Topic: Reporting strange behavior when balanced phone mode.

Hi.
I am a happy owner of a Pro FS R Be and a DAC FS for years.

Here I want to report a minor issue I learned over the years, along with a solution, regarding balanced phone mode.
I call it minor because only handful of users might experience this.

====

My setup:
- My PC
- RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Be
- HD800 headphone on balanced phone mode.
- In Setup/Phones, 'Mute vs. Line' are OFF (for both 1/2 and 3/4)

Symptoms:
- Right channel suddenly turns off with a click on the device, and within a few seconds, turns on with a click.

How to reproduce:
This happens in certain games in certain conditions. Very strange... but... yeah.
- In Overwatch 2, pick the character named Dva and start shooting. (or get near to Dva who is shooting) In 2-3 seconds, the symtoms occurs. This happens 100% so very easy to reproduce. Strangely, this happens even when the volume is very low (when almost not audiable).
- In Starcraft 2, the symptom occurs randomly. Play the game for 10 mins and it happens.

My solution:
- 'Mute vs. Line' to be ON for both 1/2 and 3/4. (Default is ON, so you're good if you didn't mess with it on purpose.)

====

Some years back I set that option to OFF for some stupid reason I don't remember.
This haunted me for years and today I'm finally done with it. Hint was the click sound.

Takeaway here is...
Don't mess with the settings that the experts set in factory. Ha ha.

Though I wonder why that was the problem. I imagine it's some software problem, because the symptom occurs even on a very very low volume.

I searched for this problem for so long but always ended up with no discussion at all... So... here it is.

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-23 21:59:48)

Re: Reporting strange behavior when balanced phone mode.

This might be a bug, as Line Out is off anyway with Balanced Phones active on ADI-2 Pro.

In any case, if ADI-2 behaves strange a reset or factory reset can help:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 38#p202938

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1, until you see the message: “Reset done.

User Setups and EQ Presets are not deleted.

Or a full factory reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, until you see the message: “Reset done“.

All user Setups and EQ Presets are deleted.
Take notes before, or store them through the Remote App, if you want to keep some.

And this issue is still there with the latest firmware?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

KaiS wrote:

This might be a bug, as Line Out is off anyway with Balanced Phones active on ADI-2 Pro.

In any case, if ADI-2 behaves strange a reset or factory reset can help:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 38#p202938

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1, until you see the message: “Reset done.

User Setups and EQ Presets are not deleted.

Or a full factory reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, until you see the message: “Reset done“.

All user Setups and EQ Presets are deleted.
Take notes before, or store them through the Remote App, if you want to keep some.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yep. I thought it was a bug. I would call it a very unusual edge case, hence very hard to spot. I don't think it should be subjected to a fix at all but... you're RME, the perfectionists, so I guessed I had to inform.

So far, my machine hasn't had any problem for years, aside from the topic. If something happens, I might follow your instruction.

And also many thanks for the wonderful Remote app. I told other users in my country (South Korea) about that smile

MC wrote:

And this issue is still there with the latest firmware?

Yep. I always keep up with the latest firmware updates.