Topic: RME ADI-2 DAC FS (V2) + Singxer SU-6

Hello,

please I want to ask if anyone is using RME ADI-2 DAC FS connection with Singxer SU-6 USB DDC interface?

If so, is some audible improvement in the signal (generated by a pair of CCHD-957 femtosecond clock crystal oscillators) fed to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? In other words, which protocol is the best to choose and the appropriate cable to connect?

I found that 1x SPDIF Coaxial input on RME ADI-2 DAC FS is (according to IEC 60958, compatible with AES/EBU [AES3-1992]), so I found this cable, is it possible to use it?

pro snake AES/EBU SPDIF Cable 3 -
Digital Interface Cable

Length: 3 m
    XLR female -> RCA male
    Suitable for all RME Fireface Cards
    Impedance: 110 Ω
    Colour: Black
    Made in Germany

Thank you very much for your help and answer.

Re: RME ADI-2 DAC FS (V2) + Singxer SU-6

[facepalm.jpg]

What leads you to believe that this no-name DDC has better implementation of USB interface than the ADI-2 DAC FS and good enough SPDIF (or, for that matter, AES/EBU) output?

3 (edited by ramses 2024-04-01 18:22:06)

Yup, makes no sense at all.
All ADI-2 * products have FS clock already (ADI-2 DAC/Pro, ADI-2/4 Pro SE).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-01 18:25:24)

I’d suggest to use an optical cable.
Any will do.

This has the advantage of having no electrical contact, which can avoid noises introduced e.g. from the computer into your audio chain.
ADI-2 itself is immune against those noises, but external devices connected to ADI-2 might not.

I'm currently using an RME ADI-2 DAC FS connected to the PC's USB-A output, via USB A -> B cable. I'm using an ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING motherboard, which has these usable outputs: DisplayPort (1x), HDMI (1x), LAN 1Gb/s (1x), Optical S/PDIF (1x), USB 2.0 Type-A, USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (1x).

On Head-fi.org and on youtube reviews I view that this Singxer SU-6 is a fairly good digital to digital converter with a low level of jitter (76 ps RMS, peak 225 ps) and a low level of electrical noise via the coax output (3.332 mVrms, peak 13.73 mV). The instrument used for measurement was an Audio Precision APx555 B-Series Analyzer.
Please what are the values of these measurements for the RME ADI-2 DAC FS?

pjopek wrote:

On Head-fi.org and on youtube reviews I view that this Singxer SU-6 is a fairly good digital to digital converter with a low level of jitter (76 ps RMS, peak 225 ps) and a low level of electrical noise via the coax output (3.332 mVrms, peak 13.73 mV). The instrument used for measurement was an Audio Precision APx555 B-Series Analyzer.

Now you need to check if these mystic figures actually affect ADI-2's performance positively and, most importantly, audibly.

Is there any real problem with the ADI-2's own clock or USB interface that you are trying to solve?

7 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-01 22:19:28)

pjopek wrote:

on youtube reviews I view that this Singxer SU-6 is a fairly good digital to digital converter with a low level of jitter (76 ps RMS, peak 225 ps) and a low level of electrical noise via the coax output (3.332 mVrms, peak 13.73 mV).

Fortunately these not so good figures are completely meaningless for digital signal transfer.

ADI-2 is at about 1000 times (!) better. (1 ps = 1000 fs)
Furthermore ADI-2 cleans up jittery signals extremely effective to achieve these figures in real world situation where it counts, in DA-conversion.

Read ADI-2 DAC’s manual page 56, and ADI-2/4 Pro SE manual page 83.

In my experience the addition of a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 DDC did make a big positive difference, but as always your experience may be different.

Yes, I also think that adding a USB interface before the converter could have a positive effect on the resulting sound. I found several independent threads on the Singxer SU-6 where at least 100 people agreed on this and had these feelings.

"Singxer SU-6 seems to have better clarity of musical lines and cleaner instrumentals. The musical lines are much more distinct. The music gets more transparent and relaxed. Also dynamics and bass is better. The bass is better controlled and a bit punchier. The piano sounds like a piano, you can tell the kind of flute, the tambourine sounds like it should. You can hear guitar strings being plucked."

The only thing I have to test is how it fits together with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Especially with the installed drivers, connecting apparently via a coaxial cable as I wrote in the first post (AES/EBU -> SPDIF coax RCA). I also have a Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifier connected to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. And for me, I can write that with my HiFiMAN Arya Stealth headphones, the music sounds nicer or warmer with the Singxer SA-1 amplifier than with the headphone output of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Singxer SA-1 is a high-performance, full-featured Class A/B headphone amplifier and preamp based on discrete, fully balanced circuitry. I would characterize the sound as very very clean and quiet (almost "dead silent"), smooth and warm like a creamy caress, detailed with a large amount of space and a rich soundscape, nice separation of individual musical instruments.

Anyway, I got that Singxer SU-6 second-hand, half a year still under warranty for a nicer price, so I'll give feedback when I try it in combination with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

At worst, I'll send it further out into the world and sell it to someone else.

https://i.ibb.co/nBPBY8r/op.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue