Topic: ARC USB SySex Firmware Update Doesn't Resolve Problem, try this....

Hello all,
I have invested in a new Mac Studio M2 and I've hit this sysex problem.  I have updated the firmware as suggested by everyone, but still it doesn't appear to be fixing the issue, certainly within Logic Pro (version 11 on Sonoma 10.5 as of time of writing).

I thought I'd let you all know that I have found that if you disable the ARC USB as a midi device in logic, then that appears to "fix" the problem.  This is more of a work around than a "fix", but it has definitely solved it for my purposes.

The steps to do this are as follows :

Go into the Logic Pro menu.
Choose "Settings".
Then Choose "Midi".
It should open on the "General" tab (for midi devices).
Choose the "Inputs" tab.
Now, scroll to find "RME ARC".
Ensure the "RME ARC" box is unchecked.

I do hope this helps some people out as it has been causing me a lot of stress and frustration.

Re: ARC USB SySex Firmware Update Doesn't Resolve Problem, try this....

waedi wrote:

Thanks for (double)-posting this helpful hint.
It's not a workaround, it is more the normal way you have to work.
You have to set up your DAW for your desire.
Of course you have to disable all unwanted inputs and outputs.
The ARC can't spy a computer and change settings in a DAW.

Hello waedi,

I created this post to help others (including RME's support) out.

Posted first in the correct section related to the USB update (where users are still having problems ), then to this section also as I've seen the issue referenced in different ways here also. Furthermore the driver and update is on the website, so another reason it felt appropriate to add here also.

The USB update has been advertised as a "fix" for the Arc USB sending SysEx data in Logic (particularly). The posts I made are to help those people out, that after running the update, still have the problem.

I've used DAWs and sequencers of all shapes and sizes for decades. Logic, I've used since the early "emagic" days, so I'm fully aware of setting up environments and workflow, etc. it is my first time of owning and using an ARC USB however

If disabling the ARC USB as a midi device within Logic is so "normal" and obvious, then why would RME create a firmware update as a means to resolve the issue, when in fact all they need do is update the user guide to remind users to remove it as a midi device within Logic (or any other DAW that experiences the same thing).

Additionally, what I originally posted is a "work around" because the official solution/fix by RME, is to update the firmware of the ARC USB, which as many of us have noticed, isn't a "fix".   

Not being affiliated with RME (like yourself), it would be misleading and wrong to class a personal solution for a technical issue as a verified "fix".

Stating "The ARC can't spy a computer and change settings in a DAW" is completely irrelevant to what I posted and also indicates you shows signs that you're possibly not so much of a help in forums, rather a hindrance.

IMHO, generally it is responsibility of application how it responds to or does not respond to MIDI stream.... It is not responbility of HW or its driver.

So, disabling MIDI stream from RME ARC in certain application, if that HW should not controll that application is obvious step to do. That applies to all MIDI appliances....

Kubrak wrote:

IMHO, generally it is responsibility of application how it responds to or does not respond to MIDI stream.... It is not responbility of HW or its driver.

So, disabling MIDI stream from RME ARC in certain application, if that HW should not controll that application is obvious step to do. That applies to all MIDI appliances....

Hi Kubrak,
I do agree with you. The thing is, this has been an ongoing problem for people for some time. I've owned this as of now, about 3 days.

After the RME firmware "fix" was not resolving the SysEx issue as it states it should, I removed the device from logic as a midi device, then I posted it as a work around as no one has mentioned this for others (maybe less experienced).

When you're a new or inexperienced user, nothing is "obvious" and issues like this can result in frustration, bad company reputation and unnecessary returns.

Furthermore, if it's such an obvious solution, why would RME create a firmware patch? It's far more simple to update the online guide and product page with an addendum, suggesting that those with this problem do as I've suggested.

So, yes that's why I posted this. If it's "obvious" to you or anyone else, then this information isn't relevant. However, to others it could be the difference between a working setup or a complete nightmare.

The FUT comes with a text-file.
It contains this text :

The ARC USB uses simple MIDI notes for its communication with TotalMix FX. Unfortunately there are some MIDI programs under Mac OS X that can not handle the flow of MIDI messages of the ARC USB, which causes dropped notes and other ill effects. The majority of problems is under macOS and with Logic, because it lacks any ability to select the MIDI port(s) it should listen too, but not exclusively.

A fix is to change from simple MIDI notes to SysEx messages. These are usually ignored, but will be recognized and used by TotalMix FX 1.6 and up.

...usually... is the thing that refers to your settings in Logic.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

The readme also shows that there had been times where Logic missed the MIDI input selection completely. At that time a really screwed up procedure was needed in Logic to ignore the ARC's MIDI - so we changed to SysEx. That helped.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

waedi wrote:

The FUT comes with a text-file.
It contains this text :

The ARC USB uses simple MIDI notes for its communication with TotalMix FX. Unfortunately there are some MIDI programs under Mac OS X that can not handle the flow of MIDI messages of the ARC USB, which causes dropped notes and other ill effects. The majority of problems is under macOS and with Logic, because it lacks any ability to select the MIDI port(s) it should listen too, but not exclusively.

A fix is to change from simple MIDI notes to SysEx messages. These are usually ignored, but will be recognized and used by TotalMix FX 1.6 and up.

...usually... is the thing that refers to your settings in Logic.

Yes, I changed that. I do RTFM