Topic: 802 fs as patchbay

hi, just a quick question. when i use the fireface 802 fs as a patchbay, does signal run through the converters or directly from the input to the desired output. Does the signal stay analog like with a "normal analog patchbay" or will it be converted to digital for the routing and back to analog to the output?

thanks
mario

2 (edited by ramses 2024-09-22 18:55:20)

Re: 802 fs as patchbay

The design for all RME recording interfaces is, that on the inputs a A/D conversion takes place.

Routing then digital inside the box through the matrix.

Two possibilities:

1. through the PC/DAW via USB/FW/... or
2. directly through internal matrix to the outputs in "near-realtime" (without the way over USB/DAW and back).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

hey thanks for the quick answer! i'm assuming the full potential of the converters will be used for direct routing and not something like 24bit 44100Khz .

4 (edited by ramses 2024-09-22 19:50:59)

sensailee wrote:

hey thanks for the quick answer! i'm assuming the full potential of the converters will be used for direct routing and not something like 24bit 44100Khz .

This unit supports 24 Bit conversion up to 192 kHz. Routing won't degrade audio quality.

The internal resolution of TM FX is 46 Bit. If I understand these values correctly then the internal volume control of TotalMix FX, with the additional 22 bits (46-bit internal processing minus 24-bit input signal), allows for a dynamic range of approximately 132 dB.

Compared to the 802 (without FS) the 802 FS got even an overhaul of the analog section, it has now the same good values like UFX II and UFX III according to the manuals.

So what is your worry?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for clarifying and giving the explanation.
i worried about hitting outboard gear through the direct routing could degrad the signal and it might be better to do the routing before i go into the converters, but i think it will be just fine.
i know i'm spitting hairs, but as anyone else i always want the best signal i can get with what i have in front of me, that's way i bought the 802 FS in the first place.
Thanks for your time,  it was helpful to me.

Either you create device chains for a couple of devices if the order of devices is always the same.
Alternatively you connect each external device to dedicated analog I/O ports if you have enough analog ports.
If you got 802 FS, UFX II you can add converter via ADAT, but these are 16 / 8  ports at single/double speed.
To be on the safe side investing into UFX III and having MADI on top would give you more headroom.
MADI offers 64 / 32 channels at single/double speed.

If you define the external FX in the DAW then you have to route through the DAW and have the RTL.
For some audio flows it might be sufficient to purely route via TM FX depending on what you intend to do.

If I want to use my Lexicon PCM81 for guitar (stereo setup with two Marshalls, where the UFX III also serves as parallel effect loop) then I use TM FX routing.
If I want to use PCM 81 and/or PCM 91 as send or insert effect in the DAW then I define those devices as external FX in Cubase. Or both, PCM 81 for guitat including modulation effects, PCM 91 as pure reverb unit for mixing and mastering.