Topic: SPDIF in not receiving

Hi,
I've been setting up my new MacStudio with a Fireface 800. So far everything's perfect, the only thing I'm loosing my mind about is the SPDIF return. The signal does not arrive into my Logic.
Usually SPDIF should return on inputs 11-12 (or the 9-10) but there's no input signal on those channels in Logic. I can see SPDIF input signal on TotalMix alright, it's showing some input, but I'm not able to record it on Logic.
My setup is MacStudio Sonoma 14.2 => Fireface800 (& Mytek 8x96DAC via ADAT out1) => 16 channels into NEVE 8816 => Stereo sum into Mytek Stereo 96 AD => and then optical back into Fireface 800 via ADAT in2 to record the mixdown.
I'm sure it's just a tiny click to solve it, but I've tried everything, also in the Matrix, and I'm unable to solve it. In the Fireface Settings SPDIF in is set to ADAT2.

Any hint please?
Thanks

Re: SPDIF in not receiving

Do other signals from other input channels arrive in Logic ?
Otherwise check if Logic (and Totalmix) is enabled in MacOS system preferences Security&Privacy Microphone

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes, everything else is arriving fine.

waedi wrote:

Do other signals from other input channels arrive in Logic ?
Otherwise check if Logic (and Totalmix) is enabled in MacOS system preferences Security&Privacy Microphone

4 (edited by ramses 2024-04-02 08:55:04)

So you say you are getting the stereo sum back from Mytek to FF800 in SPDIF format:
    Mytek Stereo 96 AD---ADAT OUT-------------[SPDIF Format]---------->ADAT2 IN---FF800?

1. FF800 is clock master, all other units slaves, so clock synch is ok?
2. Do you use single or double speed?

Please use single speed for further testing, one step after the other.

3. Do you see metering activity in TM FX on the ADAT2 input channel ADAT 9/10 IN?

[To exclude DAW/Logic here and to check whether you get a valid audio signal]

4. route signal from ADAT 9/10 IN to FF800's phones output. Do you hear a valid audio signal on your phones output?
If you do not hear a valid input signal, did you ensure to send audio in SPDIF format on the Mytek side?
Look at the Mytek manual, there is a switch inside the unit. DIP Switch 3 has to be set to off to deliver SPDIF format.
DIP switch 4 + 5 seem to be only needed for ADAT, but to be on the safe side, put it also into the OFF position.

In the FF800 settings dialog ensure
a) to set ADAT2 to optical SPDIF
b) to set bandwidth to "All channels" otherwise not all channels will be routed through FireWire to PC/DAW

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

massivan wrote:

Usually SPDIF should return on inputs 11-12 (or the 9-10) but there's no input signal on those channels in Logic. I can see SPDIF input signal on TotalMix alright, it's showing some input, but I'm not able to record it on Logic. 

In the Fireface Settings SPDIF in is set to ADAT2.

Inputs 9/10 is correct, but not 11/12!
SPDIF setting 'ADAT2' is correct when an optical connection is used.
I think I also had occasional issues with signals not reaching Logic. A restart of Logic or maybe the whole system always solved it.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

ramses wrote:

3. Do you see metering activity in TM FX on the ADAT2 input channel ADAT 9/10 IN?

I think signals should show up on SPDIF channels (inputs 9/10), not ADAT! To my knowledge the second optical port replaces the coax and the channels are still nr. 9/10.

ramses wrote:

b) to set bandwidth to "All channels" otherwise not all channels will be routed through FireWire to PC/DAW

Good hint!

oli77sch wrote:
ramses wrote:

I think signals should show up on SPDIF channels (inputs 9/10), not ADAT! To my knowledge the second optical port replaces the coax and the channels are still nr. 9/10.!

BTW ... was only a guess from my side not knowing all specifics of the FF800 and not having the time to check whole manual.

At the end of the day he will see the input signal by looking at TM FX where he sees metering activity.
Then he can identify the proper fader/channel by "eye view" and move the proper input fader up for checking audio on phones channel as proposed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It actually works today, thanks everyone for your input.

And yes, on the FF800 it's 11/12 because 9/10 is assigned as Analog Input 9/10, so today I got the fine and clean signal back open 11/12. Must have been just a question of rebooting everything, although I did that quite a few times the other day.

Thanks again!

oli77sch wrote:
massivan wrote:

I think I also had occasional issues with signals not reaching Logic. A restart of Logic or maybe the whole system always solved it.

I was just about to go through your list, but today it works.

Thanks for your effort anyway Ramses!!

ramses wrote:

So you say you are getting the stereo sum back from Mytek to FF800 in SPDIF format:
    Mytek Stereo 96 AD---ADAT OUT-------------[SPDIF Format]---------->ADAT2 IN---FF800?

1. FF800 is clock master, all other units slaves, so clock synch is ok?
2. Do you use single or double speed?

Please use single speed for further testing, one step after the other.

4. route signal from ADAT 9/10 IN to FF800's phones output. Do you hear a valid audio signal on your phones output?
If you do not hear a valid input signal, did you ensure to send audio in SPDIF format on the Mytek side?
Look at the Mytek manual, there is a switch inside the unit. DIP Switch 3 has to be set to off to deliver SPDIF format.
DIP switch 4 + 5 seem to be only needed for ADAT, but to be on the safe side, put it also into the OFF position.

In the FF800 settings dialog ensure
a) to set ADAT2 to optical SPDIF

massivan wrote:

And yes, on the FF800 it's 11/12 because 9/10 is assigned as Analog Input 9/10, so today I got the fine and clean signal back open 11/12. Must have been just a question of rebooting everything, although I did that quite a few times the other day.

Thanks again!

oli77sch wrote:
massivan wrote:

Sorry please, I was really wrong with the channel numbers (and even insisting, arrrgh) - so not helpful from my side...! There are 10 analog inputs on this interface and of course SPDIF cannot be on 9/10.
Glad you solved it.

Absolutely no worries, thank you for your help!!!

oli77sch wrote:
massivan wrote:

Thanks again!

oli77sch wrote:

Sorry please, I was really wrong with the channel numbers (and even insisting, arrrgh) - so not helpful from my side...! There are 10 analog inputs on this interface and of course SPDIF cannot be on 9/10.
Glad you solved it.