1 (edited by Vinylstate 2024-04-26 11:33:49)

Topic: Advice on UFX iii extension + multiple questions

Hello everyone,

Recently I've got an ufx iii to my setup, however i need some advice for an extension to keep it portable and lightweight.

I use the ufx iii for live with my mac, but i've run out of outputs.
- 6 outputs for FOH - mic/guitars/bass/backings/etc (connected to di box to prevent phantom power)
- 6 outputs I use for IEM (stereo), so now all 12 outputs are used up.

1. First question: Is a di box needed for ufx iii if send outputs to the FOH?
I have no idea if this can blow up the fireface ufx iii or if it has some protection,
in some older venues the foh has an old device that  only can put on/off on phantom power to all inputs, this means the fireface ufx iii gets 6x phantom power at ones. This doesnt sound right xD
(Mostly the trs connections gets connected to XLR converter for cable lenght extension)

I run the signals at 96 khz so at the (home)studio
I use all the 4x adats (on the evo audient 16 - located in the studio) for the drums busses, so I've run out of adat ports.
Due to the limited space and trying to keep it light weight, i have only a halfrack room left.

2. Second question: No MADI device exists that supports half rack with 6 outputs right?
I couldn't find anything yet after some hours searching.

3. Third question? Can i split/convert somehow madi to adat?

Worst case i need to switch evo audiant to a madi device and hook adat + aes  to use an ucx ii I think.
4. fourth question? on the ufxII can i use the adat + aes/ebu at the same time, so that I can use 6 outputs for the IEM systems at the same time?
adat   = 4x outputs 96khz max
+ aes = 2x outputs 96khz max

5. firth question: Any other advice?

Re: Advice on UFX iii extension + multiple questions

Anybody knows the answer of 1 question or more? xD

3 (edited by ramses 2024-04-26 11:48:42)

To 2

the only smaller MADI device I know is AVB Tool, but it doesn't provide 6x analog I/O
https://rme-audio.de/de_avb-tool.html

To 3

only with a format converter like this
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/products/adi_648.php

Or another RME MADI product providing ADAT outputs, as any MADI capable device is usually flexible in routing between MADI and all of its outputs. Like e.g. 12Mic or M-1610 Pro.

To 4

Yes, AES and 2x ADAT were always possible for the flagship devices (ADAT2 as well for optical SPDIF).

Add-on info: with the new UFX III and newer versions of the UFX II, AES and ADAT ports work fully independent. You can choose now ADAT/SPDIF for the two ADAT ports as you like.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

To 1) I am not sure if DI box blocks phantom power. Maybe. Better may be to use "phantom blocker". Something like this.
https://www.tritonaudio.com/product/phantom-blocker/

But I do not know the answer to your question, if phantom power on makes problem to RME interface output, or not. My guess is it is not good, but I may be wrong....