1 (edited by mr.r 2024-04-01 00:38:18)

Topic: power and data transfer in future RME interfaces via one usb-c cable?

I liked the ease of use of RME interfaces where power and data were carried over a single cable. Like the Multiface or Babyface.

The interface had power when the computer was turned on and you could reduce the cable clutter.

Do you disconnect the power for interfaces with a PSU with the current RME interfaces?

Have you every noticed an sound improvement or a better headphone output when using an external PSU? I think it would also be easier on the road when you can power everything just with the laptop.

2 (edited by ramses 2024-04-01 01:11:42)

Re: power and data transfer in future RME interfaces via one usb-c cable?

For the Babyface it serves a purpose, mobile use. But by USB bus powered operation you also get limitations. So this makes only sense for interfaces that are designed for mobile use; otherwise you want stronger headphone outputs and more features.

The Multiface has the disadvantage that it would need a PCIe card. Difficult for Laptops. USB based interfaces can be used for various systems, also Laptops.

It is IMHO better to not rely on the power supply via the USB bus. In this way, you avoid all possible problems that could occur due to a computer power supply of low quality. Besides, you require a PSU anyway to enable stand-alone operation without a computer.

Regarding USB-C … We already had a discussion about it on the forum. Nobody really likes the smaller, more fragile plugs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm not the biggest fan of the usb-c plug too. But with Macs there is no way around. So why not use the very higher power delivery that is possible as an option?

What is the advantage to use an PSU when both ways can deliver lets say 30W?

Then there are poorly designed / cheap computer devices which do not comply with specifications or such and the issues begin…
And also many RME interfaces have a standalone mode, so a separate power supply makes sense anyway.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2