Topic: Fireface UFX II + ADI-2 Pro FS R BE + Pulse16 digital I/O problem

Hi there, i'm stuck reading conflicting opinions on the digital i/o capabilities of the UFX II.

current setup: Fireface UFX II connected through AES to the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and from there to my monitors and headphones. The ADI-2 is essential to be right in front of my monitors as it handles some room eq dsp, i love the quality, and is super handy as a monitor controller on my desk.

my question: i now need to hook up an ad/da converter (looking at Pulse 16) for my outboard gear and want to utilize all 4 UFX ADAT connectors to have the option for higher samplerates. I'm reading some places that this cannot be done with the UFX II as there is some conflict with the AES out, and one of the 2 ADATS. So it's either one or the other (ADAT vs AES) and I will never be able to utilize the full potential of the Pulse and the ADI-2 together with the UFX.

Would be great if someone with more knowledge can provide a definitive answer here, i'm exhausted after a full day of trying the find the answer online smile thanks in advance!

Re: Fireface UFX II + ADI-2 Pro FS R BE + Pulse16 digital I/O problem

The UFX II has only 2x ADAT I/O (2x in, 2x out), this fits for Pulse 16 in single speed.

With the older UFX II you need to set ADAT to support ADAT protocol, not SPDIF.
Then you have independend AES and ADAT ports.

With the new UFX II you have the same enhanced analog and digital section of UFX III.
There you can configure both ADAT ports for using SPDIF protocol.

But still its too few for connecting Pulse 16 for double speed what you want to achive.

Sell the UFX II, get the UFX III with MADI and get the Pulse 16M or upgrade the Pulse 16 to MADI.
Then you can use the Pulse 16 via MADI up to quad speed if you want, although I think double speed is really enough.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thanks Ramses, selling the UFX isn't really an option at the moment, it's a recent buy, so i'm assuming it's the newer version you're talking about? just to clarify, if the 2 ADAT I/O's are available and there's no problem using the AES connection to the ADI, wouldn't that allow 8 channels at double speed to the Pulse?

as referenced in one of your other helpful comments in another thread:

If I understood you right you wanted to know whether you could operate your Pulse 16 at double speed.

If you have 4x ADAT I/O this is of course possible.

ADAT = 8ch @single speed, 4ch @double speed (88.2/96 kHz).
With 4x ADAT I/O you get 32ch at single speed and 16ch at double speed. Fits for one Pulse 16.

from https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=39085

4 (edited by ramses 2024-04-08 22:38:24)

The other thread was about Digiface USB with 4x ADAT I/O.

With any UFX II (older and newer version) it's possible to use only 8 channels of Pulse 16 at double speed via 2x ADAT I/O
and ADI-2 Pro via AES.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ah wow ok, that's a relief smile exactly the answer i was looking for, i won't need more than 8 channels at double speed so that will work out perfectly. Thanks so much for your time, really appreciate it!