1 (edited by Magnus 2024-04-15 10:18:14)

Topic: Mobos and Intel cpu for HDSPe AIO

Hi all,

I have started the tedious process of putting together a new pc for my HDSPe AIO sound card. I will be replacing an i7 6700K build, that has served me remarkably well over the years.

So, any recommendations for mobos and cpus that will play nicely with the AIO would be greatly appreciated, as would comments on mobos, chipsets and cpus with known issues in this configuration.

I have always built my pcs around Intel cpus, so I would like to stick to that. My budget is not unlimited, but I would like to build something fairly longlived. My current pc is on its 9th year of service now. So something like that.

I use Cubase Pro 13. My projects are audio only, no vstis, no midi. I use a lot of Acustica Audio fx, which is basically samples, so will need a fair amount of RAM. Also, I record externally and import the recordings into the pc. So I will not be using the new pc for recording.

So, what should I stay clear of? And what should I be looking at?

All the best,

Magnus

2 (edited by ramses 2024-04-17 09:02:28)

Re: Mobos and Intel cpu for HDSPe AIO

Hi Magnus, how are you? Long time not heard from you.

As far as chipsets are concerned, I can't give you a recommendation. I think everything will more or less perform.

It is difficult to make a recommendation for CPU and mainboard at the moment.

Intel buys performance with very high energy-consumption, and I don't really know what to make of the mix of power and efficiency cores. Only under Windows 11 is the Intel Thread director supposed to not only differentiate between P and E cores, but also take the performance of the E cores into account. You'll have to google it.

But that's where the second problem lurks, Windows 11. The modified EULA, even the Professional version, only allows local accounts via trickery. Apart from that, the security design is completely over the top and makes the devices much too slow. I would not consider Windows 11 at the moment.

If it's not urgent, then I would wait for the new Ryzen platform towards the end of the year. I think there will be another big push forward.

Another issue is that I find that the socket layout on most motherboards is no longer so successful. Everything is plastered with M.2 and there is hardly any space left for later expansions.

Possibly, I will look again for a mainboard from Supermicro, but this time not Intel/Xeon based.

When choosing a motherboard, I would also make sure that 10 Gbit interfaces are available.
In my opinion, 1 and 2.5 Gbit are already pretty outdated.

I am not sure whether you want this mainboard also for gaming. At the moment there is much going on with AI and I question myself whether it might be worth to wait for an AI accelerator on the mainboard (in addition to CPU and GPU, which is currently planned) or whether to avoid this topic entirely without the system and the OS.

If you want to get an impression what is going on on the market I would suggest you listen to the key note of Jensen Huang, nVidia's CEO. Its long but worth to watch. I watched now 50%.
It is incredible how nVidia leverages Moores Law in terms of compute power. Look at it, it is amazing what is going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8DKD78BrQA

As I said, not sure, what system I would choose in the next 1-2y.
But as the next desktop computer might be sufficient for the next 10y (like my current system), when it should be a system where everything is in what I might need in the next 5-10y. This is at least my planning.

Last recently I upgraded my system to an 8-core CPU, which cost €1800 4y ago, not I got it from eBay for around €150.
I put in several new USB cards (the old card got coil while, unbelievable).
Additionally, a BIOS Raid-0 of 3×8 TB Samsung 870 QVO to act as quick buffer for backup (local and network backup).
As well as a  10 Gbit network card from Intel (2x SFP+ to get multimode).
As Graphic card, an RTX 4070 was fully sufficient and has the advantage that it takes only 2 PCIe slots so that there was one PCIe 3.0 x8 socket left for the network card and several USB cards.

You can take a look here for the components .. what I want to say .. a lot is possible if the mainboard allows for extensions and I had big luck, that the Intel Xeon Platform of CPUs allowed me to perform 2 upgrades.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … mponenten/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Magnus, I would recomend AMD over Intel. Intel's big-little can make problems even under Win11. Yes, one may switch e-cores off or use Lasso SW (or like), but why to risk the problems and need to handle them.

Another dissadvantage of Intel is that they have clockspeed way over optimum (in fact Intel sells something what could be considered as overclocked CPUs....). That means CPUs take double to triple TDH.... Intel's consume aproximately double the power of corresponding AMD. That means that Intels need better and more expensive cooling....

