Topic: MRC malfunction?

An iPad mini was left resting on top of Multi-Remote-Control for about 10 minutes. When I noticed, the indicator light was blinking fast. Now the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE will not respond to the MRC. I have performed the assignment procedure printed on the back of the MRC but ADI-2 Pro FS R BE still does not respond. Is there a hard and or global reset process for MRC and or ADI-2 Pro FS R BE that will make MRC functional again?

2 (edited by mwilson 2021-12-11 01:32:59)

Re: MRC malfunction?

Hello 655321,

While I don't have an ipad mini, I've rested my iphone 13 pro max which is quite heavy in its own right onto my MRC and there wasn't any button depressed. Was the ipad mini resting vertically so that an edge or corner pushed just one button of the MRC?

This won't reset the remote, but in case something's stuck can you try pulling the battery out and reinserting after several seconds? Second, can you do a tactile verification of each button and confirm that they travel fully and the actuation and release are firm? Just in case the ipad did push something in too far/for too long and got stuck.

The procedure to select the right device worked completely as planned? If so then the battery might be empty now, simply put in a new one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The procedure to select the right device worked completely as planned? If so then the battery might be empty now, simply put in a new one.

You are correct. I replaced the battery and now MRC is functional again. In my defense, the indicator light still illuminated with the dead/low battery. With the new battery the indicator light is much brighter whilst using volume and other commands. What threw me off was how bright the indicator light was during the assignment process. Had the illumination been much less or none at all I would have assumed battery failure. Thanks for the help.

It must have been on the edge. Usually if empty the flashing changes and the procedure doesn't work anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Since new, my MRC has always been a bit iffy. LED bright, nothing getting worse, no reason to doubt the battery, but an unresponsive remote control - occasionally having to press twice, sluggish to respond, needing to point directly at the DAC.

Last month I decided to change the battery, and it's now a quality, responsive, reliable remote control. So I suspect that this RC values a "strong" battery, and I'll change the battery every 6 mth from now on.

Normal press of the button is less than a second, power consumed is very very little, but if accidentally keep pressed continuously for 10 minutes, sure will drain the battery a lot within that duration .....

Got the unit on July 26. 2021, use the remote everyday, the led still bright and signals sent without any problem.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Mark Dirac wrote:

Since new, my MRC has always been a bit iffy. LED bright, nothing getting worse, no reason to doubt the battery, but an unresponsive remote control - occasionally having to press twice, sluggish to respond, needing to point directly at the DAC.

Last month I decided to change the battery, and it's now a quality, responsive, reliable remote control. So I suspect that this RC values a "strong" battery, and I'll change the battery every 6 mth from now on.

Is it OK/safe to use an LIR2025 rechargeable 3.6V button cell? I reckon that the specified CR2025 is 3V, and that the rechargeable version is 20% higher voltage at 3.6V, or perhaps even higher when freshly charged.

Would this higher voltage actually make the MRC perform better? Or just damage it?

9 (edited by Curt962 2022-03-10 17:49:59)

6er...

As usual, I'm a bit late to the discussion.  Nonetheless...

It seems your Remote Battery was simply depleted by incident, and could easily be replaced to restore proper operation of your Remote.

My "Vintage" (pre-MRC) remote ran 2.5yrs before exhibiting any of the symptoms you describe.  It was then an easy matter to buy a relatively inexpensive "Energizer Lithium CR2025 that immediately made my remote new again.

Note:  Wife bought the 10pk of these, so...I'm good on batteries for the next 20yrs or so. wink

In the Future, just buy a replacement Cell at any nearby retailer, and you'll be fine.   Rechargeables?   Nahhh.  I don't see the point.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I find that if the remote is not responding, squeeze the remote quite hard where the RME logo is, and it will give it a new lease of life!

my experience was:
- i did not use the remote since september 2022, when I bought it
- today I was curious to add it to my listening setup
- green led flashed, device was set correctly to ADI 2 DAC FS
- came to this thread and "pushed on the RME logo", but just medium force not to break anything
- remote started to work as expected