Topic: Fireface 400 & macOS Sequoia Driver Compatibility?

Has anyone tried out the new macOS Sequoia while using the Fireface 400? Does the driver still work? Do apps like DigiCheck still work?

2 (edited by ramses 2024-07-29 18:10:00)

Re: Fireface 400 & macOS Sequoia Driver Compatibility?

JAF wrote:

Has anyone tried out the new macOS Sequoia while using the Fireface 400? Does the driver still work? Do apps like DigiCheck still work?

Isn't it one of the features of macOS that the recording interface and its driver have to integrate into the sound infrastructure of macOS? It's not like Windows and an ASIO driver where you have direct access to the recording interface.
So … if the FF400 works on your Apple, then any application that uses audio should work.
Does that make sense to you?

Then you should perhaps better tell which Mac and which version of macOS you have so that somebody can confirm that the FF400 is working and by using which components.

Does your Apple still have a FW interface, or do you need thunderbolt and connectors? Or would you use an external thunderbolt case?

Good if you could provide additional information about your intended setup, thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
JAF wrote:

Isn't it one of the features of macOS that the recording interface and its driver have to integrate into the sound infrastructure of macOS? It's not like Windows and an ASIO driver where you have direct access to the recording interface.
So … if the FF400 works on your Apple, then any application that uses audio should work.

Then you should perhaps better tell which Mac and which version of macOS you have so that somebody can confirm that the FF400 is working and by using which components.

Does your Apple still have a FW interface, or do you need thunderbolt and connectors? Or would you use an external thunderbolt case?

Good if you could provide additional information about your intended setup, thanks.

So, I'm running FF400 on an Apple M1 with macOS Ventura, I have also found out it works on Sonoma as well, which is macOS 14, my main question is if it does work on macOS 15 Sequoia. Why I ask? It's because whenever you update macOS, it says "macOS driver future incompatibility warning". My Mac does not have a thunderbolt port, the RME is powered by 2 connectors to be plugged into the USB C port, and I have no issues with that on my current macOS.

JAF wrote:
ramses wrote:
JAF wrote:

So, I'm running FF400 on an Apple M1 with macOS Ventura, I have also found out it works on Sonoma as well, which is macOS 14, my main question is if it does work on macOS 15 Sequoia. Why I ask? It's because whenever you update macOS, it says "macOS driver future incompatibility warning". My Mac does not have a thunderbolt port, the RME is powered by 2 connectors to be plugged into the USB C port, and I have no issues with that on my current macOS.

Your mac has a Thunderbolt 4 port!!!

5 (edited by JAF 2024-07-29 20:29:47)

alespardo wrote:
JAF wrote:
ramses wrote:

Your mac has a Thunderbolt 4 port!!!

haha yes my bad, it does have 2, incorrectly wrote that haha, thanks for pointing this out!

Your Mac has Thunderbolt 3, unless you forgot to write 'Pro'. Simply Google it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by JAF 2024-08-02 09:54:28)

MC wrote:

Your Mac has Thunderbolt 3, unless you forgot to write 'Pro'. Simply Google it.

I know that already, my Mac mini has 2 thunderbolt 3 ports.. This was never my issue. smile

My question was if the FF400 is still supported via software updates *macOS Sequoia.

Why I ask? It's because whenever you update macOS, it says "macOS driver future incompatibility warning". So I do not want to risk losing compatibility, so I am just asking if someone tried it out or has a link that talks about this and compatibility.

So, does anyone have a clue? Sorry for any misunderstanding from my first message.

8 (edited by Markdude 2024-08-02 20:21:06)

Hello, I believe I have a similar question.

I've started to get the following message when I boot up my M1 Mac mini on Sonoma 14.5 (using Firewire->Thunderbolt adapter and kernel driver v3.41):

"Legacy System Extension

Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "RME GmbH" which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support."

The setup is currently working flawlessly, but is more specific information available about this? Will RME drivers and software be updated to support this configuration in this case? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm pretty new to Macs.

JAF wrote:

Hi there have you tried it and tested it?
Cheers.

10 (edited by bardsisson 2024-09-20 16:06:51)

Laennec wrote:
JAF wrote:

Cheers.

I have 2 fire face 800s on a Mac Studio ultra, I tried it and it didn't work had to role back. The fire face app seems to see them but cant get any sound.

bardsisson wrote:
Laennec wrote:
JAF wrote:

Cheers.

I have 2 fire face 800s on a Mac Studio ultra, I tried it and it didn't work had to role back. The fire face app seems to see them but cant get any sound.

In MacOS system preferences / General / startup items & extensions
Is RME listed and enabled ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

12 (edited by bardsisson 2024-09-20 17:57:27)

waedi wrote:
bardsisson wrote:
Laennec wrote:

Cheers.

In MacOS system preferences / General / startup items & extensions
Is RME listed and enabled ?

yes. security was set to allow as well. like I said it was like 1/2 working the app could see as well as in the audio/midi app. the interfaces would only go in stand alone mode tho.

Update. I did a fresh install of Sequoia and everything seems to work fine. havent done a lot of testing yet but Ableton sees the fireface 800 now.