Topic: Secure 48V activation suggestion

Hello,

Yesterday I was doing some recording and I accidently clicked on the 48V button in Totalmix while trying to adjust the gain (these two buttons are close). Fortunately my old ribbon microphone was not plugged at that time otherwise I would have fried it.

It would be nice to have an option to enable (or disable) a secure pop up notification asking to confirm the activation of the 48V.
With this option the user could choose to display it or not.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
R.

Current: RME UCX II
Previous: Multiface > Fireface 800 > Babyface > Babyface Pro > Babyface Pro FS

Re: Secure 48V activation suggestion

I am not sure, but I believe there are cables or plugs that block phantom.  Would maybe be a good idea to use that with a fragile ribbon.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

I am not sure, but I believe there are cables or plugs that block phantom.  Would maybe be a good idea to use that with a fragile ribbon.

For sure there are inline boosters which need phantom power for themselves and do not pass through it to the mic. Maybe even simple 'blockers' exist…?
Anyway it’s a good idea from rexet in my opinion. An accidentally switched phantom button can happen and I guess such a security pop up wouldn’t be that hard to implement.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Some device exist indeed such as the Triton Audio Phantom Blocker but I just think such a feature would be easy to implement without having the need of a hardware device smile

I think even then, there is a good chance that you accidentally choose the wrong option.

Besides that, there are a lot of different use cases and scenarios where it wouldn't fit and make operation only much harder.

#1 Does it need a questionnaire after each power-on or after recalling one of the stores setups?
     Maybe the setup was changed in between or the device moved to a different location.

#2 What about stand-alone mode without TM FX?

#3 What about setups with many preamps / microphones in combination with #1 and #2?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I didn't think about these scenarios indeed, you got a point.

I agree it would be handy like the OP. But on the other hand nothing is worse then a false sense of security in this case. Only thing that would work from RME side IMHO is a switch at the underside or backside that disables 48V and even that only works if you are the only user.
The only foolproof solution for valuable mics is a blocker or a selfmade cable (pretty easy to make) and even then you will have to think about not forgetting them.

Vincent, Amsterdam

The best solution is to get a ribbon mic, that doesn't have this issue.
Then you do not need to take care of anything.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Regarding SW, it could be done, that one could configure particular input that 48V switch may be disabled and enabled. Say, point mouse on button, rightclick and choose from local menu enabled/disabled.

If disabled, one could not change state of button. It would be on or off. To change the state of button one would have to unlock its state to enabled.

I agree that still better is to use HW blocker or mic that does not mind.... But improving SW a bit may help as well....

10 (edited by vinark 2024-04-03 15:59:38)

Except there are many cases in which the software would load a different setting and you would assume yourself protected when if fact you are not. Only a hardware switch which can not be overridden in software would be really safe, unless multiple persons work with the same interface.
Just as it is to easy if you have a level mismatch with your monitors and listen at for example -30db to by accident send out audio at 0dbfs. Only a physical attenuator will be really safe.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Except there are many cases in which the software would load a different setting and you would assume yourself protected when if fact you are not. Only a hardware switch which can not be overridden in software would be really safe, unless multiple persons work with the same interface.
Just as it is to easy if you have a level mismatch with your monitors and listen at for example -30db to by accident send out audio at 0dbfs. Only a physical attenuator will be really safe.

I also noticed a parallel to level mismatch discussions.
Just do it right and it will not fail.