1 (edited by sylvainrobine 2024-07-26 18:30:36)

Topic: FIREFACE UC doesn't work on OSX Mojave

Hi the community smile
I'm looking for solution

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro running under Mojave /// 16 Go // 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5

When I plug my FireFace UC in USB, i have
- strange sounds (they modulate when I run a video or when i move the front button of the soundcard)...
- Or, i have crackles
- Or sudden silences... with or without little unperceptible digital sounds

It doesn't seem to follow any logic.
It can work perfectly for 1 hour, then unexpected sudden silence when working on a project. I reboot the computer and have crackles. The day after everything's OK... for 10 minutes. It's chaotic...

I tried to update firmware and drivers but didn't fix anything.
I sent the FireFace back : RME says it's okay.

So maybe it is about wrong firmware / drivers ?

Does anybody know how and where i could find the right driver to install ? Or have a solution to this problem ?
Sincerely, i'm about to give up because I really don't understand anything and i can't use my FireFace.

Thank you for reading ! It would be amazing to understand what's happening.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-07-27 00:17:48)

Re: FIREFACE UC doesn't work on OSX Mojave

Open the Fireface settings and read the firmware and driver and errors, firmware should be 127, driver should be 3223
Mojave is 10.14, driver version 3.223 compatible to 10.12  up to 10.15 intel Macs
You did replace the cable and try all ports of the Macbook, right ?

Without interface, music thru the built-in speakers of the Macbook sounds fine ?
And the issue with the interface appears only when the Macbook gets pretty hot ?
You may use an app (istat menu) to monitor the temperature during issue
These old Macbooks are prone to get hot like crazy, service is wanted, open the unit and blow out al dust, clean the fans.
If the harddrive is the original spinning drive, you can replace it with a SSD, those produce much less heat and the computer overall is faster.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by sylvainrobine 2024-07-27 10:38:24)

Thanks Waedi,

about the versions :
- firmware : v138
- driver : v3.22

so maybe i could change the versions.
I tried to find older versions yesterday and i couln't find them on RME webSite...
Could you tell me ? big_smile

Is there somewhere a spreadsheet where versions are compiled in function of the OS version ?

And here are below my answers to your questions in capital letters.

Without interface, music thru the built-in speakers of the Macbook sounds fine ?
YES

And the issue with the interface appears only when the Macbook gets pretty hot ?
NOT REALLY... but I'll check this parameter

You may use an app (istat menu) to monitor the temperature during issue
THANKs, i'll try

These old Macbooks are prone to get hot like crazy, service is wanted, open the unit and blow out al dust, clean the fans.
IT'S ALL CLEAN INSIDE

If the harddrive is the original spinning drive, you can replace it with a SSD, those produce much less heat and the computer overall is faster.
I ALREADY CHANGED TO A SSD.

Again, thanks you

Firmware seems to be ok.
The driver is not the newest, I would install the 3223 for test.
Next time when crackles occure, open the fireface settings and see if any errors are reported.
Then you know if the crackles comes from USB problem or audio output problem.
The reported errors mean USB transmission failure.

5 (edited by sylvainrobine 2024-07-27 17:53:28)

Hello,

Where can i find this "errors report" in fireface settings ?
just have 4 fields :  "level", "clock mode", "output format", "input status" + a "short safety offset" box

This morning : surprise that the sound works perfectly through the FireFace for 5 minutes // I stopped music to work on other stuff for 10 minutes // back to the computer : no sound anymore (level faders on totalMix are green and moving as if there is sound, but not in my headphones anymore)

I installed v3223 as you recommended -> still no sound.
But the level fader shows activity hmm

Then i realised that i only work with the front Ch.7/8 with headphones.
I put the headphones on back outputs : it works !
So it is the front output which is in cause... but at what level ?

I tested all this day : 7/8 on front is still not working (despite green faders working on TotalMix), but back outputs work !!

I'm just wondering if there is a physical issue... despite RME told me 2 years ago that everything was OK (when i sent it back).

I bought an adaptator to link my headphones to back outputs 1 and 2. So i can work, but something is still wrong hmm

https://i.ibb.co/BzTDg0X/err.jpg

You may provide a sreenshot of your Totalmix with sound on headphone output ?

8 (edited by sylvainrobine 2024-07-28 11:29:26)

hi, i tried to post images, with links from dropbox or googleDrive... i didn't succeed.. feeling like a real newby in this forum world.
Which kind of link do you put between  ?

the windows of USB settings on OSX doesn't have the "Error" part

https://i.ibb.co/MffVpK3/imgtag.jpg

10 (edited by sylvainrobine 2024-07-28 11:52:07)

yes thanks,
i did that like this :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J1GOhoTK24lKXjwDdi2iY9MNznMR7TVK/view?usp=drive_link

but it doesn't seem to load the picture hmm

there are the two "img" at the begening and at the end but they disappear and let only the link appear on the message

sylvainrobine wrote:

yes thanks,
i did that like this :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J1GOhoTK24lKXjwDdi2iY9MNznMR7TVK/view?usp=drive_link

but it doesn't seem to load the picture hmm

there are the two "img" at the begening and at the end but they disappear and let only the link appear on the message

The link has to be of an image directly .png or .jpg or .gif
Your link is of a webpage, you have to open the link in your browser and right-click onto the image and copy image-address.
Paste the image-address into the IMG tag.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … rum-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

13 (edited by sylvainrobine 2024-07-28 13:08:06)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bqu0qooevyoh8oircg8r2/Screenshot-2024-07-28-at-11.29.08.png?rlkey=9qr2wocqr1b5ekaznun5imscu&st=gne5zhnv&dl=1

14 (edited by sylvainrobine 2024-07-28 13:17:10)

This screenshot has been taken when ni couldn't listen any sound from the front/headphone ch7/8 output.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bnkhvn5f1n81mr3f1r9kh/Screenshot-2024-07-25-at-17.12.34.png?rlkey=jo4gb5rx7pe29j8v83p16ju94&st=bveapa53&dl=1

Tnank you a lot for your patience.
Since this morning, front output is running good... don't know why.
There was a USB stuff this morning, FireFace moving few times from "plugged" to "standalone mode"... this USB error issue is maybe the right direction, so i'd like to find your Error on Fireface USB settings window... it might help.