As Ramses said, if not in hurrry it may be good to wait for AMD Zen5. It should add at least 20% computing power. Probably more... Also, it will have much stronger AI support. AI coprocessor may be handy in future for audio processing.

It does not seem, Intel will have good CPU for few comming years. If they manage to make chips on currently developed 18A node, than maybe good CPU comes again....

I am not Intel hater, most of my computers I use have Intel CPU, but for music I have built AMD based miniPC, 8C/16T that has computing power somewhere between M1 Pro and M1 Max, few years ago.

4 (edited by vinark 2024-04-16 21:23:57)

I am running a 2600k @ 4.6ghz and I am still happy. Did you ever use the extra turbo of your 6700k? I read 4.6ghz should be easy.
For better performance then you have now you will need something with a high clock, like 4.6 or higher and more cores like 8 at least. More cores and slower speed will cause new problems.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

For better performance then you have now you will need something with a high clock, like 4.6 or higher and more cores like 8 at least. More cores and slower speed will cause new problems.

That is not right. At least not for AMD CPUs. It is partially true for Intels...

IPC (instructions pe cycle) rise quite a lot with each CPU generation, so CPU makes more work even with the same CPU clock.

AMD increases mainly IPC, not so much clock. That is the reason, why it needs half of energy for the same task comparing to Intel.

Hi everyone,

And thanks for providing me with food for thought. (And hi, Ramses, I am very well, thank you. The reason I haven't been around much - except for checking in secretely every now and then to see what is going on - is that my HDSPe AIO has been causing me absolutely no issues. The blessing of RME! I hope you are fine, too.)

So, I will have to reflect on this, I guess. I have to check out AMD now, I was afraid that this would turn out to be the case.

Ramses and Kubrak: I am not in a terrible hurry, so could wait for the Zen5. I want something reasonably affordable, with a long user life - like my current system. I had no idea that current mobos have so few expansion options. Very odd and concerning...

I am at least slightly aware of NVIDIA's AI processing. For this very reason I installed a Geforce RTX 3060, which has taken over all AI processing in Spectralayers Pro, slashing the time this takes drastically. So hopefully, this GPU plays nicely with AMD CPUs and mobos, and will migrate to my next machine.

Also, do these Win 11 issues also affect AMD systems or only Intels? Is Win 10 the way to go for a DAW pc?

Vinark: I am not sure about the turbo setting. I will read up. Honestly, though, I am a little afraid to destabilise my system, which has been extremely reliable and has given me peace of mind for my mixing sessions.

Thanks again for very very helpful replies. I will keep on checking back and reporting on any progress.

Best,

Magnus

7 (edited by ramses 2024-04-17 10:25:40)

> Is Win 10 the way to go for a DAW pc?

Yes, I think it is the best as of now.

As with every Windows version after Windows 7, it's always just a deterioration of the EULA to the detriment of the user.

The new security features of Windows 11, which slow down the computer so much that even such good and performant 8-core processors, like the one I use, are now just sluggish crutches, are simply a bad joke.
You can still bypass this by using Rufus though, to create a tweaked installation media to disable this security feature and to make installation on older systems possible where also other installation prerequisites are not met like e.g.: TPM and if I remember right also secure boot (I am still using legacy boot which is much easier). You only need secure boot if you have a boot partition over 2 TB. On the other hand, when using Rufus you have not a standard installation, and you never know how long these workarounds will continue to function.

That's why I consider it the more sensible approach not to use Windows 11 in the hope that supply and demand will prompt a rethink at Microsoft. And it appears that many people are not satisfied with Windows 11. The installation numbers reflect this and Microsoft is fully aware of it. Therefore, they announced a while ago, they want to integrate AI copilot into Windows 10 as well. Surely to our all benefit (cough, cough...). My fear is, that even more user data are then concentrated at Microsoft. Therefore, I prefer to use AI platforms only by using the browser.

As for Windows 11, all I can say is that it has become a perpetual construction site in the GUI area. First, unfortunately, many features were removed, then re-implemented, and the Start menu still isn't up to the standard it used to be.

