Topic: Digiface USB mix two Toslink in to one Toslink out to RME ADI 2 DAC FS

Hey. Before ordering the Digiface USB, I want to know if I can mix 2 Toslink Inputs with it to one Toslink output.

My PC would be connected          via Toslink at 44 up to 192 kHz
My iPad Pro would be connected via Toslink at fixed 192 kHz

Both of these would go                 into RME ADI 2 DAC FS

Would this conveniently work?
Until then, I will probably use https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0D45GY575

Thanks.

2 (edited by ramses 2024-09-29 17:46:09)

Re: Digiface USB mix two Toslink in to one Toslink out to RME ADI 2 DAC FS

Routing is no problem.
In TM FX each HW output has an individual submix which can be any combination of
- HW input and
- Software Playback Channel (audio from the per USB connected PC).

You need to synchronize clocks, clock master needs to be the second PC, in the diagram below PC2.

You can only use one sample rate in this setup, determined by PC2.

PC2(cm)------------------+
                                    |
                                    |
                          ADAT1 IN
                                    |
PC1----USB-----Digiface USB(cs)----ADAT1 OUT----SPDIF(o)----ADI-2 DAC FS

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Routing yes, but you need to use 1 sample rate for the whole setup.

In TM FX each HW output has an individual submix which can by any combination of
HW input or Software Playback Channel (audio from the per USB connected PC).

Doesn't that make for a worse listening experience?

Say I fix 192 kHz so I can have low latency on my iPad Pro ...
Audio in shows, music, films is now played at 192 kHz instead of the native rate... right?

4 (edited by ramses 2024-09-29 17:47:34)

Pls reread, I rephrased.
All of my music is 44.1.
Also with my high end HiFi I listen in 44.1.
This creates no issue for me, the quality is still superb.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Pls reread, I rephrased.
All of my music is 44.1.
Also with my high end HiFi I listen in 44.1.
This creates no issue for me, the quality is still superb.

Great. Thanks!

@bluetail
If you want to use audio from iPad and computer at the same time, you have use 192k for the both. One cannot use different sampling values for individual inputs/outputs at the same time.

If you intend to use DF USB as intelligent digital patchbay than OK, if you change sampling assording to input source. But for sure it will not work as digital mixer if sampling of all inputs/outputs will not match....

And one more aspect. DF USB is not designed to work standalone without computer. It is not possible to store into it routings
to be recalled when standalone, it even does not remember the last setting used. One can solve it by using powered USB hub to keep DF USB powered when computer is off, so that it remembers the routings.

7 (edited by bluetail 2024-09-29 18:18:56)

Kubrak wrote:

@bluetail
If you want to use audio from iPad and computer at the same time, you have use 192k for the both. One cannot use different sampling values for individual inputs/outputs at the same time.

If you intend to use DF USB as intelligent digital patchbay than OK, if you change sampling assording to input source. But for sure it will not work as digital mixer if sampling of all inputs/outputs will not match....

And one more aspect. DF USB is not designed to work standalone without computer. It is not possible to store into it routings
to be recalled when standalone, it even does not remember the last setting used. One can solve it by using powered USB hub to keep DF USB powered when computer is off, so that it remembers the routings.

Great insights. I appreciate it!
I will however also report back if https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0D45GY575 does what I need at a low latency and without issues, before I buy the RME product. Maybe it will outperform it for my use-case. Maybe it works with mixed rates.

8 (edited by Kubrak 2024-09-29 18:38:48)

It probably better fits your usecase. But for sure you cannot mix two (or more) inputs into one output. It just switches between sources. And in that case they do not have to match in sampling rate. Just one is used at time, so it does not matter what sapling rate the rest of them has, it is internally "disconnected" (not used) at time.

9 (edited by ramses 2024-09-29 18:55:00)

We are talking here about different things because you didn't describe your use case well.

You told
>> "I want to know if I can mix 2 Toslink Inputs with it to one Toslink output."

If you want to create a submix out of the two different audio signals (from PC1 and PC2),
then a recording interface with digital mixer is needed. In this case you need to clock synch all devices.

Now you tell you only want to use a TOSLINK switcher.

But did you think about, that such a setup would only work, if the ADI-2 DAC FS is NOT connected to any of the two PCs via USB? So to say in standalone mode? By this you can also not remote control the ADI-2 DAC FS with the ADI-2 Remote application.

I think this can't work.

