Topic: UFX III is forgotten by DAWs when computer goes to sleep?

So I've noticed that whenever my computer goes to sleep, if I have my UFX III selected as my interface in a DAW, when the computer wakes up, it "loses connection" to it and I have to manually reselect it.

This happens mainly for me in Max/MSP (my main "DAW") but also happens in Ableton Live. Interestingly Logic does remember it for some reason.

In trying to narrow things down, I notice that this does not happen with my Babyface. Meaning that the system does remember the Babyface when it goes to sleep.

I've tried a MOTU interface and it is also remembered.

So that narrows the problem down to the UFX III specifically. I do know that the amount of I/O it has is problematic for some apps (e.g. Zoom), but I never have an issue with the OS (or Logic, as it turns out) remembering it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm on macOS 14.6.1 with a UFX III running DK 4.12 (firmware v20).

Re: UFX III is forgotten by DAWs when computer goes to sleep?

Why not try the new driver 4.16 ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Ooh, didn't know there was a new one already. It's been doing this for quite a few driver versions, but fingers crossed.

Ok, definitely still happens with DK 4.16.

What you can try :
In the DAW select audio device system audio device instead RME.
And in the MacOS Preferences Audio select the RME as audio output and audio input.

Neither Max/MSP or Live have "System Audio" as an option, only physical devices (e.g. "Mac mini speakers" as an output). In my OS I do have the UFX III as my default I/O and those always remain connected (even after sleep).

Even when turning the UFX III off for the night, when I turn it back on, the OS grabs onto it whereas other DAWs don't (though Logic gives a popup for any interface "Do you want to connect to xxx").

That sounds like on wake-up the UFX III is recognized/detected from the OS after the respective softwares wake up, so they are not aware of the UFX III anymore. Did you connect the UFX III through a hub or special adapter? Any other stuff hanging on the same ports? Does it help to set the Interface mode in UFX III to USB 3 instead of Auto?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm plugged directly into the back of the computer with a USB 3 cable.

When I compared my Babyface and MOTU interfaces, those all went through a USB3 hub. The only things I have plugged into the back of my computer are the UFX III directly, an iphone cable, and a couple of USB hubs.

For some reason I can't change the Interface Mode (turning Knob2 does nothing when it is selected). Does the computer need to be powered off in order to change this?
It is presently set to Auto.

rodrigo.constanzo wrote:

For some reason I can't change the Interface Mode (turning Knob2 does nothing when it is selected). Does the computer need to be powered off in order to change this?
It is presently set to Auto.

I think it is properly documented in the manual. All you need to do is to unplug the USB cable and replug after change.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok I've changed the Interface Mode to USB3 and still have the same issue when the computer goes to sleep. The OS retains the interface, but the DAW(s) don't.

Are the daws open during sleep?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Yeah.

Basically my studio computer/DAWs are on all day, and I'll often leave and come back after 15min or whatever, and the computer sleeps after 10. So when I come back I have to set the interface in the DAW each time.

I guess I can increase the time it takes for the computer to sleep, but ideally it would connect to the same interface even after 1h.

OK, I don't know if this is relevant, but after leaving my computer overnight (so computer goes to sleep, UFX III gets physically turned off), when I came back to the computer and powered on the UFX III it was *not* connecting to my computer at all. As in, it would not show up in the OS or any DAW and the "Host" LED was off. I had to manually change the Interface Mode to Auto in order for it to connect.

Is that indicative that it's not connecting via USB3 on its own? My earlier tests had me put the computer to sleep and wake it again, but I did keep the UFX III turned on during that.

The interface doesn't know what your computer is doing, and it doesn't actively "(re) connect" to it, it's up to the computer to deal with the peripherals. So this is likely somewhere on the computer side of things. Have you tried all available USB ports?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It's a direct connection, and I have tried different cables/ports.

It's a Mac Mini M2 Pro if that's relevant.

This is also the first time I try something other than the default Auto Interface Mode.

Is there anything else I can do to try and narrow things down?

I don't know what could cause DAW software to behave differently here. You said Logic does remember the device. Perhaps contact the software manufacturers also.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I did originally communicate this to the developers of Max/MSP, but after I did further tests, it seems like the ball is not in their court.

The thing is, if I use a Babyface Pro (with the same driver, computer, OS, DAW, etc...) it *does* reconnect. Same goes for a MOTU interface (different interface/driver, but same computer, OS, DAW, etc...).

So the issue is unique to my UFX III.

If Logic consistently remembers the interface, the issue can't be the UFX alone...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

In your first post you say the issue is not with Logic but with other DAW Ableton and Max.
At this moment it's clear there is no issue with the UFX...

Have you got both interfaces connected? If yes, does the same thing happen with the UFX alone?

As an experiment, create an Aggregate Device with only the UFX. Do the affected programs remember that?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I've updated to 4.16 since the original post and the issue persists.

The Logic one is tricky because it is an Apple product, so it perhaps has different 'hooks' to the OS than other DAWs. So the only other two DAWs I have (Live and Max/MSP) don't reconnect.

Is there any significance to the fact that an Interface Mode of Auto doesn't reconnect to the computer when powering on the UFX?

RME Support wrote:

Have you got both interfaces connected? If yes, does the same thing happen with the UFX alone?

As an experiment, create an Aggregate Device with only the UFX. Do the affected programs remember that?

I've done the test with multiple interfaces plugged in, and the UFX is not remembered, but the other ones are.

I will try the Aggregate Device test now and report back.

Did you test with only the UFX connected? Did you mention to the software manufacturers that Logic does remember the device, to find out how the other DAWs may behave differently?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Most of the tests were done with only the UFX as it's my main studio interface. The other interfaces are gigging ones, so I just pulled those out for the testing.

Now the Aggregate Device test was interesting in that both Logic and Live remembered the aggregate device (whereas Live would also forget it), and Max/MSP did not.

I've relayed that information back to Cycling74 (Max's developers) to see if that points to anything since that kind of rules out the potential of Logic having special OS privileges with regards to I/O.

AAAnd a perhaps relevant follow up test, is if I do the same with Rogue Amoeba's Loopback with only 2 channels of I/O in the "virtual device", all DAWs remember the UFX.

I've also relayed this information back to Cycling74 as perhaps it has something to do with OS channel limit issues (ala Zoom and Discord not being happy with the UFX III).

Did you try it in USB 2.0 mode as well? (It disables MADI, so if you need that it couldn’t be a permanent workaround, but I would give it a try).
Otherwise you could also try the kernel extension driver.

Oooh! USB2 seems to retain the device in Max/MSP!

I'll see if this remains consistent over the next couple of days (and have also relayed this information to cycling74).

28 (edited by hselters 2024-09-18 22:36:26)

There can be other kind of strange things going on with USB 3 audio on Mac, like dropouts and glitches on some systems and generally more sensitive with longer cable runs. If you don't use MADI anyways, I would actually just stick to USB 2.

Interesting, I was not aware of that.

Don't see myself having any MADI gear any time soon, so will just rock the USB2 for now.

30 (edited by rodrigo.constanzo 2024-09-19 22:49:34)

Ok, I spoke too soon. Getting *really bad* dropouts in USB2 mode (with DK driver and the included USB C cable).

I've tried switching ports on the back and still the same.

edit:
Have swapped over to the USB A cable and this appears to be playing nice in USB2 mode. Will leave it like this for a bit and see if I get any dropouts.

edit edit:
So USB A works perfectly all day, no dropouts, everything recalled after sleep etc... I'm wondering if either something got messed up with my USB C cable (the one included) or if the USB C ports on the mac mini weren't playing nice with things.