What I also find very annoying are the new administration menus. The intention was to tidy things up here. Nice idea. But unfortunately, this hasn't been successful. The menus are way too cluttered, and every so often you have to scroll through 2–3 pages just to find what you're looking for, which is just poorly done.

Additionally, the font used is too large, and a lot of space is wasted. That's why I still use the old administration menus, which I at least know and where I don't have to constantly search for where something has been put, because it seems like they're constantly changing things around in there.

So, the best recommendation I can give is to still use Windows 10 for the time being to install Windows 10 Pro.
But this is my view on things, tastes and opinions are different.

And then the following applications to give it a shape...

- Installation of O&O Win10 Shutup to deactivate certain things that violate privacy or cost unnecessary performance (mini apps)
- StartIsBack++, for around €5 you get a very good implementation of older versions of Startmenue with a lot of customization options
- 8GadgetPack, if you like gadgets as much as I do.

While we are at it: an excellent, uncluttered gadget package is available from Orbmu2k:
https://orbmu2k.de/
You can't use everything from 8GadgetPack, many Gadgets are simply to colorful and feature overloaded, for example the performance related stuff (CPU, GPU, network). But at least it brings back the gadgets for now.

EDIT: Such articles demonstrate how Microsoft is "playing with GUI/startmenue".
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Windows- … e-1445411/
By installing StartIsBack++ your PC is at least more consistant in the look&feel and in the workflow.
Otherwise, every Windows Update could deliver you new surprises.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Forget about the overclock. I read up a little on the 6700k and since your cpu is already doing 4.0-4.2 Ghz, you can only get another 10% extra. My 2600k went from 3.6 to 4.6 which is  a worthwhile 30% almost.

Vincent, Amsterdam

ramses: Thank you again for even more valuable input, particularly concerning Win10 vs 11. I had no idea Win 11 was so restricted/constraining on performance. I am very happy with Win 10, so let's hope a future build will be compatible with it.

Thanks you also for the links: I will check out especially Win1 Shutup, since I think it would mean some performance gains. I am not too concerned about tracking etc, unless it hampers my pc performance. (To answer a question in your first post, I am not using my pc for gaming, only work and daw.)

vinark: Thanks for checking up on OC. My cpu is clocked at 4.00 GHz.

All the best to you both,

Magnus

If you stick with Win10, Intel's CPUs of 12th gen and higher (those having big-little) are more or less out of the game. Win10 CPU thread scheduler is not aware of big-little.

Maybe, that Win10 is workable even with current Intels with some tweaks and so on... Others could tell.

Zen 5 will use big-little, at least in some CPU models. But AMD's big-little means exactly the same cores for the both big and little. The difference is that "little" cores will have smaller cache and will run on a bit slower clock. So, instruction sets will be exactly the same, and performance of "little" cores just a bit worse than the "big" brothers.

Zen5 "small" cores are called Zen5c.

Thanks Kubrak, for explaining about the lack of that core support in Win 10. So if we are to avoid both Win 10 and 11, what should a poor guy do?

Best,

Magnus

AMD? But I am not sure if Zen5 will be supported by Win10. I hope so. There will not be that much difference between their "big" and "little". And most probably, they will make also models that will be pure "big".

Or you may go for current Zen4. Zen5 should fit into the same socket and maybe even Zen6. AMD keeps, unlike Intel, the same socket for several CPU generations...

Current strongest Zen4 has 16C/32T, so it has four times more cores than your current PC. By rough guess it may be five, six times stronger CPU.... Maybe no need to wait for Zen5 and if it will work fine on Win10 or not.....

Kubrak, just a question.
Are you 100% sure that Intel performs worse than AMD in the field of DAW?

Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity (money/time) to test this and I try to correlate the information I read to the best of my knowledge and belief.

I don't have the link anymore, but I found a product from a company that uses benchmarks simulating DAW load, and Intel performed damn well in these benchmarks, even surpassing AMD in some disciplines.

Also, in the Steinberg forum, there are people who are very satisfied with Intel performance.

In the end, it also depends on the application, how many cores are optimally supported.

