Topic: Help with utilizing Spdif with ADI 2

Hi,

I have ADI 2 pro fs r, and I happen to be using this device after a few years (just life kept busy, didn't use some another fancy device).

Last time I had two monitors connected through this, and I was able to use my previous sound card - Asus Essence STX II through SPDIF connection, where I could use different EQ presets which made my monitors sound brilliant.

Now i have headphones connected Balanced, and also connected SPDIF to my soundcard, but I am not able to playback anything.

Is there a setting I might be missing perhaps?  I tried different things which I thought should make it work, but it doesnt.  My default device I also changed from RME to SPDIF and vice versa.

The SPIDF cable is connected to black port on RME which says "IN".  The SPDIF on soundcard is supposed to be "S/PDIF coaxial output" according to their manual.

Please let me know any suggestions on how can I fix this.

Many thanks!!

2 (edited by ramses 2024-10-10 15:54:51)

Re: Help with utilizing Spdif with ADI 2

Sk123 wrote:

Hi,

I have ADI 2 pro fs r, and I happen to be using this device after a few years (just life kept busy, didn't use some another fancy device).

Last time I had two monitors connected through this, and I was able to use my previous sound card - Asus Essence STX II through SPDIF connection, where I could use different EQ presets which made my monitors sound brilliant.

Now i have headphones connected Balanced, and also connected SPDIF to my soundcard, but I am not able to playback anything.

Is there a setting I might be missing perhaps?  I tried different things which I thought should make it work, but it doesnt.  My default device I also changed from RME to SPDIF and vice versa.

The SPIDF cable is connected to black port on RME which says "IN".  The SPDIF on soundcard is supposed to be "S/PDIF coaxial output" according to their manual.

Please let me know any suggestions on how can I fix this.

Many thanks!!

The description is a bit vague and possibly wrong:

You say that you are using a coaxial output on your Sonar Essence card and connect it to the optical ADAT/SPDIF input?
This is impossible, you can not directly connect a copper output with an optical input.

If you are using the ADAT input on your ADI-2 Pro with a TOSLINK cable, then you will also have to use the optical output of your Asus soundcard (optical SPDIF, not coaxial SPDIF which is copper based). Most likely the settings of your Asus card are wrong and leading to the wrong output or the Asus adapter for optical SPDIF is damaged.

Are you using the ADI-2 Remote application? Then you could post a screenshot of your ADI-2 settings.
A screenshot of the Asus Xonar settings will also be helpful.

Are you aware of the other screens of your ADI-2 Pro FS R BE?
The State Overview will support you troubleshooting digital connections.

Recommendation: if your mainboard should also have an optical SPDIF output to connect the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE via TOSLINK cable, then I would use this one from the mainboard and remove the Asus card from the system.
The ADI-2 Pro is actually too good to modify the digital audio signal with any DSP tools from Asus before conversion.
At least I would use neutral settings in the Asus card so that the lossless audio signal is passed through unaltered.
Then you can also use the "Bit test" to validate lossless transfer of digital audio data up to the DSP of the ADI-2 Pro shortly before the D/A conversion takes place.

You only need a digital connection from PC to the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to connect the reference converter for "lossless" audio transfer.

In terms of quality and jitter: digital connection is lossless and SteadyClock FS is designed to remove any potential jitter from any digital input signal including USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-10-10 15:39:50)

Black input is the Optical one.
The Coax in is the white RCA, labeled “Input” in the breakout cable that goes to the DB-9 multipin.

Select Optical in your PC.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your feedback.

ramses:  The cable I was referring to looks like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/TNP-Premium-Tosli … I9FPU?th=1

The long end goes to the Asus soundcard, and the square part to my ADI 2 unit.

Here is the screen shot of both applications as you advised, as well as my default playback: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/by44vqj7 … j&dl=0

I wasn't aware that there's an app available for the ADI 2. I used this DAC back in 2021, and just now reconnecting it.  Previously I had HD6xx which didn't sound any different to my Asus soundcard vs this unit, now I have Focal Massdrop ed, and the difference is day and night with ADI 2 vs Asus soundcard. 

I guess I can make EQ presets on this app now, so wouldn't really require connection to my pc soundcard.  But I'm still curious to have it working, because it used to work previously, now for some reason I can't make it play while both those devices are connected.  Also, I did not try fiddling with any settings on the device itself, I just thought it would simply play without having to tweak any settings, as I recalled it being quite tedious with just few buttons on the dac for lots of settings.

Btw, are there any available presets I can upload to my app for things like music/gaming/movies/hifi etc?

