Topic: Newbie

Hello,

I’m totally new to pro audio and need help…

I’m trying to output music from an Apple MacBook to a preamp via USB. In my computer, I choose Fireface UCX II as audio output. In TotalMix I see an ANALOGUE software playback channel. In the output row I choose SPDIF (optical). The ‘S’ signal indicator on the Fireface jumps up and down. On my preamp I see ‘PCM’ which indicates there is a signal I suppose, but… I hear no music.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot,

Serge

Re: Newbie

Did you set the optical output to SPDIF in the Fireface settings?

From the manual (page 45):
SPDIF optical output
To send out SPDIF from the optical output, select the option Output Format Optical – SPDIF in the Settings dialog. The output signal in TotalMix has to be present on the ADAT channels 1/2.
Note that most consumer HiFi equipment (with optical or phono SPDIF inputs) will only ac-cept signals in ‘Consumer’ format!
Therefore in SPDIF mode the optical output is fixed to Consumer status.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

What do you mean by ‘settings dialog’? There are so many settings :-)

In Mac and Windows there is Fireface settings dialog. See from page 16 in the manual. There is stated where you can find it in Windows and what you can set. For Mac this a a special App.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b8rMTVDBLQOSz8nZASLYikcA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b8rMTV … nZASLYikcA

That should be correct. Now you need to route the Audio to "AS". Here's how routing works in TotalMix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkxzYlB … mp;pp=iAQB

Regards,
Audio AG Support

It works!

1. It’s confusing I have to activate ADAT to get an SPDIF output
2. Why is my USB signal shown as Analogue 1/2 ?

1. ADAT is just not the same as optical SPDIF. And ADAT has 8 channels and SPDIF 2, the first 2 of ADAT. The SPDIF channel in TotalMix is the coaxial RCA output.
2. It doesn't matter where you see it in the middle row(Software playback). It's important that you route that signal to the row down below (hardware output), hence the SPDIF (ADAT 1 channel.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Thanks a lot! Now I can start discovering the unit :-)

1. SPDIF = coax. Normal it didn’t work (but something you have to know)
2. It doesn’t matter? So why these inputs are labeled Analogue, AES, … ? Default label I can rename?

Again, many thanks to get me started,

Serge

Serge.Nelissen wrote:

. It doesn’t matter? So why these inputs are labeled Analogue, AES, … ?

The middle row channels are not labelled. And AS stands for ADAT/SPDIF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The middle row channels are NOT labelled.

What do you mean with not labelled?
For me the middle row software playback channels also have names like AN 1/2 etc.
I always rename them into something like DAW 1/2 or Pb 1/2, as I find their standard names very confusing and misleading.
AN1/2 etc. in the middle row only really makes sense as a name when resetting the whole mix to “Straight playback” (in which case I could set total mix to DAW mode and wouldn’t need the extra layer).

To the topic creator:
The matrix view shows yet another naming and numbering, which is simply counting up. This often helps to figure out the exact number of each channel which is mostly the information needed when setting up DAWs.
e.g what is shown as MADI 1/2 in the mixer view is actually corresponding to Channel 31/32.

You are right, I had something totally different in mind. Still the labels make double sense: first they equal the default state, second often enough also the name of WDM and ASIO channels.

Sure, if you fiddle a lot with everything the right way is to rename them fitting your workflow.

But to get back to the question: it does NOT matter on which playback channel the sound appears, it just needs to be rerouted accordingly, so that was answered correctly in post #9.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, but you don’t explain WHY they are labeled that way. It’s confusing. Better would be to label them ‘Unassigned’ or something like that.

Serge.Nelissen wrote:

OK, but you don’t explain WHY they are labeled that way. It’s confusing. Better would be to label them ‘Unassigned’ or something like that.

Because they correspond to physical outputs (the hardware outputs in Totalmix) when routed directly or in DAW mode, see manual.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Even in the standard setting, isn't the software playback AN 1/2 usually routed to several hardware outputs, not only to AN 1/2 but also all others?
I agree, I find it quite confusing and had countless users who were confused about it.

As said, I really recommend having a deep look at the Matrix to gain a good overview on what is actually going on.

The names of the software playback channels in Totalmix are corresponding to the outputs you can see in a DAW or other multichannel software. That’s a good thing in my opinion.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

18 (edited by hselters 2024-04-10 11:23:22)

oli77sch wrote:

The names of the software playback channels in Totalmix are corresponding to the outputs you can see in a DAW or other multichannel software. That’s a good thing in my opinion.

You are right, for new users it might be more helpful to have some names. And as long as you use Total Mix in DAW mode or in its straight playback setting, it all makes sense.

But it also depends on the DAW, in Ableton the channel names don't show up automatically (you can set any name by hand though).
Standalone software often only shows channel numbers (like Audio Hijack, CV Toolkit,...) and when working in Max or similar environments, you always need the number, too.
Hence, the switch to the Matrix view (or a renaming of channels) to see the unique number, can be very helpful.

Actually it would be way less confusing if all channels are numbered through counting upwards, they could still carry a name.

Names like ADAT 1 and ADAT 2 can also be confusing in their double meaning as individual channel names and 8 Ch outputs.

19 (edited by ramses 2024-04-10 11:49:08)

I don't understand how one can have such problems with this.

As you yourself say, both in the DAW and in TotalMix FX, you can use user-defined names.
So just rename them the way you want.
Since tastes can vary significantly in this regard, one must first establish a universally understandable basis.
Which is why the standard names are being used that are also stored in the driver.

How this is being shown or organized in the DAW is anyway no topic of RME, it's the way the programmer of the DAW decided this to show.

Sorry, but I think your remark regarding ADAT1 and ADAT2 is inappropriate. It is clear from the context that it refers to the ADAT port (not the channels inside). RME interfaces can have up to 4 of them. Therefore, they are also named ADAT1-4 in this 'port context.'

Within a digital port, there are a different number of channels, which sometimes also depends on the sample rate being in use. Channels are in a different context.

My recommendation to you: often, it's easier and advisable to learn things as they are. After all, the current concept isn't illogical in any way. It seems, however, that you believe that everything should be renamed exactly as you envision.
Well, actually you can do that yourself if you wish. No need to change a well-known and established concept.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

hselters wrote:

But it also depends on the DAW, in Ableton the channel names don't show up automatically (you can set any name by hand though).
Standalone software often only shows channel numbers (like Audio Hijack, CV Toolkit,...) and when working in Max or similar environments, you always need the number, too.
Hence, the switch to the Matrix view (or a renaming of channels) to see the unique number, can be very helpful.

Actually it would be way less confusing if all channels are numbered through counting upwards, they could still carry a name.

Names like ADAT 1 and ADAT 2 can also be confusing in their double meaning as individual channel names and 8 Ch outputs.

Agreed in all points!

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

21 (edited by ramses 2024-04-10 11:55:03)

Hmm, slowly I think there is a misunderstanding, but I do not see where.

Therefore, a proactive sorry, should I have misunderstood hselters or you on this topic.

Can anybody of you two please post a screenshot to make it maybe better visible, what you mean?

Simply a screenshot of Matrix view (maybe also of DAW if needed) and use a tool like Greenshot
to paint/mark in the screenshot what you think is missing there.

I would really like to understand your point. Thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13