The thread director is on the CPU. AFAIK there are two different versions and only Windows 11 can work optimal with the 2nd version of it. Maybe I forgot something, but I think that was one of the points.

I think, just because the Windows 10 or 11 process scheduler occasionally directs something to the wrong core on an unadjusted system doesn't necessarily mean that Intel CPUs are inherently bad.

Because there are plenty of ways, which I've posted here before, apparently to solve the problem of audio applications not landing on P-cores. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 20#p216420

Yes, AMD is currently doing well and works energy efficient. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Intel performs poorly in a DAW workload and is completely unusable.

I have a little the impression that you may be exaggerating the matter a bit without having had such a system yourself and tuned it accordingly.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic about it and would try to find a competent company that offers AMD and Intel systems to find out the specific advantages and disadvantages of a particular audio application.

Purely from gut feeling, I still prefer the design of the Intel CPUs, not really sure that AMD really performs well in all scenarios. There are two points I think: a) there is no shared cache, data has to be transferred between these "clusters" of 4 CPUs that are put together on the wafer, b) for the CPUs with the 3D cache only half of the cores are able to access it. And this is for me a strange design.

Why I think, lets perhaps see what Zen5 brings. Maybe it cleans up the design for such high performance CPUs which have this 3D cache.

Maybe we can both agree on this "simple fact", for me it has never been so hard to decide whether I would prefer Intel or AMD. I tend to be more attracted by AMD at the moment, but there are so many "rumours" that Intel is somehow still better in terms of BIOS, Chipset and such things. Earlier AMD systems were also known to have bad USB3 implementation if I recall correctly.

The other thing .. tricky to find a company for a turnkey system that you could really trust what's the best system for this or that kind of DAW ...

If energy consumption is key for you ... then maybe there is an easier answer, then you have to choose AMD or you need to start undervolting Intel CPUs like some of the people in the gaming area do. They reduce the high energy consumption but still keep enough of the performance of the CPUs.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/daw-d … -processor
Here are the answers

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanks, that was the link that I lost.

I thought so!

Vincent, Amsterdam

Ramses,
it depends on SW, if Intel's big-little is treated really well or not in audio applications. Leaving core scheduling on Win is asking for trouble...  So, if SW used is aware of big-little and approaches it well, than no real problem. Application handles it somehow. Most probably well.

But not all programs/plugins seem to work well. I still hear complaints on Native Instruments forum. And maybe I am remembering it wrongly, but it seems to me that even MC "complained" about big-little, but maybe it was more about Apple Silicon than big-little...

But simply, big-little brought problems to x86 realtime app. world. Sooner or later things will iron up and all time critical applications will work flawlessly.

If one knows, that given Intel works fine in DAW he uses, drivers he uses and so on. Just fine. AMD's may have other disadvantages as you have mentioned....

Concerning consumption.... Besides electricity bill, it is easier to cool  CPU with TDP 130 W that takes, say, up to 170 W, than CPU with TDP 200 W, that takes up to 500 W.... One also needs better motherboard, stronger PSU. And it is not so easy make it reasonably silent.... But Ok, one may set BIOS to force CPU consume less and for shorter time...

Concerning tests, vinark posted....
AFAIK things depend on memories used, OS used, and BIOS settings. So, those tests give certain picture, but may have different results with different memories, settings, or using different DAW.

18 (edited by vinark 2024-04-18 17:00:04)

Those tests are done by a very pro daw PC builder and show what is possible on a well build system without flaws. There is of course no way to tell if your own build will work as well. I build my own very cheaply with second hand stuff that is tried and tested, but if I had the budget I would buy from scan audio. I did make the budget for RME. Some second hand, some new. Personally I would go for 8 to 16 cores at 4ghz min, to make it a real upgrade. Contrary to an earlier post claiming generational performance increase, my 6 core 9th gen laptop at 4.4ghz performs exactly 1.5 times my 4 core 4.5 GHz 2nd gen desktop. My understanding is that floating point calculations where a daw is based on, does not benefit at all. Only plugins that use ave have had some improvement coming from even older CPUs.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Kubrak wrote:

Ramses,
it depends on SW, if Intel's big-little is treated really well or not in audio applications. Leaving core scheduling on Win is asking for trouble...  So, if SW used is aware of big-little and approaches it well, than no real problem. Application handles it somehow. Most probably well.

