1 (edited by eobet 2024-10-18 15:43:06)

Topic: RayDat to ADI-2 at high sample rates

I just got a RayDAT and I'm running an optical cable to an ADI-2 Pro and I'm trying to figure things out...

Out of the box, ADAT worked which was nice, but only at 44.1khz regardless of what sample rate I tried to output.

If I changed the clock mode to 192khz in the Hammerfall DSP Settings, the output became 96khz according to the ADI-2 even if I sent a 192khz sound, and it sounded extremely muddy.

So I tried to enable SPDIF Out on ADAT4, and when I connect the cable to that port, the ADI-2 does read 192khz but no sound gets played. When I check the TotalMix panel, only the ADAT 1/2 shows any sound, and I noticed that the SPDIF volume slider was in the bottom, but even if I put it at the same level as the ADAT volume, nothing gets output.

Two questions:

1. How can I get 192khz sound output via ADAT? (WASAPI)
2. What am I missing to enable SPDIF out instead of ADAT? (ASIO)

Re: RayDat to ADI-2 at high sample rates

You missed that ADAT 192 kHz is not labeled as such. To receive this correctly with the ADI-2 Pro go into its clock section and manually select the correct sample rate. This is possible even when in ADAT external sync mode, and it just sets the correct SMUX mode internally.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by eobet 2024-10-18 21:05:54)

Is that this "clock source" setting? Regardless of AES or SPDIF, I can't change the sample rate and it also seems stuck at 96khz.

https://i.ibb.co/1QH1h3v/Screenshot-2024-10-18-205600.jpg

Also, I think I know what sounded "muddy" now... a high sample rate ADAT signal becomes mono when I look at the L and R indicators on the ADI-2 for some reason.

EDIT: Ah, the mono output can be seen in TotalMix as well... (but weirdly, even though I don't have SPDIF Out enabled, now I do see a stereo output for that for some reason?)

https://i.ibb.co/6JHXbn4/Screenshot-2024-10-18-215257.jpg

EDIT: Ok, "reset mix" - "straight playback with all to main out" and "set all channels stereo" fixed the TotalMix... but now, for some reason I can't see the RayDat in my WASAPI settings in my playback software... I can only see ASIO (as "Hammerfall DSP") and that again just outputs a single channel (left) to the ADI-2.

4 (edited by eobet 2024-10-18 21:24:04)

Ok, so I set up ADAT 1+2 in WDM Mode to be "Speaker", and I can now again select that in WASAPI as the output in my software, and I see in TotalMix that ADAT 1/2 is now stereo output (and SPDIF is again silent now)...

...but still the ADI-2 shows L and R as clearly mono. Now what have I missed?

EDIT: I can apparently set the default Windows output to this as well and I just checked that this also becomes mono in ADI-2. So is there an issue with the hammerfall DSP WDM setting? I've checked 1+2 in the WDM setting but it seems to say just 2 for the Speaker for some reason (even though that selection is impossible in the WDM Devices list in the Hammerfall DSP).

https://i.ibb.co/yYFq4Xf/Screenshot-2024-10-18-222112.jpg

5 (edited by eobet 2024-10-18 21:38:22)

Right, with enabling SPDIF on ADAT 4, setting that to Speaker in WDM makes things stereo again and correctly displays 192khz on the ADI-2.

I think I'll abandon ADAT, it's too advanced for me.

(Only downside that's still in effect is that I don't see the accurate sample rate for the sound being played. The ADI-2 SPo readout is now "frozen" to 192khz compared to how it was before I got the Raydat, but I guess that's just how that card works.)

eobet wrote:

Right, with enabling SPDIF on ADAT 4, setting that to Speaker in WDM makes things stereo again and correctly displays 192khz on the ADI-2.

I think I'll abandon ADAT, it's too advanced for me.

(Only downside that's still in effect is that I don't see the accurate sample rate for the sound being played. The ADI-2 SPo readout is now "frozen" to 192khz compared to how it was before I got the Raydat, but I guess that's just how that card works.)

You did set the RayDAT to clock-mode internal 192, of course this makes like freeze the system to 192, that is to expect.

WDM does resample the music to what the audio system is set to (in your case 192kHz)

If you use a music player who use ASIO like MusicBee and windows Audio is set to use the ASIO driver RayDAT, this would let show-up the sample-rate of the music file.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

You did not say in your first post that you have USB connected to the ADI. In that case you need to set the clock in the MADIface USB Settings dialog to 192 kHz (in the app it is only an info panel and not for control. It can also not be changed at the unit when USB is present). Clock source can be set to Auto.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by eobet 2024-10-19 09:23:38)

waedi wrote:

WDM does resample the music to what the audio system is set to (in your case 192kHz)

Oh. Is there upsampling going on in the RayDat or is it just using the AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_AUTOCONVERTPCM flag in WASAPI?

MC wrote:

You did not say in your first post that you have USB connected to the ADI. In that case you need to set the clock in the MADIface USB Settings dialog to 192 kHz (in the app it is only an info panel and not for control. It can also not be changed at the unit when USB is present). Clock source can be set to Auto.

Thank you! That still doesn't help with why the ADI-2 sees ADAT as mono (but I can always stick to SPDIF).

9 (edited by ramses 2024-10-19 09:29:23)

eobet wrote:

That still doesn't help with why the ADI-2 sees ADAT as mono (but I can always stick to SPDIF).

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread but I see according to your screenshot that the "mono channel" is on a SW playback channel, so .. Audio from the PC / the application.

This could happen if you forget to assign all stereo channels in the application.

Here MusicBee as an example, but it could also be a DAW or whatever audio source / application:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3ox7jafjxhz0x1o9tvluy/2024-10-19-MusicBee-Stereo-Channel-Assignment.jpg?rlkey=75ugkq5wldi9m4w92xu0t2j1j&st=y8hul7ky&dl=1

Is it perhaps something similar in your case?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by eobet 2024-10-19 10:39:44)

Ok, I tested som more today.

WASAPI ADAT still gets stuck at 96khz mono with WDM Speaker mode, even if I've set it to 192khz in both HammerfallDSP and MADiface (TotalMix reading SPDIF stereo and nothing on ADAT for some reason), I'm giving up on that.

With ASIO ADAT, I'm seeing the following pattern:

• A 44.1khz sound reads 176.5khz on the ADI-2

• A 48khz sound reads 192khz on the ADI-2

• A 88.2khz sound reads 88.2khz on the ADI-2

• A 96hz sound reads 96khz on the ADI-2

• A 192khz sound reads 96khz on the ADI-2 and plays in MONO

Back to SPDIF (on ADAT 4) again.

EDIT: Ok... now I'm utterly confused... I just swapped to the connector I said above, and the ADI-2 began showing accurate SPo readouts but it now only plays any sound if the sample sent is 192khz (while TotalMix shows stereo both on ADAT 1/2 and SPDIF).

EDIT: Oh, forgot to swap over to WASAPI SPDIF... so ASIO SPDIF only plays sound at 192khz (but in stereo).

11 (edited by waedi 2024-10-19 11:52:30)

That is indeed confusing, to make this readable, please tell, how is the ADI-2 connected ?
What is the media player ?
You use a hightech ASIO audio interface. Select ASIO where ever possible.
RayDat is a Adat card, you can't abandon Adat,
In the Hdsp Settings Click Adat4 SPDIF output and connect a toslink cable from Adat output port 4 to the ADI-2 toslink input port.

https://i.ibb.co/Jq3q4t0/spdif.jpg

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue