1 (edited by georgob 2024-05-03 08:42:47)

Topic: Multiple Madifaces

I own several Madifaces (the old one with the PCIexpresscard).
I can attach 2 of them to my Laptop (Lenovo P51).
One to the PCI expressport,
one with an Echo expresscard34 adapter to thunderbolt2 and an adapter thunderbolt2-3 to the thunderbolt port of the Laptop.

It really seems to be working, both cards show up in the totalmix, and I can choose card 1 or 2. Great.

But not in the driver. Only one card (MADI (1)) is shown and can be set.
In the Global page of the driver I can only see one card. I should be able to set the order of the cards.

I have to unplug one card, change the settings of the remaing card, then unplug it, plug the other card, do the settings, then I can use both cards.

Is there any way around this? Use an older driver perhaps? I currently use 4.4.7 02-09-2024
Thanks for any help.

Georg

Re: Multiple Madifaces

The original MADIface with its ExpressCard34 never supported multi-device opperation. Obviously at that time there were only PCI ExpressCard slots, and only one of the MADIface ones could be inserted.

Please understand that we will not work on any update to this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Of course I understand. But it still works, which is amazing. even 15 years later.

I found on your Archive website the following statement, so it should be possible after all.

Es können bis zu 3 MADIfaces und HDSPe Multiface/Digiface gleichzeitig benutzt werden, in beliebiger Kombination. Damit stehen bei 48 kHz bis zu 192 Eingänge und 192 Ausgänge zur Verfügung, bei 96 kHz 96 Eingänge und 96 Ausgänge. Bitte beachten Sie, dass die meisten Notebooks nur über einen PCI-Express Slot verfügen.

Georg

After rebooting the Laptop with both cards connected, they both appear also in the driver.
So it is only a hotplug issue.
Fantastic product, running since 2008.
Georg

Then you're lucky that the multi-card routines were also used for a card that was not supposed to do it - one advantage of a driver that supports so many devices, it seems. The German quote is not that clear, though, it could also mean 3 (MADIface + Multiface and/or Digiface), not 3 MADIfaces as you seem to think.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Then im lucky and you make great products. 
Thanks!

You're welcome!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME