Topic: Shortcuttuing the contacts around damaged on-off switch to run UCX

Hi

The ucx unit was dropped resulting in on-off switch being damaged.

Before the replacement will arrive, can you please tell me if its possible to shortcut some contacts around the switch to run the interface?

Do you think it is possible/a fairly easy task to do?

Is there an electronic layout available?

Thanks!

2 (edited by ramses 2024-03-28 13:44:28)

Re: Shortcuttuing the contacts around damaged on-off switch to run UCX

I am not a trained electronics technician. But I hardly think that such a person would be willing to give you any half-baken advice remotely without inspecting the device.

Either you are a trained service technician and can see the components and connections for yourself and do it yourself in own responsibility or, as a layman, you'd better leave it alone.

This is not meant maliciously, please don't take it the wrong way, but as a layman you can and will possibly break more than the whole thing is worth.

I would rather recommend buying a quickly available replacement device nearby. This probably doesn't even have to be an RME device, but simply something that you can connect headphones or monitors to. Possibly, even by using your computer's outputs for the moment, so that at least a little works.

This will also ensure that the defective device does not break down any further. It is better to leave it as it is and clarify whether a repair is possible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your reply!

I understand what you mean and agree on a high level.

I was more seeking for a reply with someones experience if its an easy task. Or disassembling a unit itself takes more time and effort... etc. Because I have not done it yet (disassembling).

Also once I have an electronic layout I believe I can manage to do it myself.

It was dropped when switched off and the switch pin was broken so I just cannot physically move it.
I don't believe there is anything else...

4 (edited by ramses 2024-03-28 14:41:12)

> I was more seeking for a reply with someones experience if its an easy task.

I am "experienced" and can tell you from own "experiences", even if I was used to iron an electronic circuit, a VT100 terminal card, building up my own VME bus computer, replacing EPROMs and what not...

I was never a trained service technician for stuff like that ...

The last time when I was doing some things I broke more than repairing it.

For someone who knows and who has the proper devices and skills it might be an "isi pisi" task.

But if you can not answer this question yourself, then my "experience" tells me, that you should not do it on your own.

IMHO you would have the required skill if you could answer this yourself.

If the PCB should be multilayer, then you should also be able to recognize this yourself, especially with multilayer PCBs things can go very wrong.

Of course only my $0.02 to this topic ... wait what RME will recommend you...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by vinark 2024-03-28 14:34:38)

If broken of, the first thing and probably only thing I would try is to force the switch in the on position with something like a micro screwdriver or pick. That of course without any power connected. Then if I had the idea I was succesful I would connect the power.
That said I had no problems replacing a ADI8 power supply, so I would be confident to replace or short circuit  a switch too, but this one looks rather specific and hard to get (at least from the outside).
Also maybe opening up the ucx gives acces to setting the switch in the on position if doing it from the outside fails.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thank you for the suggestions!

I did not have time yet to disassemble it... Probably will bring it to the repair service.
In this regard are there any official RME repair service centers listed somewhere? I could not find it.

If bringing to a local one, are there RME part sold somewhere to replace by a proper one?

And I still could find an electronic layout - is it also available somewhere?

Thanks

PS: should I tag an official representative here (are there any?) to get answer for those specific answers?

As far as I know @mc reads everything on the forum

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

In this regard are there any official RME repair service centers listed somewhere? I could not find it.

https://rme-audio.de/support.html

Is it really so hard to find the support button ;-)

If bringing to a local one, are there RME part sold somewhere to replace by a proper one?

https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113

if its possible to shortcut some contacts around the switch to run the interface?

Also once I have an electronic layout I believe I can manage to do it myself.

And I still could find an electronic layout - is it also available somewhere?

Weird questions... If you need an electronic layout for replacing a simple On/Off Switch... If you seriously ask if its possible to "shortcut some contacts"... says it all. Good decision, not to touch it and contact either RME support or your local electrician service.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Weird questions... If you need an electronic layout for replacing a simple On/Off Switch... If you seriously ask if its possible to "shortcut some contacts"... says it all. Good decision, not to touch it and contact either RME support or your local electrician service.

Thanks for the links. That switch is not that simple and seems to be a double pole. The idea of "shortcut some contacts" came on the fly without really looking into it.
It is always better to use an electronic layout - someone made it exactly for this purpose. So why won't use it if available smile

Yes seems to be a bi pole switch…
You described that only the Switch is damaged in your first post.
Still do not understand, why an electronic layout shoud be neded as your „not that simple“ suggestion would result in soldering more than 2 contacts.
Anyhow. Good luck!

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard