Topic: Can Totalmix FX+ ARC replace my Avocet II monitoring controller

I would like to try and replace my AVOCET II monitoring controller with a combination of Totalmix FX (TMFX) and ARC.

I need to be able to simultaneously (and seamlessly) switch between two sources (DAW MIX and a reference mix on another O/P of the DAW) so I can compare my current mix against a previous version or an artist's reference mix.

• Is the EXT INPUT function what I am looking for? Can it be assigned to any outputs of my RME Soundcard?

• I know that ARC allows me to control Volume, DIM and MUTE as well as EXT IN. Can I also control MONO, and mute (solo) only one speaker at a time?

My current setup is 2x HDSPe MADI FX and I am using the built in AES Outputs for my AVOCET II.
I understand the above may not be possible utilising these same outputs as they are on two different cards. However, I have other AES output options available which can be addressed from a single HDSPE MADI Fx card.

2x HDSPe MADI FX, MADIFace Pro

2 (edited by ramses 2024-06-23 18:41:36)

Re: Can Totalmix FX+ ARC replace my Avocet II monitoring controller

Work in TM FX full mode (not DAW mode).

In the DAW send the two different tracks (DAW mix and reference mix) to two different outputs.
By this they will appear in TM FX on two different SW playback channels middle row (audio from computer).

In TM FX: store two different routings in two different snapshots (e.g. snapshot 1 and 2)
- Route the playback channel with the "DAW mix"        to your monitors, save this to TM FX Snapshot 1
- Route the playback channel with the "reference mix" to your monitors, save this to TM FX Snapshot 2

You need to look whats more practical, to store the snapshots with or without volume settings (see TM FX preferences).

Now you can select on the ARC USB:
- SNAP1 to listen to the DAW mix
- SNAP2 to listen to the reference mix

If you have volume mismatches (too loud at 0dB output volume in TM FX)
- either use attenuators or
- connect ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to the AES output

Then you can control the end volume at the ADI-2 Pro, in TM FX everything can stay at 0dB.
Besides this you additionally have a nice headphone amp and can use all the benefits of ADI-2 Pro FS
(auto reflevel, dynamic loudnes, PEQ).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you, @ramses - that was a quick and detailed reply!

In your experience is switching between snapshots seamless (I.e. no delay or other distractions)?

I suppose I can try that out at the studio and see for myself before  buying an ARC.

4 (edited by ramses 2024-06-23 19:21:50)

funkymothers wrote:

In your experience is switching between snapshots seamless (I.e. no delay or other distractions)?

I suppose I can try that out at the studio and see for myself before  buying an ARC.

I checked this for you ...

Audio from Youtube, sw playback 1/2 (snapshot 1)
Audio from Musicbee, sw playback 3/4 (snapshot 2)

Switching takes place immediately when you press the button on the ARC USB, without any noticeable delay.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
funkymothers wrote:

I checked this for you ...

Audio from Youtube, sw playback 1/2 (snapshot 1)
Audio from Musicbee, sw playback 3/4 (snapshot 2)

Switching takes place immediately when you press the button on the ARC USB, without any noticeable delay.

Thank you!!

You could also try setting up the routing as per Ramses post but instead of saving different output routing to two different snapshots simply use the cue switching within one snapshot.

Thank you, Paul - I will investigate that.
I just ordered the ARC after checking the snapshot setup ramses suggested.

It really does work absolutely lawlessly and without any issues. Brilliant.
On the Avocet II there is a tiny delay which I think may be down to the DAC locking to the incoming AES stream. In practice that is acceptable but switching within Totalmix is actually better.