Topic: Connecting analog hardware to hdspe aio pro

Hello,

I currently have a behringer ultragain ada8200 connected and my monitors connected from the analog outs on the soundcard.
If you guys would buy a analog preamp and a compressor.
How would you connect the gear. I'm assuming the a/d conversation in the soundcard is better than the behringer gear. Do I loop from the adat io or from the soundcard analog i/o

2 (edited by ramses 2024-07-10 11:26:45)

Re: Connecting analog hardware to hdspe aio pro

For a stereo compressor you need 2x analog IN and OUT, right?
And for a preamp 1-2x analog input (depending on whether it is mono or stereo).

If you connected already your active monitors to the analog out of your AIO Pro .. well .. whats left then in terms of analog ports? If I see it right only 2 analog inputs for connecting e.g. the preamp.

To connect the compressor use ports of the ADA8200 because the AIO Pro has no other 2x analog I/O in/out than that.
Or digital, but I assume your compressor has only analog I/O, no AES or coax. SPDIF.

You will need the optional D-sub Breakout cable for connecting them balanced using XLR cables.

For connecting two channels you have also digital inputs and outputs (AES, coax SPDIF).
But it is rather unusual that 1-2 ch preamps or 2ch compressor have such digital I/O.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

For a stereo compressor you need 2x analog IN and OUT, right?
And for a preamp 1-2x analog input (depending on whether it is mono or stereo).

If you connected already your active monitors to the analog out of your AIO Pro .. well .. whats left then in terms of analog ports? If I see it right only 2 analog inputs for connecting e.g. the preamp.

To connect the compressor use ports of the ADA8200 because the AIO Pro has no other 2x analog I/O in/out than that.
Or digital, but I assume your compressor has only analog I/O, no AES or coax. SPDIF.

You will need the optional D-sub Breakout cable for connecting them balanced using XLR cables.

For connecting two channels you have also digital inputs and outputs (AES, coax SPDIF).
But it is rather unusual that 1-2 ch preamps or 2ch compressor have such digital I/O.

There is one option to use the ada8200 to connect the monitors instead.

I really don't know if any of this even matters, is  it noticeable what kind on ad converters I use id the final stages of a song?

Does using analog gear trough the analog inputs of the sound card make a huge difference than lets say plugging In a mic in the adat interface instead.

Up to you what you prefer.
I am sure RME has better converters + analog section.
Don't know what monitors you have, whether you can hear a difference.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13