But not all programs/plugins seem to work well. I still hear complaints on Native Instruments forum. And maybe I am remembering it wrongly, but it seems to me that even MC "complained" about big-little, but maybe it was more about Apple Silicon than big-little...

Well, I told you now multiple ways how it is possible to pin applications to P cores.
With Bitsum Process Lasso this can be done very comfortably and even more.
Even bind energy profiles to certain applications.

Regarding people complaining on forums (NI; etc). Are you sure they set it up right?
You should orient better on the people who make something possible and are able to produce good builds.

Times didn't change much .. even before big/little there were people who get it done properly and some fail, because of various reasons and be it, that they used the Windows installation from factory which is quite often bloated and not working good at all...

Therefore, we have companies specialized on building PCs and workstations for audio and video processing and also to build certified setups for certain vendors applications.

I know one can tame things using Lasso and so on. But why to do it? It should work out of the box. And why use CPU that uses double the energy, makes double the heat that has to be treated and so on?

Magnus has asked for opinion. If he has known everything he needs, he would not ask, he would build the computer without need for asking.

Many people do not know about Lasso. They even do not know there is big-little in Intels.... Sure if one buys PC tuned for audio processing by professionals, then probably everything will work regardless what CPU it has. At least for DAWs it is "certified" for. But still it may have problems with programs it is not "certified" for.

OK, one may look at that, that there is so many problems/pecularities to deal with, that one more like big-little does not change much. Or one may look at it, why should I handle one more problem.

And it is not only big-little. Current Intels do not have AVX512 instructions. It may be OK now, but maybe not in foreseen future if more SW starts use it.

His final question was

> Him: So, what should I stay clear of? And what should I be looking at?

Kubrak, I am simply suggesting a more differentiated approach so that the pros and cons are clear.
You paint it too much in black and white.

> You: I know one can tame things using Lasso and so on. But why to do it? It should work out of the box.

It is not new that systems need to be customized for audio if you have a more challenging audio workload.

vinark wrote:

Contrary to an earlier post claiming generational performance increase, my 6 core 9th gen laptop at 4.4ghz performs exactly 1.5 times my 4 core 4.5 GHz 2nd gen desktop. My understanding is that floating point calculations where a daw is based on, does not benefit at all. Only plugins that use ave have had some improvement coming from even older CPUs.

Well, I speak about development of last few years. And more AMD than Intel. Intel went the way big-little and increasing clock instead of improving IPC. Because it did not have another way to be competetive with AMD. To design new CPU architecture and bring it as completed product takes several years (5 or so).

But comming Intels should have IPC 20-30% higher than current models. Zen5 should have also decent increase comparing to Zen4. And it will have more ALU so floating point computations should be way faster.

But OK, maybe it is better to consider only number of cores as thumb of rule.

------------------
One more note to the tests. Comparing AMD and Intel also depends on how well SW has been compiled. For example MathLab did not run on AMD as expected for many years just because some part was not compiled "AMD friendly". So, that test may be valid just for given version of given DAW.

For sure it gives picture, but I would not take it as cut to stone.

Wow, guys! I am following your discussion with interest, even though I am not constantly participating. I had no idea that the situation was so complicated in Windows land at the moment. Ten years ago, when I specced my current pc, basically what you had to do was to ensure there were no known issues between mobo chipsets and your sound card.

I can see why AMD may be the wiser choice right now, I am however unclear on what OS to use. Luckily, I am in no pressing hurry. I would like, though, to have something new within a year. My current system is really struggling to keep up with my new-fangled fascination with Acustica Audio. smile

All the best to everyone who is contributing to this discussion!

Magnus

Magnus one more note concerning AMD. It is my last note in this thread to avoid Intel x AMD "battle".

AMD has started using numbering schema that is OK, but it may be confusing to misleading if one does not know the system. The first number means sort of year of release, not generation of CPU core. And the same first digit may contain the both, newest CPU generation and older generation(s). Depending on third digit.

