Topic: Testing AES/EBU Interface - Loopback

Hi All,

Before I potentially blow anything up! smile

I seem to be having a problem with my PCM81 when connected via AES/EBU on my UCX II. No issues with inbound connectivity to the PCM: it's sensing the inbound signal and clocking correctly. The problem is I'm getting no output from the device and looking at the RME settings I'm not getting 'No Lock'. S/PIDF all works fine but I'm using that for something else. I am using correct AES/EBU XLR cables btw..

I wanted to be sure that there isn't a problem somewhere else and wondered if it's OK to use a AES cable as a loop back and simply connect the AES out/in together to validate that I have no problems at the interface or with connectivity of the break-out cable.

Thanks,

Si

2 (edited by ramses 2024-09-27 09:36:33)

Re: Testing AES/EBU Interface - Loopback

I assume the PCM81 needs AES (not SPDIF) format.
Check RME driver settings whether you choosed AES format (might be called "professional" (vs consumer)).

Please send a screenshot of your RME driver settings to see config and sync status.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by grappagreen 2024-09-27 15:46:30)

ramses wrote:

I assume the PCM81 needs AES (not SPDIF) format.
Check RME driver settings whether you choosed AES format (might be called "professional" (vs consumer)).

Please send a screenshot of your RME driver settings to see config and sync status.

Hi - appreciate your reply.

The PCM81 has both AES/EBU (XLR) and S/PDIF (Phono) connectivity. With the PCM digital settings configured to S/PIDF standard and plugged in via S/PDIF break-out on my UCX II everything works perfectly. With the PCM configured to AES standard and plugged in via AES/EBU break-out then the input signal on the PCM works perfectly (clock lock, Prof standard, correct sample rate and no errors). The issue is that I'm getting no inbound SYNC/Lock (in the RME utility) or signal on the AES input in TM.

I'll send a screenshot.

The reason I want to test with a loopback is that it may well be that my PCM81 has a failure on the AES digital-out but I want to prove that this is the case before I do anything further.

Thanks again.

Si

Yes, it's no problem to connect AES Out to AES In for a test. You don't really need a cable, you can just connect the BOC jacks together.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Yes, it's no problem to connect AES Out to AES In for a test. You don't really need a cable, you can just connect the BOC jacks together.

Thanks - get an immediate lock with loop back so defo something wrong with the PCM AES out..

Grrr..

Si