Topic: Connecting Babyface pro Fs with Adi 2 pro 2/4 se?

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank you for the time and information I have received and will receive from this forum! I have decided to switch from the UAD system to RME and want to start by purchasing an RME Babyface Pro FS and the RME ADI-2 Pro SE. Why? Because through my research, I want to get the best out of my equipment. I mix and master, but in the future, I want to focus primarily on mastering. I own PSI A21M monitors for monitoring and a pair of Audeze headphones. For hardware, I have an Avalon VT-747, SSL G Bus, Mäag EQ4M, and soon a Manley Massive Passive, and for recording, a Lewitt microphone.
I mention this because I plan to coordinate my hardware through a patchbay (good idea or bad idea?).

My question is: how can I best connect my Babyface and the ADI-2 Pro FS? Is it possible via S/PDIF? I have never connected my devices via ADAT, and I have only read about ADAT connection options on the Babyface Pro FS.

Thank you for your help!

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-06-25 06:08:43)

Re: Connecting Babyface pro Fs with Adi 2 pro 2/4 se?

For mastering only, the Babyface might be obsolete and introduces some complications in the setup.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE features enough I/O capabilities for the job.

A patchbay is always a good idea, I couldn’t do without in my studio.
You need a quality one, my Switchcraft (1152 points total) is very reliable.

Not sure whether you might need TotalMix FX for your workflow.
A combination of RME recording interface with TotalMix FX and RME reference converter is also possible.
The question is, how many I/O you need.
The flagship interfaces UFX II and UFX III are using the AKM converters that the ADI-2 Pro FS used.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Damian 2024-06-25 09:15:07)

Yes, I only want the Babyface so that I have TotalMix and the ADI-2 Pro 2/4 SE for the sample rate and the headphone amp. I don't think the UFX III has the same components as the ADI-2/4Pro SE.

5 (edited by KaiS 2024-06-25 09:57:12)

Total Mix is irrelevant for mastering, where a bit of latency is of no concern.

For recording vocals and live instruments that’s another story.

The whole question largely depends on the platform (PC or Mac) and the DAW that will be used.

KaiS wrote:

Total Mix is irrelevant for mastering, where a bit of latency is of no concern.

For recording vocals and live instruments that’s another story.

The whole question largely depends on the platform (PC or Mac) and the DAW that will be used.

I’m working with mac with an m2 chip.

7 (edited by KaiS 2024-06-25 15:41:05)

And which DAW / app for audio?

Ableton and Logic.

9 (edited by KaiS 2024-06-25 18:34:18)

Both DAWs support low latency monitoring.

Then - if you‘re good with one stereo analog line input and 2 stereo analog outputs, ADI-2/4 Pro SE is everything you need.

The routing is straigt-forward.
All signals come from (existing tracks) or (ADI-2 analog input) are routed through the DAW.

In the DAW you define ADI-2’s 1/2 path as master/monitoring output.
Everything you want to listen to is routed there.
Speakers AND headphones can stay connect, ADI-2 has a switch option to play on either one or the other (or both, but that doesn’t make sense).

ADI-2’s 3/4 output can serve as an independent path for a possible analog mastering chain’s send on the balanced rear TRSs.
When tracking with another artist, front PH 3/4 can serve as an independent headphones path.

The analog line input is used for everything analog you want to record.
For microphones you can use one of your existing mic-preamps to fit the level.
For monitoring the analog input is routed through the DAW to ADI-2 1/2.

I didn’t understand this part ,, The analog line input is used for everything analog you want to record.
For microphones you can use one of your existing mic-preamps to fit the level.
For monitoring the analog input is routed through the DAW to ADI-2 1/2.“ So I don’t need a interface for recording ? And monitoring ? And again I want to thank you KaiS!

11 (edited by KaiS 2024-06-26 00:13:36)

ADI-2 Pro SE is an USB audio interface that can be connected to your Mac directly.

Monitoring is controlled in the DAW, which finally makes it straight forward to use, instead of having to use another software for that.

The only thing, there’s a little bit of latency in the monitoring of live signals.
But, with a powerful computer and not too high track count projects, this “software monitoring” yields usable results.

In my experience up to 5 ms roundtrip delay (total latency) is not negatively affecting musicians performance.

KaiS wrote:

ADI-2 Pro SE is an USB audio interface that can be connected to your Mac directly.

Monitoring is controlled in the DAW, which finally makes it straight forward to use, instead of having to use another software for that.

The only thing, there’s a little bit of latency in the monitoring of live signals.
But, with a powerful computer and not too high track count projects, this “software monitoring” yields usable results.

In my experience up to 5 ms roundtrip delay (total latency) is not negatively affecting musicians performance.

I will try it out and I thank you again for the quick responses! Thank you! You are the best!