Topic: All RME devices that provide turntable connection

Hi All.
I currently have and still using ff400.
I'm using Roksan amp for the phono preamp then routed through ff400 to digitize vinyl / play via my desktop speakers.

Looking to upgrade my ff400 as drivers not officially supported in Sonoma, although I do have ff400 working, but post Sonoma RME legacy drivers likely won't work.

My needs are:
Audio editing
Vinyl playback / restoration / digitisation
High quality stereo playback
Very occasional tracking - no more than 2 ins
EQ would be good but not essential as happy to purchase a separate unit

Can see the ADI 2/4 Pro SE seems suitable but quite a jump in cost.

I have following questions:
Is there any other RME device that fits my criteria?
Also, will totalmix ever support the ADI 2/4 Pro SE as I'd find the loop back function useful. I'm familiar with total mix/ fireface settings so be far happier with that continuity. I must confess I've definitely been put off the ADI Pro SE since finding out its a completely different software ecosystem.

What functions does the ADI drivers / software provide?

Additionally what is the feature set of the ADI drivers / software?

Lastly, I didn't imagine that my ff400 would still be running 14 years after purchasing (bar 1 gratis repair due to corroded terminals),
so will definitely stick with RME.
Thanks in advance
Jay

2 (edited by ramses 2024-08-25 14:10:21)

Re: All RME devices that provide turntable connection

Only the ADI-2/4 supports turntable connection and RIAA decoding (which is quite flexible to configure).
Otherwise, you would need a phono preamp that brings the turntable signal to line level and choose another device.
Keep also in mind that the preamp only supports MM, not MC, I think for MC you would need an additional preamp.

You can also use extended forum search to find some postings from KaiS about his setup and recommendations for connecting turntables.

You can also use a combination of recording interface and reference converter to get its unique features for your monitoring.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Because the Reference Converter won't get TotalMix FX, that has already been discussed on this forum.
But you could e.g. use a Digiface USB in combination with a reference converter to keep cost low.

Yes, the ADI-2/4 Pro is expensive, but worth the additional money as it has some additional cool features.
See also this overview or look into the manual.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p165706

Some more information about the reference converter in my blog article here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

Also interesting that the ADI-2/4 became even one reference level more.
In combination with Auto Ref level the device has even a wider range of high SNR and Dynamic, check my Excel here,
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … v004-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The ADI range are more of a hi fi DAC (well AD) whereas the the fireface interfaces range are recording interfaces. They may have similar functions but are a different line altogether.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

4 (edited by waedi 2024-08-25 14:22:33)

If you find one of these on the used market...
it needs hdsp PCI card or PCMCIA cardbus (the host socket is not firewire it only looks like)

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_hdsp_rpm_6b.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by rbpeirce 2024-08-25 14:36:47)

I have a UCX and used the front mic inputs for TT MC input.  RIAA was done in software.  I use firewire but it also supports USB.  Assuming your TT has RCA connectors you will need to convert that to XLR.

Mac Mini
Fireface UCX
Balanced output to Classe Power Amplifier and HSU subwoofers.

6 (edited by ramses 2024-08-25 15:03:41)

mkok wrote:

The ADI range are more of a hi fi DAC (well AD) whereas the the fireface interfaces range are recording interfaces. They may have similar functions but are a different line altogether.

Nope.

The ADI-2 Series started an April 2016 with the ADI-2 Pro as a reference converter for the studio. Also in the studio you need - among other things - capable headphone outputs to drive headphones with high impedance and low sensitivity.
Look also here the comparison between ADI-2 Pro FS with HEDD and Lavry (nice studio devices to a "friendship price" of over €4000 for AD alone):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHG32aXBDY

It turned out, that the HiFi Scene could also make good use of such a device, so the ADI-2 DAC FS was released, with slightly less I/O options and line levels more suitable for HiFi, including also RCA connectors.
The main goal at that time was to release this device for under €1000.
But the quality of the ADI-2 DAC FS was the same as the "studio device".
Only fewer I/O ports, only one DA chip, no balanced phone option but an IEM output.

The ADI-2/4 Pro SE is again a true studio device, with line levels that you find in the studio and even support for 5 reference levels. Turntable support is an add-on that you can use for Studio and HiFi.

So, It's not about HiFi …

The ADI-2 Series is full packed with features as reference converter. There is no room for TM FX and the device would become too complex. 2nd FPGA? Well, think about temperature, complexity and the final price, it should still be affordable and maintainable.

If you only want to record a few tracks and do not need TotalMix FX .. Get the reference converter.

If you require TotalMix FX, get a recording interface.

If you want TM FX and also the reference converters features for your monitoring. Well then get both and integrate the reference converter into your setup using a digital connection (AES, ADAT, SPDIF).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by ramses 2024-08-25 15:47:38)

waedi wrote:

If you find one of these on the used market...
it needs hdsp PCI card or PCMCIA cardbus (the host socket is not firewire it only looks like)

But you don't have to use the oldest devices either, which in addition need a special PCI or Express card to run.
Sorry, but this is no good idea.
The next thing that he has to buy is a PCIe to PCI adapter right?!

Better ask him for his requirements, whether It's still FF400 alike or something different.

If used market, then I would start with something like a UC or UCX.
If it's all about cost, maybe a Digiface USB? This fits to all systems: laptop, desktop.

UCX is probably better than UC as it has also FX capability. And is more handy for standalone use if that matters....

Thank you all for your suggestions and the additional information. - much appreciated.
Think I'll probably explore the feasibility of a cheaper RME device with software that decodes RIAA etc. before purchasing the ADI 2/4 as I'd still need to purchase something like Vinyl Studio Pro or Diamond Cut DCart11 to automate track splitting / track lookup to make the vinyl transfer as painless as possible.

Looking to upgrade my ff400 as drivers not officially supported in Sonoma, although I do have ff400 working, but post Sonoma RME legacy drivers likely won't work.

The legacy Firewire drivers still work on Sequoia, latest beta, here.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard