Topic: Hdsp Digiface more than 24 channels?

Hi everyone.
Really happy user of Hdsp Digiface (used with a pci express adapter). I use 24 channels (in-out) slaved to the Rme clock. 2 units with lightpipe and 1 with bnc. 48khz.
Since i recently found an extra 8 channel  converter, is there a way to integrate it in my existing system. It’s not a “must” but it would be great if i could?

Thanks in advance

2 (edited by waedi 2024-05-01 22:19:29)

Re: Hdsp Digiface more than 24 channels?

The Digiface has three Adat ports and you use all already.
If the SPDIF coax connectors are free, then you could use two channels of this 8 channel converter, when it is equipped with SPdIF coax connection.
Otherwise no, integration of the 8 channel converter is not possible.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The Digiface has three Adat ports and you use all already.
If the SPDIF coax connectors are free, then you could use two channels of this 8 channel converter, when it is equipped with SPdIF coax connection.
Otherwise no, integration of the 8 channel converter is not possible.

Thanks for the info Waedi.
Of course i knew about the spdf in-outs ( i already use the outs as master outs).

I’ve heard a user once saying about use of extra equipment slaved to the converters that are attached on the digiface, but i guess this has more to do with “auxiliary” in-outs in a live environment and nothing to do with total mixfx integration.

Can i combine an extra hdsp (or other rme) interface in my system?

4 (edited by waedi 2024-05-01 23:03:58)

...slaved to the converters is not integration of converters.
With word clock BNC cables and T-connectors you can slave many devices but thats not your demand.
On Mac computers you can run different audio interfaces at the same time.
On Windows computers different audio interfaces are possible but they have to use the same driver.
In your case you would have to find old used stuff.
And in both case, Mac and Win, each interface has it's own Totalmix, no combination.
In the MacOS an aggregate device is possible, combination of all channels to one virtual device for the DAW and the computer…
I would not invest in old equipment, better check for a new system.
A Digiface-USB is cheap, but it has only the same amount of Adat channels as the old Digiface.
If your computer has enough space, a set of two hdsp RayDat would be nice, 6 x Adat.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

...slaved to the converters is not integration of converters.
With word clock BNC cables and T-connectors you can slave many devices but thats not your demand.
On Mac computers you can run different audio interfaces at the same time.
On Windows computers different audio interfaces are possible but they have to use the same driver.
In your case you would have to find old used stuff.
And in both case, Mac and Win, each interface has it's own Totalmix, no combination.
In the MacOS an aggregate device is possible, combination of all channels to one virtual device for the DAW and the computer…
I would not invest in old equipment, better check for a new system.
A Digiface-USB is cheap, but it has only the same amount of Adat channels as the old Digiface.
If your computer has enough space, a set of two hdsp RayDat would be nice, 6 x Adat.

Thanks for the reply once again. Very helpful.
I think you make a little mistake about the digiface usb. I think it’s a 32 usb in-out unit. But still if i was about to invest i would go for raydat. But right now i can’t and i don’t really need to go that route.

On the other hand it’s not a matter of investment on used stuff since i can easily find for free some old hdsp multiface or pci hammerfall. But how could i integrate them in a windows system for 8 extra in-outs (along with my 24 in-outs digiface)?

Yes Digiface USB has four in and four out ADATs, not three. The same for (concerning ADAT) RayDat.

Can i combine an extra hdsp (or other rme) interface in my system?

Yes any PCI or PCIe hdsp card as long as you make sure everything is clocked correctly. So an old second hand hdsp9632 or 9652 or another digiface or Multiface. Etc.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632