1 (edited by crazybaby 2024-03-30 21:08:47)

Topic: Orange/Red LED Inside Case on Left and Right Sides ADI-2/4 PRO SE

Is there a purpose for the orange or red lights inside the case on the middle edges of the circuit board?  Is it aesthetics? Can these be controlled in any way?  My device sits on my desk on my front right side, and sometimes I get slightly alarmed that the DAC is on fire when I see this lit up from the side. These lights were not present on my older ADI-2 DAC FS.

Hoping it is not some indication of a technical problem with the unit, though I have not experienced any issues.

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-31 01:12:48)

Re: Orange/Red LED Inside Case on Left and Right Sides ADI-2/4 PRO SE

I am not sure that these serve another purpose than pure aesthetics.
LED’s are often used as voltage reference.

If ADI-2 burns you will smell it for sure BTW smile

The orange LEDs appear to be the lights for the ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition, the one with the transparent top.  I suppose mine shares a similar PCB layout. It's not a big deal, just something I had noticed. They do not shut off with Dark Mode, either.

Same request for a future model to provide software control of these ambient lighting LEDs such as color, brightness, on/off states and schedules. When the device is installed in a dark bedroom, it emits too much light, which is not always pleasant for everyone.

One way to change it in current devices when their warranty runs out is to unsolder the LEDs from the board.

5 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-03 07:09:06)

johny_2000 wrote:

…One way to change it in current devices when their warranty runs out is to unsolder the LEDs from the board.

I‘d keep from soldering inside ADI-2 - and I‘m a solder guy!

To tame the LED‘s light, a little piece of sticky black tape does the job.

Small animals can also be attracted by the light and crawl into the housing.

It could be a combination of marketing ("chimney fire" - LEDs are arranged symmetrically) and technology (indication of working operating voltage).

7 (edited by johny_2000 2024-04-03 18:02:39)

KaiS wrote:

I‘d keep from soldering inside ADI-2 - and I‘m a solder guy!

Come on, if you know how to solder, removing LEDs is not comparable to reflowing BGAs.

KaiS wrote:

In this case, the ventilation holes of the case will be blocked, which may degrade the temperature balance of the device.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, ambient lighting is a great feature when used wisely. I mean using RGB diodes with appropriate software control such as color, brightness, on/off modes. Personally, I'm willing to pay more for a new device with all these features.

8 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-03 22:47:29)

johny_2000 wrote:
KaiS wrote:

In this case, the ventilation holes of the case will be blocked, which may degrade the temperature balance of the device.

Hey, not taping the vent holes of course!
Opening the case (if out of warranty anyway) and covering the LEDs with tiny pieces of black tape.

Opposed to removing the LEDs this is easily reverted.

Seems sometimes one has to be more precise.

johny_2000 wrote:

I mean using RGB diodes with appropriate software control such as color, brightness, on/off modes. Personally, I'm willing to pay more for a new device with all these features.

This device is not a children's toy.

unpluggged wrote:
johny_2000 wrote:

I mean using RGB diodes with appropriate software control such as color, brightness, on/off modes. Personally, I'm willing to pay more for a new device with all these features.

This device is not a children's toy.

Then what is the purpose of this ambient lighting anyway?
The manufacturer put it there first.

But that doesn't mean it will be good for everyone. Colors and brightness are very subjective values for individuals. Providing some flexibility in the system will allow customers to customize the appearance to their liking or disable it if it suits their needs better.

johny_2000 wrote:

Then what is the purpose of this ambient lighting anyway?
The manufacturer put it there first.

Those leds appeared there originally for ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition, the special model which had windowed chassis top. To, apparently, bring "tube amplifier glow" and "analog feeling" -visual effect for this otherwise troughout digital device.

After ADI´s anniversary year (2017) passed, and as such production runs of ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition, those orange leds remained on board in following ADI-2 Pro generations (FS and FS R), and its later announced sister models ADI-2 DAC & ADI-2/4 Pro too.

My quess is, removing them now from ADI-2 would cause additional production costs/difficulties, or even (as chain reaction) require circuit topological other changes to ADI´s main board. Which RME may be reluctant to do. Seemingly cheap-and-easy-to do -things may actually not be so cheap, neither easy.

So, orange leds have stayed around, as visual "tube amplifier" -effect lights, until today.

In my opinion those leds are OK, kind of belonging to ADI´s physical appearance.

Of course it would be nice if AutoDark -function could control them too. But that´s very likely currently not possible.

12 (edited by johny_2000 2024-04-06 23:54:43)

MstrC-117 wrote:

Those leds appeared there originally for ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition, the special model which had windowed chassis top. To, apparently, bring "tube amplifier glow" and "analog feeling" -visual effect for this otherwise troughout digital device.

After ADI´s anniversary year (2017) passed, and as such production runs of ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition, those orange leds remained on board in following ADI-2 Pro generations (FS and FS R), and its later announced sister models ADI-2 DAC & ADI-2/4 Pro too.

My guess is that they produced more of these "anniversary" boards and later used them in regular models.
Or they decided that it looked great and should be left in production as is.

MstrC-117 wrote:

Of course it would be nice if AutoDark-function could control them too. But that´s very likely currently not possible.

Right. This is not possible with current models due to the circuit design. But it will be a good idea for future models. I think that the ADI-2 DACs are quite popular among home users, for whom colored lighting in dark places for listening to music does not always fit into the interior design. The ring LED on the power button was much more annoying (I liked another user's comparison of it to the "Eye of Sauron"). I covered it with a black opaque sticker. That's enough for now.