+---USB----PC1      PC2
    |                 |           |
    |          TOSLINK Switcher
    +-------->ADI-2 DAC FS

As soon as you switch to PC2 the DAC has still an USB connection and takes the sample rate from there.
Sample rate via USB has priority (at least this is the case for the ADI-2 Pro FS)

What would be possible is this, to operate the ADI-2 DAC FS in standalone mode, not plugged to USB.
But then you can't remote control it via ADI-2 Remote (via USB).

This works because either PC1 or PC2 would be connected to the ADI-2 DAC FS.
ADI-2 DAC FS would learn as a clock slave automatically the sample rate from either PC1 or PC2.

PC1      PC2
                |           |
                |           |
         TOSLINK Switcher
                 |           |
            ADI-2 DAC FS

ramses wrote:

We are talking here about different things because you didn't describe your use case well.
You told

>> "I want to know if I can mix 2 Toslink Inputs with it to one Toslink output."

In such a case you need to work with the same samplerate.

Now you are telling a completely different story.
The TOSLINK switches that you describe there takes care that only one source would talk to the ADI-2 DAC FS.

If you only want an audio switcher between multiple sources and one ADI-2 DAC FS .. well, then say it.
Then you do not need a recording interface with a digital mixer.

BTW, I am using the Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 Mk II.
This unit looks quite nice from the design.
It can be operated at the device (to switch the channels).
Note: only the "Mk II" version works up to 192 kHz.

I want automatic. Otherwise I can just use a remote unit like this.
If this was available here, I'd pick this instead:

https://www.tindie.com/products/Beni_Sk … io-switch/

please re-read I had to edit it, thanks.

bluetail wrote:

Then you can't use USB, but then ADI-2 Remote would not work.

I think something like an USB Switcher would be more useful, if you intend to use ADI-2 Remote Software with the two PCs.

I am not sure if an USB switcher would work well when connecting an USB DAC for Audio. You will have to experiment.

I am using this switcher for green switching mouse, keyboard, headset and USB stick between PC and laptop:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N6G … &psc=1

It is USB2 compatible, but it doesn't switch the PCs automatically and has no remote for that.

13 (edited by bluetail 2024-09-29 19:14:52)

ramses wrote:
bluetail wrote:

Then you can't use USB, but then ADI-2 Remote would not work.

I think something like an USB Switcher would be more useful, if you intend to use ADI-2 Remote Software with the two PCs.

I am not sure if an USB switcher would work well when connecting an USB DAC for Audio. You will have to experiment.

I am using this switcher for green switching mouse, keyboard, headset and USB stick between PC and laptop:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N6G … &psc=1

It is USB2 compatible, but it doesn't switch the PCs automatically and has no remote for that.

Naah you have it totally backwards!
iPAD Pro is connected to a USB hub with charging with a SMSL PO 100 Pro which exposes Toslink and digital Toslink.
From there, cable goes to RME ADI 2 DAC FS.
I used to just use USB and the Toslink and just use my remote to switch.
But now its time for upgrade and stuff needs to be automatic.

If I want to use TotalMix etc to setup Equalizer on Linux I just open that application on PC.
No need to switch complete device man

14 (edited by ramses 2024-09-29 19:19:44)

Perhaps something like this.
https://www.lindy.de/USB-2-0-Auto-Switc … p;pi=42843

First Come - First Serve'-principle if Windows-PCs

15 (edited by bluetail 2024-09-29 19:36:04)

ramses wrote:

Perhaps something like this.
https://www.lindy.de/USB-2-0-Auto-Switc … p;pi=42843

First Come - First Serve'-principle if Windows-PCs

How strong do I have to make my assertion that this is something I already have for other use-cases but that I don't want my RME ADI 2 DAC FS to switch around via USB? Moreover, this doesnt even come with USB Device Emulation so it shows up as disconnected...

And it didn't even got an IR remote receiver...

And this one says it only automatically switches printers...

You still didn't answer, whether you want to be able to operate the ADI-2 DAC FS from both PCs using the ADI-2 FS Remote.

Regarding the Lindy USB switcher the webpage tells (I quoted it) "For PC 1st come 1st serve principle."
Why do you say then this box would be only for printers?

I am running out of time, good look you know now what to look for, nice evening.

ramses wrote:

You still didn't answer, whether you want to be able to operate the ADI-2 DAC FS from both PCs using the ADI-2 FS Remote.

Regarding the Lindy USB switcher the webpage tells (I quoted it) "For PC 1st come 1st serve principle."
Why do you say then this box would be only for printers?

I am running out of time, good look you know now what to look for, nice evening.

My questions already had been answered before. Maybe stop wasting time then smile