Topic: RME ADI-2 DAC and integrated amplifier.

Hi everybody.
    I have a Primare I35. Using CD35Prisma (XLR) I listen to internet radio, music from USB or Tidal. For simplicity and speed, I'm used to pressing two buttons on the remote control (CD) and the last radio station I was listening to starts, with a mobile and loading the app, it's tedious for me.
    Does the RME ADI-2 DAC / PRO have an "auto start" function after detecting the presence of a signal, as well as an "Auto standby" function after ending the transmission to the optical or analog input?? Can I run it with all the EQs just using the volume on the amp?
I'm writing everything through a translator, so I apologize for any "typos".

2 (edited by waedi 2024-03-31 18:20:11)

Re: RME ADI-2 DAC and integrated amplifier.

Thanks for using a translator.
Do you mean the ADI-2 DAC FS ?
It has an Auto-dark-mode for the display and LEDs.
Page 27 in the user manual :
AutoDark Mode
OFF, ON. Default: OFF. Automatically turns off all LEDs and the display after 10 seconds of
user inactivity. A key press, turning an encoder, warning messages and the remote control will
temporarily activate LEDs and display again. Using the remote the time for entering dark mode
is 3 seconds.

You can leave the unit ON all the time and it will provide music whenever a signal is in.
And yes, you can use your amp for the volume and the EQ from the DAC is working.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-31 21:46:31)

I strictly vote against leaving on electronics all the time.

This behavior significantly reduces the devices’ lifespans and wastes a lot of unnecessary energy, while vaporing gases from exotic capacitors in exotic tube amps pollute your living space.

Ever noticed “that” electronics smell?
Do you think it’s healthy - I can tell you it’s not.

There are many solutions even for the lazy ones.
The most simplistic is a switched power strip, even better is a master-slave switching power strip.

Back to the core of the topic:

ADI-2 does not have automatic power on, but Auto Standby:
SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Auto Standby: set a time from 30min to 4h.

ADI-2 detects “no audio present” for this to happen, 1h usually fits well.

The other way round, ADI-2/4 Pro SE offers a 12 V trigger out socket that can switch on other devices like power amps.

4 (edited by jurajc 2024-04-01 05:43:35)

AutoDark mode on the display is not automatic standby or is it?
Regarding the second answer, the Primare doesn't have a Trigger IN, but I don't mind that. You both helped me a lot.
Thank you very much and I wish you a pleasant Easter.

5 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-01 18:39:39)

jurajc wrote:

AutoDark mode on the display is not automatic standby or is it?

Both are different features:
• Auto Dark Mode switches off the display.
• Auto Standby powers down ADI-2.

jurajc wrote:

Regarding the second answer, the Primare doesn't have a Trigger IN, but I don't mind that.

This is where a Master/Slave-Power Strip can add some convenience.

6 (edited by johny_2000 2024-04-03 02:58:51)

I think developing new power modes for the ADI-2 DACs will be a good suggestion for future models. Currently, the limitation is already built into the hardware (PCB) design and cannot be changed by updating the firmware. But it seems to me that there are not enough settings for the device’s power modes (automatic (signal) switching ON, trigger IN, scheduled switching ON/OFF) and software control of backlight LEDs (color, brightness, on/off modes).