1 (edited by Arnoid 2024-07-22 15:22:11)

Topic: Settings reference level RME ufx III

I'm using my rme ufx III with an analog mixer (midas venice) and external gear and ableton.

I'm trying to understand the reference levels and what is the best setting in such a setup.

To achieve unity gain I have to use the same setting for inputs and outputs (So both +13dBu or +19dBu)

The only thing that changes is the headroom for the input I guess? 13dBu (9db) or 19dBu (15db) before digital clipping.

2 (edited by ramses 2024-07-22 15:35:46)

Re: Settings reference level RME ufx III

> The only thing that changes is the headroom for the input I guess? 13dBu (9db) or 19dBu (15db) before digital clipping.

For inputs the input sensitivity, for outputs the volume.

The higher the input sensitivity (to get even for consumer level a reasonable metering),
the lower the headroom for loud input signals.

Easy to see & check.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Okay so I guess 19dBu input and output is the way to go then

4 (edited by ramses 2024-07-23 06:36:07)

You can't generalize like this as it makes not sense. It depends on the gear that you connect.

Some gear has only low output level, consumer level -10 dBV only studio level around +4 dBu.
Then you need more sensitive input levels or the input signal is too low.

Some gears input might be overloaded by +19 dBu signals, you need to check the manual of your gear,
what input levels they support.

For your active monitors you might need lowest ref level and attenuator not to blow ears/equipment.
See also level mismatches here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

You can also search also the forum (use extended forum search), I remember I explained reference levels a few times.
In the extended forum search you can enter my name and use AND and OR for the search expression.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I did read a lot on the forum but it stays confusing.

When sending a test tone  (1KHZ sine wave -18dBfs) from my DAW I  have to put the output on +19dBu in total mix to reach 0dBu on my analog mixer (channel of mixer on 0dB an no gain).

All the analog inputs of the ufx are connected to direct output of my mixer, after some test it seems +19dBu is the best to keep enough headroom. (In the manual of my mixer I see +22dBu for input and output in technical specification)

Problem is if you want unity gain you have to keep the same reference level for both input and outputs in total mix.

The main outputs of my ufx are on +4dBU which is connected to my monitors.

6 (edited by ramses 2024-07-23 19:39:25)

Does unity gain make much sense as a goal? Different components have a different reference levels.

If a sender has different gain than the receiver, I would simply take care, that the receiver can get the signal with the best S/NR which he is capable of. Then you choose the best matching reference level on the input.

But perhaps your setup and the associated requirements are different to mine.

Unity gain makes sense if you are working with external effects or processors

8 (edited by ramses 2024-07-24 11:44:16)

Arnoid wrote:

Unity gain makes sense if you are working with external effects or processors

You seem to have devices, where this is possible.
Sorry, I didn't think of that.

My Lexicon PCM 81 and 91 do not deliver the same output level, and it would be too much work
involved trying to change all. And then some other devices deliver another level, and each device
might have its sweet spot in terms of output level (e.g. preamp output of my Marshall's).