Topic: ADI 2/4 Pro SE DSD playback issue ( via ROON & HQ player )

I used to remember that when ADI2/4 pro received DSD the spectrum in its screen turns blue. This time when I upgraded the firmware to USB 73 DSP 40 and attached it my ROON server with its ASIO driver, even the ADI remote shows that it's receiving DSD (The "DSD" shows in the output I used, and in Digital input state I can also see "DSD". In ROON the data is sent to HQ player directly. In HQ player I can see the filter is DIRECTSDM and the format indicate original the sampling rate of l DSD) , the clock (INT) still shows like 176 or 358k, and the spectrum shown in the ADI2/4 pro's display still remain green. I have tried using ROON directly, signal path shows that the data is sent to ASIO driver with no change, but everything remain the same. I was wondering if it convert DSD to PCM or not. I was also wondering if I did something wrong with some settings. I hope somebody could give me some advices. Thanks.

Re: ADI 2/4 Pro SE DSD playback issue ( via ROON & HQ player )

You are looking at which output channel? Is this stereo or multichannel mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You are looking at which output channel? Is this stereo or multichannel mode?

Both lineout and balanced (PH3/4) shown "DSD" on ADI remote since I was using the balanced headphone out. CC mode was set to stereo and I am sure that the source is stereo. If the source is multi-channel then roon will do the downmix before sending to the driver.

So there is basically no issue except for the colour? Did you change the colour theme? Only one shows a very clear blue with DSD, on others it is not so easy to see.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

So there is basically no issue except for the colour? Did you change the colour theme? Only one shows a very clear blue with DSD, on others it is not so easy to see.

I think there are two issues:
1. The theme colour. I didn't change it and I don't know how to (I do want to change the color). It seems that the color will change if the input changes between PCM and DSD.

2. The clock or sampling rate shown in both the display of ADI 2/4 pro and ADI remote. When I play DSD64 the "INT" shows 176k and when I change to DSD256 it shows 352k or something (I forgot). However, on ADI remote it indicated that the DAC do receive DSD. When I clicked SOV, in digital input state it showed  DSD as well but "INT" still looked like PCM. It is quite confusing.

The sample rate is always shown as such, no matter if in DSD or not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME