Topic: RME Fireface 400 ?

Hi, I'm musician under Gentoo Gnu/Linux and i'm very interesting to buy a RME product for my musical composition.
My first choice was the RME multiface 2 + pcmcia card, but I'm waiting now more than a month for availibility of the product from a big french e-shop.
Then I lose patient, and today I was ready to make my new choice for the fireface 400, available in this french e-shop.
BUT there is no Linux driver sad

Well, I'm little disappointed. You wrote that a driver is currently under dev, but how long must I wait for it ?
RME is very good, and a lot of my friends used it. Can you make, like your product, a professional linux alsa driver for fireface 400 ?

THX

Re: RME Fireface 400 ?

> My first choice was the RME multiface 2 + pcmcia card, but I'm waiting now more than a month
> for availibility of the product from a big french e-shop.

Well, then it's about time to chose a dealer that can actually deliver, isn't it?

> Then I lose patient, and today I was ready to make my new choice for the fireface 400,
> available in this french e-shop.

That is a complete different choice. If you don't need the flexibility of the fireface, the Multiface is the much better choice in means of system load and latency.

> Well, I'm little disappointed. You wrote that a driver is currently under dev, but how long
> must I wait for it ?

If you pay me, I can drop all my other projects I need for funding my open source work smile

> RME is very good, and a lot of my friends used it. Can you make, like your product, a
> professional linux alsa driver for fireface 400 ?

It most certainly won't be an ALSA driver, but part of the FFado package.

3 (edited by delete 2008-12-18 17:14:11)

faberman wrote:

If you pay me, I can drop all my other projects I need for funding my open source work smile

hello faberman. could you maybe estimate how much your work would be worth? i'm sure there are several fireface users who would pay in order not to see windoze again when working on music / sound. my email is eskei.one [at nospam] gmail [dot] com in case you don't want to reply in public.

Don't think you were serious, but in case you are... it would be worth something to me. Not having linux support is a major drawback and I'm willing to put money where my mouth is with my wallet...