Topic: Babyface Pro - extra HP output via optical out with cheap DAC?

The PH 3/4 on my Babyface is used for my main headphone (Audeze LCD-X) and has some EQing in Totalmix applied to suit that headphone.

I want to use my secondary headphone (Audiotechnica ATH-M50x) with the Babyface without EQ and without having to buy a clunky headphone amp that costs me almost as much as the headphone itself and takes up valuable space.

I am wondering if I could use the optical output for that purpose with some cheap DAC like this:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Converter-Di … d&th=1

Is this likely to work without screwing up the sound too much?

Re: Babyface Pro - extra HP output via optical out with cheap DAC?

ramses wrote:

Do you intend to use them at the same time?

If it doesn't disturb too much you can plug the phones that you want to use and activate or deactivate the EQ in TM FX.
Or save to a 2nd TM FX snapshot and disable EQ there.

Phazma wrote:

Quite unlikely that anyone here in the forum has exactly this adapter. Just try it out for yourself, there's not much that can go wrong at this price.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Phazma wrote:

Don't know the product, but it is probably okay for that secondary headphone.

If both are not used at the same time, you could also just create a snapshot in total mix to toggle between the two.

4 (edited by Phazma 2024-07-25 12:20:26)

I am thinking to use PH 3/4 as Main Out and one of the digital outs (perhaps A/S) as Main Out B, match the headphone volumes, link their volume controls and toggle between them with the "Speaker B" switch assigned to one of the Babyface buttons.

Thing is, I don't always work at a fixed volume and I'd like to change both headphone volumes together so that they stay consistent and I avoid one headphone blasting me.

5 (edited by ramses 2024-07-25 12:56:19)

If you use the 2nd Snapshot for the 2nd headphone without EQ,
then you can also configure and save the proper volume in the snapshot, then it doesn't become too loud.

TotalMix FX has the possibilities to save the volume in snapshots, see preferences.

If you have a headphone of the quality of an Audeze LCD-X you won't change much to the other one, which most likely doesn't have the qualities of the LCD-X (which I know as well). Then better get used to mix/master with LCD-X. Two different headphones could be confusing for your ears.

I personally would avoid having so many cables around me like you would have with this additional adapter which also needs power (I think from USB, one cable more).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Of course for critical listening and mixing/mastering I use the Audeze. I use the Audiotechnica when I need to work with closed back headphones or when I am doing non-critical stuff as it is just lighter on the head.

The snapshot method is not a bad idea but I am afraid that I might forget to toggle it sometimes when switching headphones and also I don't want both playing at the same time. So the "Speaker B" method would be the ideal workflow for me.

I think I will just try out this adapter. Seems to be the cheapest, smallest/lightest and least cable-heavy option. If it doesn't work I can still send it back and think of another solution. I just wanted to ask here if this can even work in theory or I might be overlooking something, before I cause a shipment that could be avoided. But guess it comes down to this specific DAC. On the product page it says that the supported audio format is "PCM" and it seems to be aimed towards smart TV users. AFAIK PCM is just normal, lossless, digital audio as transmitted by the Babyface over it's optical out so it should be compatible.

Exactly. It's unlikely to sound noticeably terrible for most purposes...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Got that DAC from Amazon and just wanted to report back that it works nicely with the Babyface optical out set to spdif. The only bummer is that it does introduce DC offset which makes the bass sound a little different, but not different enough to notice unless I am A/B testing. Maybe the high frequencies seem a little harsher too but might be placebo. Anyway I think for the price it is pretty good and good enough to power my secondary headphone. So Babyface optical out as additional headphone output is definitely doable without spending a fortune.