Topic: Babyface keeps disconnecting on Mi MacBook air

Hard to think of something I bought at 60 years old as 'vintage' but whatever.
Bought a Babyface 11 years ago for use with an early retina MBP.
Finally bought an M1 MacBook air. I mainly use Akai Force and MPC these days.
I'm trying to get it working for online streaming and have installed drivers per online instructions but the Babyface disconnects after a couple of minutes. ( USB via USB3 hub)
there are a couple of instructions re 'security' and permissions but it seems these only exist on older versions of the Apple system. (using Sonoma 14.4.1).
Is there some way to make it work or is it just one more overpriced doorstop.

Re: Babyface keeps disconnecting on Mi MacBook air

Have you tried without the hub, or with another one? Try a USB-C/USB-B cable. What you describe has nothing to do with permissions, the driver seems to be installed correctly if it works at first.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the suggestion.
I do not have such a cable and am not sure one exists.. I will certainly look into it though. One thing I did think to try after posting, and using the exact same USB A-B cable, which was then plugged into the same USB C adaptor, was to try using an Allen&Heath Zed 10FX mixer as an audio interface and it worked perfectly, in both directions, so I don't see how there can be an issue with the cable and hub I was using. Or is it a case that what works with the Zed10 will not necessarily work with the Babyface?
The only thing changed between 2 setups, one which works and one which does not, is the device itself. Babyface on one hand and Zed10FX on the other. And of course the required software in the MacBook Air. The Zed10 does not seem to need anything specific. Just shows up in software programs as "USB Codex". Sorry but I do not understand software further. The issue does seem to be software related though as far as the Babyface is concerned.

Further to above, I've looked online and there seems to be no such cable in stores any where near me, but something available to order online.
Like an old style printer cable but with usbc at the other end. Is it the case that the Zed10 works because it needs no software inside the MacBook, between the device used and the software using it within the computer?
In this case Firestorm for live music streaming within the program 'Second Life'.
Maybe the issue is Totalmix is dropping the connection due to instability issues, caused by cable and hub, where the Zed10, being USB Codex is more stable?
If this is how it works and you think it's worth a shot I'll go ahead and order one.
Thanks again for the help.

5 (edited by waedi 2024-06-22 02:49:42)

This is the cable and you most probably have to order one as these printer-plugs are vanished from stores.
USB cable USB-C to USB-B.
From what you wrote I say the hub is the culprit. The Zed-10 is a class compliant device with no driver settings nor monitoring software. No comparison to the Babyface.
https://www.digitec.ch/im/productimages/2/1/7/1/7/2/0/8/1/0/8/1/6/0/5/9/7/0/4/dbfb9b69-c09b-4a76-b871-c99badabd7e7_cropped.jpg?impolicy=ProductTileImage&resizeWidth=1000&resizeHeight=750&cropWidth=1000&cropHeight=750&resizeType=downsize&quality=high

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks so much for your help. I'll go ahead and order one

The RME-shop has such cables listet, btw.

https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Found a cable at a local electronics shop and everything working perfectly. Rock Solid. Thanks for your help.