Topic: Problems with new bought UCX II

Hey there everyone, I hope you are doing well.
I recently purchased the RME UCX II new from the store.
Replaced it with my Focusrite Clarett USB 2pre.

Now all my equipment having static noises.
I have also searched in this forum about this subject and saw many talk about isolators and such.
I have changed everything I could; cables, sockets, prongs, and what not.
It all came down to the USB of the UCX II. when I unplug the USB it has a lot of static noises tried different cables and sockets from different devices, still same thing, so I have ordered a new USB cable with 2 ferrite on both ends hoping to fix it, with a USB isolator as well, just in case.

But my question is, why does my Focusrite Clarett USB 2pre is working quiet without any static noises and interferences?
RME is not some cheap replacement, I thought things would be much better!
I'm also thinking to return it, I don't want to waste so much time and money to fix an issue I never had to begin with!

Thank you for reading my post, please take care and be well. blessings!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-04-25 14:00:29)

Re: Problems with new bought UCX II

The Focusrite has a power cable with this connector ?

https://i.ibb.co/Rbm5vyC/plug.jpg

Unfortunately the UCX is too small for this type of power connection.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

NO, RME UCX II and Focusrite Clarett has the same power cable.

If you only connect the ucx with usb and the psu and then listen on headphones, is there still noise? So nothing but usb power and headphones, no speakers or instruments connected.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

If you only connect the ucx with usb and the psu and then listen on headphones, is there still noise? So nothing but usb power and headphones, no speakers or instruments connected.

Thank you all for the replies!
No, Headphones has no noise whatsoever, even if I connect all other stuff, the headphones never had any noise.

Then the noise is not from the UCX, but including the ucx caused a ground loop. Where do you hear the noise? Speakers? Also when only speaker or amp are connected? If yes try to remove ground from the speakers or amp for testing. If that helps it is a ground loop

Vincent, Amsterdam

7 (edited by Shepard 2024-04-25 20:25:49)

vinark wrote:

Then the noise is not from the UCX, but including the ucx caused a ground loop. Where do you hear the noise? Speakers? Also when only speaker or amp are connected? If yes try to remove ground from the speakers or amp for testing. If that helps it is a ground loop

Yes only speakers make static noises, and as I have stated in my post, I did try different sockets, different electricity prongs, different cables, different places of power, to eliminate any ground loop, but as I said, nothing helped.
although in other Audio Interfaces that problem is not there. everything is quiet!
So how come ONLY the UCX has that problem?

I think the USB cable makes the problem as it needs 2 ferrites of each end or a USB Isolator or such, because only the USB makes noises changes. but I do not have the time and money to waste so I will return it and ask the money back, thanks for everyone.

A radical but working solution lol.
So how come ONLY the UCX has that problem?
Apparently it has a different ground path. Could also be the other way round with a different system. I have an usb device. an old mbox that is extremely noisy (except on one laptop) and my RME usb is dead quiet.
What kind of connection is there between the ucx and the speakers?

Vincent, Amsterdam

Haha yes I'm radical about it!
I have a balanced XLR to TRS 1/4. same as all my audio interfaces which has no problems.

The weird thing I found is, when the UCX II is powered but I take out the USB from the unit, it starts to noise too loud!
But with other Audio Interfaces it's never the problem, any thoughts?

when the UCX II is powered but I take out the USB from the unit, it starts to noise too loud!
I dont understand what you mean exactly?
Is the noise getting louder without usb?
Keep it simple!
Is there noise with usb? Yes, no or a little
Without usb? none, more or less.

Vincent, Amsterdam

If I understand OP right (from the beginning), the noise comes if USB cable is disconnected. Maybe USB cable provides common grouding with amplifier/loudspeakers....

By the way... I have found quite recently that PowerCubes I use to switch on/off the gear have one mains outlet connected incorrectly and phase and null are switched. OK, one may live with that and use it for two wires appliances. But if I switch the power off, the phase is on the both wires!!!! There is something devilishly wrong.

12 (edited by Shepard 2024-04-29 13:16:45)

"Is the noise getting louder without usb?"
Yes.

"Keep it simple!"
I'm trying!

"Is there noise with usb? Yes, no or a little"
YES, but if I unplug the USB cable from the UCX II There is a constant LOUD noise!
Let me try to explain to you this:
The UCX II unit is connected to 2 monitors (YAMAHA HS50 old version) via TRS to XLR, then the power source, then USB to the Computer (I have a couple of computers nothing helps).
When I disconnect the USB from the UCX II (connected to nothing, only Speakers) there is a constant LOUD noise.
I hope you understand?

