1 (edited by Jas0_0 2024-07-24 21:31:55)

Topic: Totalmix into SoundSource

Hi all,

I use a Fireface 400 and a Mac mini.  Worried this might be a dumb question, but I want to route the signal from the FF400 mic pres from Totalmix into SoundSouce to apply EQ before sending the signal back to the FF400 and out to monitors.

Totalmix appears in the app list on SoundSource, but no signal from Totalmix is registered at all.

Wondering if this is because I'm routing wrong in Totalmix, or because I've misunderstood what Totalmix is.

Very grateful for any help.

Many thanks,

James

2 (edited by waedi 2024-07-25 00:47:06)

Re: Totalmix into SoundSource

No need to route anything, the inputs of the interface unit are directly on the input channels in Totalmix (for monitoring mainly) and in the computer system for the DAW.
When you say, but no signal from Totalmix is registered at all, where have you been looking ? In Totalmix ? Is the input signal visible in Totalmix ? It has to.
Do you have a DAW ? Or any programm that is capable of receiving audio signals from input channels ?
You should use a DaW to verify input signals in the computer.
If you don't have a DAW installed, use Reaper, Download and testing is for free without restrictions.
Sound sources in the MacOS system preferences or Audio-Midi-Setup don't show signals, only engaged audio-interfaces or audio-software with input and output channel (virtual soundcards)

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

TotalMix does not send or receive audio from other apps. If it shows up within SoundSource then this is an error. SoundSource either lets you select the FF400 Mic inputs, or just uses the first two channels of the system audio. This is explained in the FF400 manual, 16.6 Various Information. But as the mic inputs are channels 1/2 here already it should just work. You might have to select the FF400 as general input in Audio MIDI Setup, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

TotalMix does not send or receive audio from other apps. If it shows up within SoundSource then this is an error. SoundSource either lets you select the FF400 Mic inputs, or just uses the first two channels of the system audio. This is explained in the FF400 manual, 16.6 Various Information. But as the mic inputs are channels 1/2 here already it should just work. You might have to select the FF400 as general input in Audio MIDI Setup, though.

Thanks Matthias, I feared this might be the case.  Sadly SoundSource doesn’t allow EQ on input from the FF400.  Might just have to continue using Audio Hijack.

Why not just use the channel EQ in TotalMix?

khollister wrote:

Why not just use the channel EQ in TotalMix?

Not supported on Fireface 400 sadly.  Fair enough though… it is 18 years old.

'Not supported' does not describe the situation clearly. The Fireface 400 does not have any EQ or other FX at all. Same with the Fireface 800. DSP support for FX (PEQ, Reverb, Echo) came in later models.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME