Topic: Best Configuration for RME ADI-2 DAC FS Paired with Active ATC SCM40A

Hi everyone,

I’m using the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and would like to optimize its configuration for my ATC SCM40A active speakers, which have an XLR input with a sensitivity of 1 Vrms. I mainly stream music via a WiiM Pro connected to the DAC's optical input.

Here are my current settings and a couple of issues I’ve encountered:

XLR Output Level: I’ve set the DAC’s XLR output reference level to +1 dBu to provide a signal close to 1 Vrms for my ATC speakers. Is this the ideal level, or would a different reference level provide better synergy?

Clock Issue (SPDIF Optical): When the WiiM Pro is connected via optical and is not sending music, the DAC shows LOCKED for the clock. However, when music starts playing, the LOCKED status disappears, and it only shows Clock Source SPDIF OPT. Is this behavior expected, or is there something wrong with the synchronization? How can I ensure proper clock locking while streaming music?

Please explain the answers in a simple way, as I’m not very experienced with audio configurations.

Thanks for any advice on getting the most out of this setup!

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-10-13 00:34:35)

Re: Best Configuration for RME ADI-2 DAC FS Paired with Active ATC SCM40A

• Switch on “Auto Ref Level”.
Now ADI-2 DAC automatically selects the best fitting reference level for your actual listening level demand.
It even considers DSP processings like EQ.

I don’t have an ADI-2 DAC to countercheck the clock issue.
Pro and Pro SE might behave different.

Typically I’d say, the behavior like displayed is OK.

Maybe this Excel helps that I updated some time ago:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … v004-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

If I understood the Excel file correctly, +1 dBu (around 0.775 Vrms) seems to be the right setting for my ATC SCM40A speakers. I might also try +7 dBu (around 1.73 Vrms) for louder listening sessions to see how it performs.

Thanks!

Gsorel wrote:

..I might also try +7 dBu (around 1.73 Vrms) for louder listening sessions to see how it performs!

ADI-2 does the switching for you if you activate “Auto Ref Level”.

Manually switching is not advised in your configuration, you loose dynamic range.

hi Kais,

Thanks for the advice! We'll give Auto Ref Level a try and see how it performs with the ATC SCM40A.