That sounds like the XLR cables are not ok. Check one speaker connected only, then the other. Do they both go into the same earthed power outlet?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That sounds like the XLR cables are not ok. Check one speaker connected only, then the other. Do they both go into the same earthed power outlet?

Yes they both are going into the same earthed power outlet, and also I tried different power outlet and also separated them into 2 different power outlets.

But if the XLR cables are not okay, why in my other audio interfaces it works fine?
I got back to my previous audio interface Focusrite Clarett 2pre USB, no issues same equipment.
I really wanted the RME UCX II to be good, I need that low latency!

Do you have all appliances (computer, UCX and speakers) plugged to the same power outlet?
Is the "plug hub" (I do not know right english term) made correctly, so that phase, null and ground are on correct contact. One may buy ones that are made wrongly.... :-(
As MC has suggested, have you tried different cables between UCX and loudspeakers?

And does Focusrite Clarett 2pre USB use three wires mains or just two wires? If three, it would be the difference comparing to UCX, it is connected by two wires.

Do you have all appliances (computer, UCX and speakers) plugged to the same power outlet?
Yes, I also tried different power outlets as I mentioned in my post.
People you keep asking the same questions, lol.

"Is the "plug hub" (I do not know right english term) made correctly, so that phase, null and ground are on correct contact. One may buy ones that are made wrongly."

I tried other Power Outlets, new and old.

"As MC has suggested, have you tried different cables between UCX and loudspeakers?"

No, this is the only thing I haven't tried, I don't have any other cables, these cables are brand new balanced cables which worked flawlessly with other audio interfaces.

"And does Focusrite Clarett 2pre USB use three wires mains or just two wires? If three, it would be the difference comparing to UCX, it is connected by two wires."

Both the Focusrite and RME audio interfaces has 2 wires/prongs.

"People you keep asking the same questions, lol."
No, you have never stated that all appliances were plugged to the same power outlet.

OK, you could try only one loudspeaker attached and than just the other. Then switch the wires and try again.

And, do you have XLR-TRS cables or XLR-XLR cables and reductions XLR-TRS?

And, if you speak about USB disconnected from UCX.... Is UCX II still on? I guess yes, but I ask because my UCX (not UCX II) behaves so, that if switched off loudspeakers start humming a bit (computer is also off). They are totally silent if UCX is on and no sound is played.

Kubrak wrote:

"People you keep asking the same questions, lol."
No, you have never stated that all appliances were plugged to the same power outlet.

OK, you could try only one loudspeaker attached and than just the other. Then switch the wires and try again.

And, do you have XLR-TRS cables or XLR-XLR cables and reductions XLR-TRS?

And, if you speak about USB disconnected from UCX.... Is UCX II still on? I guess yes, but I ask because my UCX (not UCX II) behaves so, that if switched off loudspeakers start humming a bit (computer is also off). They are totally silent if UCX is on and no sound is played.

Well I guess I meant by "I tried everything as different power outlets and sockets and prongs to eliminate ground loop" is that I also have tried to put everything in the same power outlet, but well it is my mistake, I apologize.

Anyways, no I have no more XLR-TRS or any other for that matter, so today I will visit my dad and will use his monitors and his XLR-TRS cables and see how it goes and and I will bring also my own cables to see how it works.
and I will update and let you know my results!

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I believer MC is right about the faulty XLR cables.

Hey everyone, here is an update:

So I went to my dad today, brought with me the UCX II and one XLR-TRS cable that I used.
I connected my RME UCX II to his setup, everything was quiet!
The moment I put my XLR-TRS cable, everything went mad noise all house.
We opened the TRS-end of the cable, and behold, who ever made that cable was clearly an amateur. all coils touch each other.
The most interesting thing is, that these problematic cables I have, doesn't do sound problems in my other audio interfaces.
But anyways tomorrow I'm going to buy me some Mogami or Klotz!
I want to thank all of you and especially MC for actually finding my problem.
Also, I want to apologize for my lack of understanding and knowledge.
Blessings to everyone.

Great, you have found the source of your problems.

The reason might be that the other interface(s) does not have a fully differential driven balanced output, so ground connection was handled differently. With correct cables there would be no difference, with broken ones there could be one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The reason might be that the other interface(s) does not have a fully differential driven balanced output, so ground connection was handled differently. With correct cables there would be no difference, with broken ones there could be one.

I must thank you for your solution! it helped me so much and I will update the post tomorrow stating the solution for anyone in need as I was.
Thanks. God bless!