Topic: ADI 2 PRO switching between coaxial and optical weird behavior

Hi,
I have a question about my ADI 2 PRO FS BE when switching between coaxial spdif and optical spdif.
When i use coax spdif (it works), change to optical spdif (it works) then change the input from optical to coaxial again, the ADI 2 doesn't output any sound anymore. The VU meters are showing like there were sound coming in. Turn off and on and then it works again on either inputs activated.
It's not a big problem but is there something to do to fix this ?
Thank you very much and have a good day

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-09-17 19:34:49)

Re: ADI 2 PRO switching between coaxial and optical weird behavior

This is a bit weird, shouldn’t be like this, hard to track down.
The Coax signal might be disturbed in any way.

• Check if ADI-2‘s power plug is all in, it‘s lockable by a quarter turn and no silver should be visible.

• Make sure the breakout cable’s D-Sub is properly fitted, remove and replug tight.

• Unplug and replug the Coax cable on both sides for better contact.

• Try another Coax cable.

• If both sources have Coax and Optical, you can even try to reverse the connection Optical <-> Coax, so that the other device has the Coax now.

• Check for and install the latest ADI-2 firmware.

• Do an ADI-2 Reset to exclude a software glitch inside ADI-2:

”Basic” reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1, until you see the message: “Reset done.

User Setups and EQ Presets are not deleted.

Or a full factory reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, until you see the message: “Reset done“.

All user Setups and EQ Presets are deleted.
Take notes before, or store them through the Remote App, if you want to keep some.

Hi, and thank you for the answer.
Everything is tight and securely plugged.
Maybe i should have said that i don't unplug anything. It happens when i switch input sources. Same thing with the remote app, the wireless remote or even from the menu on adi2 directly.
It happens also with auto switch.
The ADI correctly switch from AES to USB and vice versa, from AES or USB to Optical spdif and vice versa.
The problem occurs only when i use optical spdif (auto switch enabled or not) then try to switch to coax spdif.

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-09-17 19:34:41)

I have totally understood your problem, but you might have got me wrong:

The above is a “to do”-list to go through step by step, to narrow down the cause of an unusual problem.
Although looking tight, connectors tend to fail sometimes, this has to be excluded.

Another possibility are problems with the Coax source.

You can even check the quality of the Coax signal in the “State Overview” screen, by pushing Encoder 1 or 2 until you see it.
Coax needs to be selected as input for this.

What I’d like to add to the list (included even above):

• Check for and install the latest ADI-2 firmware.

• Do an ADI-2 Reset to exclude a software glitch inside ADI-2:

”Basic” reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1, until you see the message: “Reset done.

User Setups and EQ Presets are not deleted.

Or a full factory reset:

While powering up, push and hold the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial) and Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, until you see the message: “Reset done“.

All user Setups and EQ Presets are deleted.
Take notes before, or store them through the Remote App, if you want to keep some.

Everything was checked, last firmware and all.
I tried leaving SRC ON on the spdif and i could not reproduce the problem.
Sorry i should have tried this before, now it works properly.

One last thing while i'm here. The auto fade when toggling from Phone to Line OUT is not always super clean. Most of the time the sound is high volume for a split second then low and ramp up normaly to the desired level. Any recommandation ?

The ADI 2 is so great i have only such minor things to say..

Thank you again for the fast answers and help

6 (edited by KaiS 2024-09-18 07:19:36)

If ADI-2 behaves strange, a reset or full factory reset should be done (see above).
Settings you want to keep can be saved by the ADI-2 Remote App before.

Which “Mode” ADI-2 Pro is set to (see manual page 36)?

Usually for home use DAC mode is best suited, as it’s the most simplistic one (manual page 43).

Only in DAC mode the IR Remote button’s input switching is enabled (*1), and ADI-2’s sample rate follows the input source, no matter what USB and other inputs deliver.

(*1) The limitation has a logical technical reason:
In other “Modes” the input configurations are complex and cannot be set by a simple button prress.

Hi,

I indeed use the DAC mode since i got the ADI2.
The problem is not gone, contrary to what i said. I did the full reset to factory and it still behaves the same.

Sporadicaly, no sound comes out from the AES output. Tho it comes out of the PH 1/2 when i toggle from LINE OUT. If it's powered OFF and ON then AES output works again.

8 (edited by KaiS 2024-10-09 15:33:08)

ADI-2’s AES out to what destination?

To my monitors AES input