Topic: OctaMic XTC - Problem with +48V

Hello,

I have an OctaMic XTC connected to a UFX+ via MADI (optical). Whenever I try to turn on phantom power (+48V) on a channel, it is also switched on the other channel of the "stereo pair". For example, if I turn on +48V on Mic 1, it is also switched on for the Mic 2 channel, if I turn it on for Mic 4 it also turns on for Mic 3, and so on. This happens whether I turn it on using the interface on the OctaMic XTC itself or remotely controlling it via TotalMix FX.

This is of course very problematic and potentially dangerous when using ribbon microphones and such. I don't understand what causes this behaviour and how to stop it. Any suggestion would be very welcome.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-08-22 21:12:52)

Re: OctaMic XTC - Problem with +48V

niccoloc wrote:

This happens whether I turn it on using the interface on the OctaMic XTC itself or remotely controlling it via TotalMix FX.

Did you try the Midi Remote app ?
There the phantompower has a switch (on/off button) on every channel.

https://i.ibb.co/NTKV4VK/Bildschirmfoto-2024-08-22-um-22-08-10.png

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

You may gave grouped ch 1+2 and 3+4
You can disable the groups somewhere.
Georg

4 (edited by waedi 2024-08-23 03:03:42)

Just discovered on the RME website / NEWS :
Connector 2.0
The newest remote control app
Try it !

https://rme-audio.de/downloads/rmeconnector-mac-arm.dmg

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I tried using RME Connector and it works! So i guess that the problem is somehow related to TotalMix FX. Is there anyway to report the bug to RME?

6 (edited by Muffin 2024-08-23 12:28:04)

niccoloc wrote:

I tried using RME Connector and it works! So i guess that the problem is somehow related to TotalMix FX. Is there anyway to report the bug to RME?

It's not a bug but a feature in TotalMix FX when two channels are ganged as a stereo pair, and a number of other settings operates this way as well.

So it's a feature request to replace the 48V with two buttons to control phantom power for left and right microphone, same as RME did for Phase.

If that is the issue here then why not use two mono channels instead?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME