Topic: Any disadvantage using ARC USB vs a simpler monitor controller?

I didn't find much opinions about that and am curious.

I'm anticipating buying a UFX III for all its greatness, and a considering getting an ARC USB in order to avoid my monitor controller (Drawmer CMC2) as I assume I lose something in sound, and use it in a simple way.

One worry is not having a dedicated Mute outside of the audio interface in case it goes berserk, but does this ever happen with an RME interface (I use them exclusively for over 20 years, love the reliability).

I use Mono, Speaker B (in mono and I'm aware of needed workaround to plug a Mixcube), Dim... Seems to have it all.

Opinions?

Re: Any disadvantage using ARC USB vs a simpler monitor controller?

I have used monitor controller. When I started use RME interfaces, I started to use ARC USB and stopped use monitor controller.

But I consider using monitor controller again. Just to be on safe side. I have always dialed HW monitor controller volume down at the end of use just for sure.

I sometimes use RME also standalone and it loads last parameter used. Sometimes it has happened me, that volume was on. I probably forgot to dial down volume at switching down. And then one does not know. On HW monitor one may check before turning interface on....

Everyone has different needs, but something tells me that HW monitor controller is worth considering if one has expensive monitors... Or just for sure.

I haven't routed my audio interface directly to monitors for years, I want 0db on main from UCX II and not to continually tweak any other source, input or output.

I also don't need to switch between Snapshots, do little to no real-time tweaking in TotalMix so ARC has never been on my radar, not even out of curiosity.

I currently use an Allen & Heath ZED-6 as "monitor controller" for my 2.1 and although I love the sound I know it "lies", doesn't inspire confidence and not practical for home studio (unless your budget tells you it's the best). I'm soon going to get a Heritage Audio R.A.M 1000 (less vacation days) so IMO it's a monitor controller no matter what.

Kubrak wrote:

Everyone has different needs, but something tells me that HW monitor controller is worth considering if one has expensive monitors... Or just for sure.

Completely agree even with not so expensive monitors

FF UCX II 106/34/104 v1.251 - PC X399 + Windows 11 Pro 23H2 - Reaper 7.20

An update: I replaced my monitor controller with the ARC USB and am very happy so far. Feels good to not have a device between the UFX III and my amps, and the ARC does everything I need.

Even the lack of mono 2nd monitor, for my mixcube, isn't a problem, I just press the Mono button.

To me, it's a suitable setup.