1 (edited by christianh 2024-09-14 12:10:27)

Topic: How to get hold of old drivers for the Babyface Pro FS

I need older windows drivers for my Babyface Pro FS.

Problem is often drivers i uninstall prior to installing a newer version never uninstalls completely. It's been like this since i owned the first Babyface Pro.

Otherwise they and the card are very stable but still a nuisance. Now it seems the 1.2.22.0 drivers from 2022 never uninstalled completely and at the same time i have the 1.2.46.00 drivers installed. I am quite sure i uninstalled the 1.2.22.0 prior to installing the new drivers but Windows update or something must have reinstalled them again? I am searching for Windows x64 drivers.

One other unrelated question is that I need a longer usb-cable does RME sell those? And would a longer cable about 20-30cm impact the performance?

Thank you for all answers!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-09-14 14:32:25)

Re: How to get hold of old drivers for the Babyface Pro FS

The Fireface USB Settings Dialog shows the current driver version in use.
What means nuisance ? The card is very stable ? Where is the issue ?
You have uninstalled old driver ? How ?
On Mac the driver-installer does remove the old driver automatic.
Is it different in Windows ?
To my understanding you only have to install the newest valid driver and that's it.

For the cable 20 to 30 cm larger is no problem.
The RME shop has a 2m cable :
https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113
The performance of the interface has no impact.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The Fireface USB Settings Dialog shows the current driver version in use.
What means nuisance ? The card is very stable ? Where is the issue ?
You have uninstalled old driver ? How ?
On Mac the driver-installer does remove the old driver automatic.
Is it different in Windows ?
To my understanding you only have to install the newest valid driver and that's it.

For the cable 20 to 30 cm larger is no problem.
The RME shop has a 2m cable :
https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113
The performance of the interface has no impact.

I was a bit unclear. What I meant is that the drivers are still listed in the uninstall and change program list on Windows even though I have uninstalled them. And when I try to uninstall them again I get shown a window with text and different commands.

This have happened for many years now. Not everytime but often. I usually don't install the newer drivers over the old ones. It's a habit but i think it's quite common sense regarding most hardware and it's drivers.

The cable says it's 2 meters. Isn't that what you get with the Babyface Pro FS in the package? And is it compatible with the latest Babyface model?

Thanks for clearing up. Windows has a feature for deleting drivers but it's not working.
Have a look into the Fireface USB Settings, this is the place to see the driver in use.
The Babyface Pro FS is the newest Babyface as far as I know.
I don't know the cable but in the RME-shop there is a catalog of different cables for all interfaces, you will find one.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by ramses 2024-09-14 16:16:55)

RME drivers do not need deinstallation, see manual ch 7.1, this is clearly stated.

Also from my own experience: I have been using various RME products for over 10 years and a driver uninstall has never been necessary. Neither with FW, USB, HDSPe, HDSPe MADI FX drivers nor with the MADIface driver which I have been using for many years now.

Sorry, but maybe you are doing something wrong by following wrong procedures or using strange tools?
RME drivers never had an uninstaller, so what are you using if you talk about deinstallation?

You can use any USB2 cable up to 5 m. Cables from Lindy are a good compromise to get good quality for acceptable price.
RME cables will bring you no benefit. Possibly they are only available in the length like they ship them with the products.
When using 3rd party, you might have more options regarding length. See e.g. this with double shield and 10y of warranty:
https://www.lindy.de/5m-USB-2-0-Typ-A-a … ;ci=800501

If you need longer than 5 m you can use passive USB extensions from Startech, which are for USB3, but also work fine for USB2. I have those in use for UFX III and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. They come with a PSU, but they also work USB bus powered.
See https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 71#p210971

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Windows just kept a backup, it is not a problem. Of you insist on getting rid of them as I once did, you will cause more problems then you solve, at least I did. Now I just install the latest over the previous and all is fine here.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

christianh wrote:

I was a bit unclear. What I meant is that the drivers are still listed in the uninstall and change program list on Windows even though I have uninstalled them. And when I try to uninstall them again I get shown a window with text and different commands.

This have happened for many years now. Not everytime but often. I usually don't install the newer drivers over the old ones. It's a habit but i think it's quite common sense regarding most hardware and it's drivers.

The cable says it's 2 meters. Isn't that what you get with the Babyface Pro FS in the package? And is it compatible with the latest Babyface model?

The original cable is 1 meter long.

You are talking about the orphaned driver entry in Windows 'Add or remove programs'. That is just a line in the registry, it has no meaning about drivers being present or not. The entry can not be deleted easily, so just forget that one. It works only one time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
christianh wrote:

The original cable is 1 meter long.

You are talking about the orphaned driver entry in Windows 'Add or remove programs'. That is just a line in the registry, it has no meaning about drivers being present or not. The entry can not be deleted easily, so just forget that one. It works only one time.

Thank you! Then I fell comfortable it's nothing wrong and more in line what's intended and I will ignore it in the future. Does RME sell any longer cable? 1,5 or 2m?

Sorry, no. But you can use a short USB3 extension cable to make it more long. USB 3 because they have better power lines.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Sorry, no. But you can use a short USB3 extension cable to make it more long. USB 3 because they have better power lines.

Thank you!