Thank you,
sk

5 (edited by ramses 2024-10-10 22:45:15)

Sorry, I do not know the Asus card and do not know whether it is a cable or settings issue.
What are the other settings for the SPDIF port as "PCM"?
Maybe you need to experiment a little further...

If the ADI-2 Pro will get a valid digital signal you can best see in the "State Overview" what kind of digital signal arrives...

I think your screenshot of ADI-2 Remote should better show the TAB "device", there you have hardware related settings...

BTW .. I have nearly the same use cases like you: Recording, Mixing, Mastering, Gaming, HiFi, Streaming TC.
I do not need any preset and tbh see no demand for it.
I always tried to selected my components to sound good "per default".
Only for my closed phones I use a little Bass and Treble adjustment.

The only things / feature that I use are
- auto ref level
- dynamic loudness (only for low listening levels)
My preference is to get active monitors / HiFi / Phones that have a good basic sound.

Therefore, I would take out the Asus card and connect the ADI-2 Pro FS via USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by Sk123 2024-10-10 23:22:11)

Here's the Device tab, and SOV (state overview?): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/816y5sta … f&dl=0

The PCM/SPDIF do not have any other settings as far as to my knowledge.  I do vaguely recall, when I had my monitors connected, I did have to click on SPDIF Out on Asus app, next to the PCM to make it work.

link edited

7 (edited by KaiS 2024-10-11 07:36:40)

The cable you are showing is optical for sure.

Check:

• When plugged into the Asus card only, do you see a red light on the other end?

• Now, plug this end into ADI-2 Pro’s Optical Input, the black, NOT the grey one.

• Set ADI-2’s input to Optical.
Assuming you run ADI-2 in DAC-Mode, displayed at startup “DAC mode active”:
I/O / Main Output 1/2 / Settings / AD/DA Source: Optical.

• To set ADI-2 to DAC-Mode:
SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: DAC

• Set output on Asus to “Optical”, NOT coaxial, select this output as preferred playback device in Windows sound settings.

• The music app might have such a selection too, set it accordingly.

• Still no sound?
Look at ADI-2’s State Overview and Global Level Meter screens (from the main screen, press Encoder 1 or 2 to navigate there).
Any activity visible?
Else the cable is broken (unlikely) or the PC configuration incorrect.

Hi KaiS,

Thank you for troubleshooting this with me.  Yes, it did work with those above steps that you described.  My startup display was USB mode and balanced phones active so I changed it to DAC mode.

Now a little trouble that I'm having is that the sound is still generic as I was getting through ADI DAC previously, when I click on different presets on Asus app, such as Music/Gaming/HiFi, etc, it is not changing anything whatsoever. 

If I connect my headphones directly to Asus sound card, of course the sound profile changes entirely with clicking on each preset, and same happened when I used to have monitors connected to ADI 2, whenever I changed the preset on Asus app, it completely modified the sound, unfortunately, that is not working with my headphones.  Please let me know any additional suggestions you guys may have.

On ADI 2 app, there's option to load presets, are there any such files available to download?

Ok, so I was able to load up the factory presets, but on the ADI 2 app, on the very top it says 'disconnected'.

It always said disconnected, but I just now under AD/DA switched to USB from Optical to see if it may remove that 'disconnected' message, but it doesn't.

Would you know why it says disconnected on my app?

Sk123 wrote:

Ok, so I was able to load up the factory presets, but on the ADI 2 app, on the very top it says 'disconnected'.

It always said disconnected, but I just now under AD/DA switched to USB from Optical to see if it may remove that 'disconnected' message, but it doesn't.

Please see "ADI-2 Remote" manual ch. 2.

Connection
Under the hood the ADI-2 Remote uses a USB MIDI port to communicate with the hardware device. The connection is the same as usual – via USB 2.0 to a Windows computer, a Mac com-puter, or an iPad.
When everything is connected and up to date, but the app’s title still says Disconnected: check that the MIDI Control option is set to ON (menu Device Mode for ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro, Remap Keys/Diag for ADI-2 DAC).

The MIDI Control was already at ON, but it still shows as disconnected.  Please refer to the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/iyxldkqv … d&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r1bdyrmc … u&dl=0

In order to use the app and presets, I guess it doesn't need to display disconnected on the top?

12 (edited by KaiS 2024-10-11 21:09:13)

Sk123 wrote:

You need the latest ADI-2 Firmware for the ADI-2 Remote app to work.

If your ASUS sound profiles don’t change what comes out from ADI-2, check that you have Optical selected as input in ADI-2, not USB.

If this still doesn’t work like it did years ago, it’s an ASUS thing, maybe a wrong ASUS setting.