So, one has to look at other digits to be sure choosen CPU is of desired generation.

https://www.howtogeek.com/amds-cpu-nami … explained/

The numbering scheme is OK, if one understands it and does not expect that first number will do the trick...

25 (edited by ramses 2024-04-19 13:04:18)

Kubrak wrote:

Magnus one more note concerning AMD. It is my last note in this thread to avoid Intel x AMD "battle".

I'm sorry if you have the impression that someone has stepped on your toes.
You may have taken something the wrong way.

This isn't a battle. All I'm asking for is a slightly more differentiated approach and not to paint too black as far as Intel is concerned and not to simply ignore my finding how big/little problems can be solved.

A lot also depends on the application. In the DAW benchmarks, you can see clearly that the Intel CPUs don't perform that badly.

Although userbenchmark has a bad reputation (according to reddit comments), do you know perhaps what this remark has to say (under conclusions)?
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I … 4151vs4133

"So if you were thinking about getting the 13th gen i9 then the 14th gen is a no-brainer since it offers flawless performance for both gaming and productivity tasks. This is especially true since AMD's "equivalent" 7950x3d is haunted by software bugs and "features" such as needing to have Xbox game bar open 24/7 and having their motherboards overvolt and kill the CPUs."

I stumbled accidentally over this platform, am not sure, how good the information is therein.
Therefore, question to you, whether you know something about it.

What is perhaps also quite interesting is that Audionetworx, the company in the field of turnkey systems for audio and video processing (based on consumer hardware) still seems to offer Intel PCs for audio and video production. At least there is currently not a single AMD system in the product range. There used to be an AMD Threadripper, but not anymore.
https://www.da-x.de/de/audio-computer/a … steme.html
If you look at some articles from magazines 2-3 years old, they show, that Intel systems still seem to have an advantage in being able to efficiently handle a high DAW load with small buffer sizes without the ASIO load escalating.

And it might be that there is still some beef behind it. Otherwise, it does not make really sense, why they do not offer AMD-based products. In the end, they are also there to generate business for them.

I wanted to add this information to this discussion as I regard this as an interesting indicator plus the information from vinark's link, what Intel wasn't that bad in some disciplines (but not with the intention to have a fight on it, that would be silly).

Kubrak: Thanks for the explanation and link. Very useful.

ramses: I will definitely not exclude Intel, for many reasons. I had heard that the new ones were power hungry, and that may be an issue for me since I want my computers to be quiet. So, I will have do do more research.

A big thank you to you both for contributing to my quest...

Magnus

Ramses, for me OK, I haven't felt ofended and like. I just wanted to avoid possible AMD x Intel, Win x Linux, PC x Mac flamewar. It never leads anywhere. There is not to add much to the topic on my side. That is all, what I wanted say.

How much faster do you need? All this talk is about near cutting edge systems. Do you need 50% more, double or the fastest money can buy. And do you really need it. I hope to run my even older, 4 gens, for years to come.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark: yes, good question and a poignant reminder. Originally, I was thinking of something built around an i9 13900K cpu, if I can afford it. Generally speaking, I am aiming for something which will last me another 10 years, and which will not struggle with projects loaded with Acustica Audio plugins, like my current system actually does. So I would like a major leap in processing power, ideally much more than doubling the performance I have today.

Best,

Magnus

30 (edited by vinark 2024-04-20 12:28:21)

And is lowest latency important? Will you need 32 or 64 buffer or will 512 or 1024 do? For mixing I guess it will and accustica has high latency anyway.
If this is a yes, then your choices are easier and AMD will be fine too. Just get something with 12 or more cores at plus 4ghz. Preferably without e-cores. Then performance will be more then double.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Vincent, you are correct. Low latency is not important. I don’t use vstis. 512 would be great but 1024 would be more than acceptable. ATM I am at 4096 with quite noticeable lags in meters etc, and Asio guard maxing out.

Magnus

32 (edited by ramses 2024-04-20 13:20:22)

Hi Magnus,

you expressed a desire for the new system to last a long time, wasn't it something around 9 y like now if I remember right?

