Topic: Question of RAYDAT Compatibilty Issues, if any?

Hi All,

Currently running a Windows 10 desktop using a PCIe RAYDAT interface.

Soon, Windows 10 will no longer be updated so I will be looking into a new desktop.

My question is, will the PCIe RAYDAT interface still be compatible with a new computer and Windows 11?

I imagine I will have to custom build a new desktop to make sure I have the PCIe ports.

Is this my best course of action?  I like the RAYDAT, and hoping I don't have to completely start from scratch!

Thanks for info,
Zucco

2 (edited by waedi 2024-07-19 04:55:54)

Re: Question of RAYDAT Compatibilty Issues, if any?

There is a dedicated driver for Win11 listed in the driver download of the RayDat page.
Should be no problem to use this interface on a new computer.
But why not just upgrade Windows to Win11 ? And update the RME driver.
Just because Microsoft stops updating win 10, that don't mean it got deleted or out of order ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2024-07-19 06:40:04)

There will be no issue, I have a Win11 parallel installation, and you can see from RME download page, that the drivers are also for Windows 11.

I see no reason to update to Win11 because the lifetime (EoL) of Win11 in contrast to Win10 is only one month more.

Windows 11 doesn't give you any advantages, rather disadvantages. You will probably have to buy a new computer because Windows 11 eats up a lot of performance due to this unruly performance-guzzling core isolation/virtualization. Of course also from the higher-performance system.
And even in the Pro version, you are being forced to use online accounts. But with using online accounts, you will have many disadvantages. This gives Microsoft more power over your system. At the end of the day, if they decided to make Windows as a cloud product, then they can easily enforce by this, that you have to pay for Windows on a monthly basis.
Otherwise, they block your account, and then you can't do anything anymore with your device. Happy new world of online accounts....

So plan an installation with the Rufus tool right away. Then you can get rid of all these nasty requirements:
- Secure Boot
- TMP
- Online Account (disconnect LAN during installation)
- Kern Virtualization
- also, no need for a new computer.
Then you can use Windows 11 on the current system without hesitation and save yourself the hardware costs at this time.

Win10 ESU (extended security support):

For individuals and organizations, there is an extended security support (ESU) for Win10 planned
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo … ty-updates
Prices are not announced, M$ claims free for Windows365 users (paid by using cloud software).
Otherwise, you need to pay on an annual basis.
Time range up to 3 years maximum after Win10 EoL.
This would be another option to stay on Windows 10 for an extended time.

I think this is exactly what I will do because Windows 11 has really nothing which attracts me, more the contrary is the case.
Luckily, AI services can be deactivated now based on negative user feedback.
This new AI mechanism is based on permanent screenshots on your system, evaluating the information on screen so that you can search for every topic that was visible on your screen (default 3 months).
But this is definitively not the way of AI … it looks more like a spy on your system.
If I look for something on my PC, then I expect good working tools comparable or better as Windows Search.
But not a process which makes screenshots (I think it was every second or so) and the data being processed by a separate AI CPU … no thanks. If this is the only thing which this new AI CPU can do, then I would like to save the cost and not buy something which has this included.

Not sure, whether all these Rufus tricks will work on future versions of Windows. Hopefully, let's see.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Regarding new hardware with KI, maybe better wait until certain products are "purified" again wink

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre … es.322454/
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Kuenstli … n-1451882/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13