Topic: Babyface Pro FS +19db output setting & XLR out to guitar amp question

Hi everyone. I use ToneX to capture my amps and was having an issue with the level going into the amp being too low. I realized that I've been using the Babyface at +4 db setting all this time and corrected it to +19 and reset my active Focals to 0db switch and that fixed that. Also now I can also run my monitors louder if needed.

Anyhow to the question. I've been setting the XLR 2 output level to 0db to send to the front of the guitar amp using an XLR to unbalanced 1/4" cable. Should I be setting it at that level for a typical guitar output signal match? I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to send a signal from the Babyface XLR out to the front of the amp that matches my guitar input and isn't lower or higher. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-04-21 21:57:25)

Re: Babyface Pro FS +19db output setting & XLR out to guitar amp question

Page 9 in the user manual says this :
+4 dBu is recommended when connecting sensitive amplifiers or active monitors.

An electric guitar with passive pickups delivers normally a much lower signal than the XLR output of the Babyface, especially when the switch is set to +19.
I would use the level meter in Totalmix input channels to compare those levels, just with a cable loopback with your cable.
You can use inputs 3 and 4 at the same time for this.
Make sure they have the same input settings.
Be careful with the routing to avoid any feedback !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Maybe better to use a reamp box or such for this. As waedi already wrote, the output signal from the Babyface pro is really different to the signal of a guitar.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Maybe better to use a reamp box.

That's it! Thanks, much appreciated.

5 (edited by Rev2010 2024-04-27 01:26:46)

So I have been using a high quality XLR to 1/4" TS cable and it's been working fine but I got the Radial Reamp box, the blue one. To my surprise it made no difference, not in noise or sound and actually is 5db lower than the original guitar signal with the level on the Radial at max. What gives? I did a loopback test and surprisingly found my XLR-TS cable gave nearly the exact same level as the original but is only lower by .2. So for example if my guitar is inputting a -3.5db signal the XLR looped back provides a -3.7db signal. I'm really surprised but happy to know I can send the Radial back and save $141 (after tax) but I am curious as heck as to why the RME's XLR is perfectly fine by itself without a reamp box ever since I set the output back to -19db.