1 (edited by johanibraaten 2024-10-24 09:09:15)

Topic: Loosing MIDI-connection on my MacBook

Hi everyone.

I have a problem that I hope someone might be able to help me understand and hopefully even solve. Every now and then my Mac stops recognizing the MIDI input and when I'm checking the preferences in an (any) app it doesn't show any external MIDI-device. I use a RME Babyface pro FS connected with DIN-cables as MIDI-interface but it is the same behavior even if I use an ESI midimate interface. When the computer looses contact with the MIDI it still shows the Babyface as an audio device and it also working as one. I just changed computer to a new M3 MacBook Air but my old computer, an Intel i5 MacBook Pro, showed the exact same behavior which leads me to think that it might be a macOS problem rather than a RME-problem but I don't know. When this happens the only way to fix it is a reboot of the computer. I've tried to go in to MIDI/audio-settings in macOS and do a re-scan for midi devices but it doesn't work. The problem seems to occur more frequent when I either switch between user accounts on the computer or when I leave the piano and computer on and leave for a while so the piano turns itself off. It also happens quite often when I’ve been using the computer during the day and connect it to the piano when I come home, then I often have to reboot to get contact with a MIDI-device. It never happens when everything is connected and woking and I sit and play. My controller is a Yamaha N1 which doesn't have USB MIDI.

This puzzles me quite a bit and is pretty annoying. Any ideas?

Re: Loosing MIDI-connection on my MacBook

If you have open the Midi Studio from Audio-Midi-Setup and connect the Babyface Pro, it should appear there.
Your Babyface is not in CC-mode, right ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by johanibraaten 2024-10-24 12:33:55)

waedi wrote:

If you have open the Midi Studio from Audio-Midi-Setup and connect the Babyface Pro, it should appear there.
Your Babyface is not in CC-mode, right ?

It does appear in the Audio/MIDI-settings and in the MIDI-studio its appears as a general USB MIDI-device. However, when the described disconnection happens the unit is greyed out in the MIDI-studio and I can't get it active again without a reboot. The Babyface is not in CC-mode.

Disconnect and reconnect the Babyface does not reset that ?

waedi wrote:

Disconnect and reconnect the Babyface does not reset that ?

No, unfortunately not.

what I would try : re-flash the unit.
Use the FUT and and select flash all.

waedi wrote:

what I would try : re-flash the unit.
Use the FUT and and select flash all.

Thanks, I'll try that.