Topic: Transfer MIDI over MADI, but not remote control device - just pass thr

Sorry to ask this, if it should be somewhere here in the forum or manual, but we have a project tomorrow, where I got the spontaneous idea of besaid topic:

Transfer MIDI over MADI; we have Octamics XTCs and a Fireface UFX. The idea is NOT to control the XTCs, but to just pass MIDI through MADI from the XTC to the UFX, like an extender over LWL in this case. From the physical Midi input of the XTC to the Midi output on the UFX.

Is this possible? I'll hopefully have some time in between tomorrow to try this, but if any of you would know it works for sure, I gladly appreciate a few hints how to set this up!

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Transfer MIDI over MADI, but not remote control device - just pass thr

Options - MIDI Sources - MIDI ov. MADI - "DIN in"

MIDI ov. MADI
Defines the source of the data sent via MIDI over MADI to the MADI output. Choices are USB1,
USB2, MADI In, DIN In, Control, Off. The source Control means feedback / response / status
data sent by the XTC.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

This will not work as a kind of MIDI extender, i.e. to then control external devices. The only device that could do that was (if I'm not mistaken) the old ADI-648 (or another device from that early generation of MADI units). And the UFX also can not just extract that MIDI from MADI and pass it on.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you for your replies!

I really don't need to remote control anything, just pass through.

I actually tried the MIDI ov. MADI option, but can it theoretically be that it works only from the XTC to UFX, not vice versa? We needed to change from UFX->XTC since I also had to record reference audio and control data (not midi) among the midi channel...

The option MIDI ov. MADI at least sounded promising, but since RME Support wrote it is not possible?... It didn't work yet, anyway...

Maybe you could clarify what exactly you want to do... I was thinking you were planning to pass MIDI signal through the MADI chain to something like a synthesizer... If not, please specify.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Actually plain and simple - > now, since the order changed ->

MIDI signal for Sequenzer -> DIN input on UFX+ -> over MADI -> to XTC DIN output, thats all, a digital extender for plain MIDI

But I think you undestood correctly, and said it is NOT possible to route MIDI through MADI not for controller purpose? I think it is also not possible to take one midi input on one port on the ufx+ and split it to both outputs on both ports (midi1 and 2)?