1 (edited by TX-Jdub 2024-09-16 20:28:25)

Topic: FF800 and MacOS Sequoia 15.x on Apple Silicon Macs (M1, M2, etc)

It's that time of year again where those faithful, non-upgrading, stubborn and adoring fans of the FireFace 800 (all 3 of us maybe, haha) take the dive on one of our Mac audio workstations, and report our findings.  Here we go...

So I just upgraded to MacOS Sequoia 15.0 on my Mac Studio, and I am pleased to report that my FireFace 800 indeed still functions perfectly. **

** you likely need a dedicated PCI Express FireWire 800 card, to successfully use the FF800 at this late date: less and less success is experienced using Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapters on Intel or Apple Silicon macs.   **And you must also enable Kernel Extensions on your Mac, requiring a change made to your boot security (see link at bottom). 

YMMV, but if you are intent on still using this product or the FF400, the above hassles are required!

My data connectivity path, and gear, is:

Mac Studio M2 Ultra --> Thunderbolt 3/4 Cable --> Startech TB3 PCI expansion Chassis (TB31PCIEX16) --> Ableconn PEX-FW107 PCIe Firewire card (w/ TI XIO2213 chip) --> FW 800 Cable --> Fireface 800.   

Any decent Thunderbolt to PCI Express Chassis rated for Macs should work, but here's what I use to host my FireWire PCI card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R … 8&th=1

And here is my FireWire PCI card (TI chip, VERY important!):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5 … 8&th=1

The FireWire PCI Express card needs to be Texas Instruments XIO2213 chipset, it's the only chipset you want to use.  And there are probably only 5 FireWire PCI Express cards using it at this late date.

Special Note below on enabling Kernel Extensions on an Apple Silicon Mac

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar … e-silicon/

Re: FF800 and MacOS Sequoia 15.x on Apple Silicon Macs (M1, M2, etc)

Thanks for this report it's very useful for many owners of these FF800 and Ff 400
Do you have any insights why this Ti chip is the only chipset we want use ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by TX-Jdub 2024-09-17 03:01:51)

Not a lot of insight, per se, just hard-won experience.  I went through several years / various FireWire setups, on both Windows and Mac platforms, and the "it just works" factor was in the corner of the TI Chipset on 3 different PCI-E cards I used over the years.  On any "built-in Firewire" PCs from the early aughts, with the ports on the motherboard, it was always some kind of oddness or issue.  Rather than perform endless driver searches, or other troubleshooting IT during audio deadlines, someone told me about the gospel of the TI XIO2213 chipset, and I have never looked back.  smile

It just works, and since I already am now dealing with abstracted connectivity on my Mac Studio (of a TB3 cable --> PCI-Express chassis device --> PCI-E FireWire card) I want to leave nothing to chance. 

So my advice on anyone still wanting these to work with modern late-model Macs, and doing a data connectivity chain like the above, I think it's best to use a TI XIO2213 chipset.

Okay, so I will wait with this update for reports from people who have a still working flawlessly simple configuration like mine: iMac M1, Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter chain, Fireface 800.

iMac M1, Fireface 800, Logic Pro X