Topic: Du-Rec Suggestion/Request

It would be great if Du-Rec could do "ovedubbing" with a future firmware update!
This is a very useful feature for everyone working away from a Computer and a D.A.W., for any reason.
That means some channels could be able to play back tracks while others could record new ones at the same time.
Then the interfaces that have Du-Rec could also be complete stand-alone recorders.

Re: Du-Rec Suggestion/Request

That will not happen, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You mean that it is not possible through a firmware update, or that it won't happen because you don't want it to happen???
I believe that overdubbing through Du-rec is a great option and many people would use it all the time, including myself!
If it can be done with the current Du-rec technology or not, it's another matter.

It can't. The whole engine is optimized to write all tracks simultaneously into an interleaved file. That contradicts separate single  track files operation as needed for overdubs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by gharatzoglou 2024-04-27 12:53:36)

Thanks.
I understand.
I just thought that since there is a "play" and "record" function on each channel, inputs and outputs, there might be a chance in the future that some channels could playback recorded tracks while others could be recording new ones at the same time.
Just like in a stand alone multitrack recorder, or in a DAW inside the computer.
The excellent audio quality of RME interfaces could then be used completely independent from a DAW as well!!!
It would also be nice to have the TotalMix remote app for Android too!
I understand that the Android technology is not yet optimised for serious audio recording, but for a remote control function it is definitely capable.
I already can control my Behringer Flow 8 mixer, my JBL Eon One Compact speaker and my NUX Mighty Space with my Android phone and tablet.
Why not TotalMix FX?
I never had any Apple product in my life...

6 (edited by ramses 2024-04-27 13:29:11)

TM FX is a mixer and controls the DSP in the recording interface and several other functions around that.
It is not an application like a DAW.

Besides the reason mentioned by MC why this is not possible: the FPGA inside the devices fulfills more hardware related tasks and also has some limits in terms of memory capacity.
TM FX has the above-mentioned focus and the aim is stability, not to become a "bloatware". Therefore, also no VSTs, we had these discussions already in the forum.

What you describe is a typical function of a recording or DAW software.

Besides that, I do not see a real use case for that. In stand-alone mode, you wouldn't do overdubs. Operation without a real monitor would be uncomfortably and limit the intended use.
And if your device is connected to a PC, then you can use any DAW or recording programs which provides the desired functionality.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by gharatzoglou 2024-04-27 13:33:56)

Well I see MANY use cases for that Ramses!
It is not harmful to disagree in a civilised level.
Many hardware recorders can do overdubbing since many years, or should I say decades already.
Many people like me, record themselves with microphones and would be happy to avoid computer fan noises whenever they can.
Tascam, Zoom, Korg, Roland, Boss and others all have the ability to do overdub recordings since the '90s on their hardware recorders without using a computer DAW.
The RME audio quality is very well known all over the world and it would be nice if that could be also available for such situations.
I make polite suggestions and throw ideas here, I'm not offending anyone.
As an artist I've learned that there is no use for being "sure and certain" about everything and that it's good to leave doors open and room for further personal development.
I guess that could be helpful for building audio equipment and upgrading them too.
There is no such thing as "perfection" nowhere in this world.
It is an evolution process.

8 (edited by ramses 2024-04-27 14:50:08)

> It is not harmful to disagree in a civilised level.
What do you mean, please? I hope not as if I had not done so. A forum / a civilized discussion includes an exchange of experiences. I have thrown in some points that come to mind.

It's nice that you have further illustrated your use case. If there is something interesting for RME that can be implemented, RME will certainly give it some thought. But regarding the implementation on the hardware, RME has already answered you quickly and that it is unfortunately not possible.

As far as my person is concerned, I just wanted to explain to you why something - how shall I put it - might not be appropriate and why it also wouldn't make much sense to implement it in TM FX.

As it sounded, you want to have something like a field recorder which would have such functionality and where everything is in one device. Well, then this seems sadly not to be possible, see comment from RME.
But if everything should be in one device like in a field recorder, then also an implementation in TotalMix FX seems to be out of scope here, as it sounded that you want to avoid an additional device.

Just in case you wouldn't exclude an iPad (where TM FX is available) … well, there are surely applications / DAW for iPad which support your use case as a field recorder, with overdubbing capabilities already, without having to add this to TM FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the suggestions Ramses!
No I didn't mean to say that there was something non polite in our conversation.
All is fine.
I might be interested in an Apple product like the IPad if it was not so outrageously expensive and the same goes for their computers.
I don't like their philosophy and their strategy as a company.
RME on the other hand, I believe that it is an honest company that produces really good quality stuff and I have the experience to say so.
I would never pay 3.500€-5.000€ for a computer that can not be upgraded, doesn't have good compatibility with hardware and software and most likely will be outdated in 6-8 years like all computers do.
Maybe if I had a 5.000€ a month income, I wouldn't mind, but I live in Greece where things are very, very different for most people....
My FF400 is now 17 years old and still works fine.
That really was an investment, that's why I bought the Babyface Pro and now the UFXII that I assume will last me for more than 15 years.
You can really see now how much I like and appreciate RME as a company.
I also enjoy our conversations and appreciate your interest and good will to answer my questions!
If you have any suggestions for a reasonably priced IPad, for a good Windows laptop, or some good desktop pc components, that would be greatly useful to me, because it is time for a new computer for me desktop and laptop.
But that is a whole other topic.

Thanks again!!!