and time into Win11.

It could even be, in your case, that the audio problems could be caused (besides other possibilities) by this loss of performance. I am not sure whether you did a Win11 installation using "Rufus", where you can disable things like the need for TPM and kern virtualization entirely.
It should be obvious that Windows 11 is a major disaster performance wise, if Microsoft blocks 6+ year old CPUs to install Windows 11. Even my performant Xeon E5-1680v4 is on the blacklist (which cost €1750 around 6 years ago, for me now €150 on eBay).
Remember, this is the CPU which runs this artificial DAW load test: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/
So you can possibly guess what of a bad security design this is, which makes very performant CPU required to run Win11.
In short: such an Operating System like Win11 (vanilla installation) is a bad OS for Audio processing with near-real-time requirements.

As a foundation, I would use a proven card with a proven TI chip which is known to work, as also TI released bogus chips (e.g. XIO2200A), but the good working one worked are said to work significantly better for audio than other vendors cards. So even if a VIA based card just works for now I personally would not be sure whether this is the case on the long run and better invest into a TI card which wor

This card I used myself long time ago when I was using an UFX with FireWire.
Exsys EX-16415, 3x FireWire 800/1x FireWire, PCIe x1 (TI XIO2213B)
https://www.exsys-shop.de/shopware/de/k … le-bracket
https://www.amazon.de/Exsys-15-06-2257- … B0029M9O72

Side note: at this time I thought (biased from other forums) that FireWire would be better than USB until I realized that this is not the case, at least not for RME drivers. It was even an advantage to get rid of FireWire, as firmware updates could only be transferred using USB for the UFX and any other device having USB and Firewire (like UCX).

MSI B360m Mortar Titanium, 9900k, Intel Arc A380, StarTech PEX1394b3 https://www.startech.com/de-de/karten-adapter/pex1394b3
Works here with FireFace 800 and Studiokonnekt 48 (the latter only reliable up to Windows 10 1809)

Thank you ramses and WernerB for taking the time to respond with your recommendations and feedback.

I know this (firewire FF800) is ultimately a deadend. I have several setups in my studio and on my mac side I'm doing great, and on the PC side I was hoping to postpone the $2k+ investment for a little longer.

I hear you on Windows 11 and possible performance issues, which over time are bound to get better. But crashing is a different proposition altogether.

Thanks for the Startech PCIe card recommendation, WernerB. I will probably get it just to see how it compares. Interestingly the pcb layout is identical to my Vantec card.

WernerB, just a quick note that I got the StarTech PEX1394b3 and it's behaving exactly like my original Vantec. The two boards seem to be identical. So, I have to use the "legacy" driver for it to work without a BSOD.

I'm sad to hear that. The card works on my socket 1151 board without any problems.

@ramses
OP has i5-13600k and it cannot, AFAIK, run satisfactory on Win10. Win10 cannot handle big.little CPU satisfactory. I am not saying Win11 handles it well.

@primalsound
And what about trying using different PCI slot? It used to help sometimes, decades ago. Maybe times has changed, but still each slot is slightly different. Changing slot still may do the trick....

And what is the problem if HW runs OK with legacy driver? And now you have two FW cards, so no problem use one for RME and other for UAD. As @Vinark has suggested.

24 (edited by ramses 2024-04-01 01:20:28)

Kubrak wrote:

@ramses
OP has i5-13600k and it cannot, AFAIK, run satisfactory on Win10. Win10 cannot handle big.little CPU satisfactory. I am not saying Win11 handles it well.

At least worth a try, maybe on a 2nd SSD for tests, as there seem to be solutions for this:

1. According to this thread on Reddit, there appears to be an option to tweak the power plan to prefer the P-cores: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments … _i_13700k/

"[...] im using ,default balanced powerplan for regular use and this settings for forced p core mode,.(like gaming)

set balanced powerplan,
download "powersettingsexplorer" app (~40KB in size) https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windo … ty.416058/
1)enable- heterogeneous policy in effect - "use policy 0"
2)enable- heterogeneous thread scheduling policy -"prefer performant processors"
3)enable- heterogeneous short running thread scheduling policy -"prefer performant processors"
>apply
"

This is also mentioned here in the documentation of Bitsum (company developing parkcontrol and process lasso pro):

https://bitsum.com/docs/how-to-keep-pro … f-e-cores/

2. Alternatively use Bitsums parkcontrol to customize the "Heterogenous Thread Scheduling Policy"
https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

3. Also Bitsums Process Lasso Pro has some interesting settings.
https://bitsum.com/

I think Win10 plus these customizations are worth a try, even for Intel big/little type of CPUs.

And regardig Windows 11:
I would definitively deactivate kern virtualization. What steals performance so dramatically that Win11 can't work on older processors anymore, should be disabled for computers performing audio processing with near real-time demands.
For any new installation: with Rufus you can tweak an installation medium to disable this and also the necessity of TPM.
https://rufus.ie/

25 (edited by primalsound 2024-04-01 20:24:55)

Kubrak wrote:

@primalsound
And what about trying using different PCI slot? It used to help sometimes, decades ago. Maybe times has changed, but still each slot is slightly different. Changing slot still may do the trick....

Before getting the second FW card I tried my original card in both slots and it behaved the same.

Kubrak wrote:

And what is the problem if HW runs OK with legacy driver? And now you have two FW cards, so no problem use one for RME and other for UAD. As @Vinark has suggested.

Not a problem per se with the legacy driver. Just a data point that on my rig, I cannot use the default windows 11 TI OHCP driver and have to use the legacy, which is not bundled with windows 11. Might be useful info for someone.

Even though I'm not crashing anymore, I do hear an occasional (seemingly random) audio glitch which I have not yet figured out why.

As you noted, my plan is to use one for RME and one for UAD.

Glitches may be due to big.little CPU architecture.... You may try to switch off e-cores or use Lasso SW to set affinity of CPU cores.

But sure, the source of glitches may be caused by other things....

Kubrak wrote:

Glitches may be due to big.little CPU architecture.... You may try to switch off e-cores or use Lasso SW to set affinity of CPU cores.

I've been hunting down the root cause, and windows 11 cpu parking seems to have been the culprit. Disabling that stopped the dropouts. Fingers crossed.