The more I think about it, the more I conclude that it's best to wait a bit before purchasing a PC and delay the hardware discussion and selection until later, when new products and technologies on the horizon become available.

It's good that we led this discussion to see where to look for, but maybe one year later we have possibly a different situation. Perhaps better to draw a final decision then when the picture about the future is much clearer in several areas: OS, CPU, GPU, AI, KI accelerator chips, to mention a few.

As I mentioned before (see NVIDIA CEO's keynote), the computing industry, particularly with AI, is undergoing a significant transformation. AI accelerators will be introduced for PCs. It'll be interesting to see the extent to which AI accelerators will benefit applications increasingly incorporating AI functions.
Even for seemingly mundane tasks like video rendering, graphics cards with CUDA interface have proven useful in relieving the CPU. The combination of AI accelerators and GPUs will likely enable more capabilities and alleviate strain on both the CPU and GPU. Perhaps this will also make mid-range graphics cards more viable. Undoubtedly, there will be future applications where these accelerators could prove highly useful.

Regarding CPUs, it's evident that endlessly increasing clock speeds will reach a limit, especially for Intel with their monolithic design with a shared cache. I'm curious about Intel's further evolution in CPU design. There has been speculation about a departure from monolithic CPU design towards a chiplet design, similar to what AMD employs. This approach has its pros and cons, but as I said, it's exciting to see what the new year brings. Intel will likely need to respond when AMD introduces a new Ryzen platform.

Lastly, it's already April 2024, and both Windows 10 and 11 will reach end of life around October 2025. New products are typically announced well in advance, as planning for migration is essential for everybody. It'll be interesting to see what the new Windows brings. Once 10 and 11 are no longer supported, and I don't receive security updates, I'll have to step out of my comfort zone and figure out how to install the successor product. Probably with Rufus, so I can continue using the old system for a while (Microsoft's side: too old CPU, no TPM, no Secure Boot), and disable core isolation to maintain performance.

As you can see, there are fundamental changes happening in so many areas right now. It might be wise to wait until there's more clarity on where things are headed in the near future before acquiring hardware that can accommodate these changes, should they prove beneficial.

Currently, I don't feel like buying a system would satisfy me for an extended period. Switching from old to new is tricky. I hesitate even thinking about it, considering how many optimizations I've made. Sure, the knowledge will carry over to the next PC, but setting up a new one is time-consuming.
Sure, anyone can do it quickly and roughly. But I've optimized so many things and installed so much software; it'll be quite a task to get everything back to where it was, plus the risk that something might not run optimally out of the box.
I'd prefer to do this only once and then not have to worry about it for the next 8+ years.

I am not sure whether you or others share the same feelings / views. But I will definitely wait until there is more clarity to where the journey goes. I am confident, that my system is powerful enough to survive 2-3 more years if necessary and I am positive that there will be still ways to tweak the Windows installation in a way, that the old HW will be still supported.
If not, well then I would have to change my plans and adopt to reality wink

Hi ramses,

You are probably right that this might not be the best moment for a new daw pc... I think I have already expanded my ASUS 170A mobo/current setup as much as I can, mainly with ssds and the rtx 3060 gpu, which really helps with the AI unmix stems process in Spectralayers pro.

You are definitely right about the PITA in setting up a new system. That is not something I look forward to doing... A time consuming task, indeed.

As I explained above, I never imagined speccing a new pc would be this difficult. For my previous daws all I had to do was to find a mobo with a chipset that was compatible with my soundcard, and then get the fastest cpu I could reasonably afford. I was aware of the huge power consumption of the current intel cpus, but I was not at all prepared for the confusion regarding operating systems etc that has been pointed out in this topic.

Perhaps I can optimise my Win 10 a little more, to get a little more performance out of what I have. Today, I have done some optimisations (mainly going through and disabling background apps etc), and this does seem to have made the Cubase asio guard a little happier. So yes, I could probably wait until next year.

The only thing is, I am not so sure I can afford one of the brand new cpus. Usually, I go for last year's model, or the year before that, for best affordability vs performance ratio.

I will have to keep thinking. The input in this thread has certainly provided me with a lot of food for that!

Best,

Magnus