Topic: Babyface Pro FS - Getting Line level signal from headphone out

I see in the manual that the Phones 3/4 out delivers +13dBu @0dBFS, which is obviously way too hot for line level.

According to the calculators, +13dBu is roughly +10.78dBV. Need to drop this down to -10dBV for nominal line level.

What I'm not sure is how that correlates with the (dBFS?) faders in totalmix.

Put plainly, how should I set the fader of PH 3/4 to make sure I'm getting the desired -10dBV on the headphone out?

Re: Babyface Pro FS - Getting Line level signal from headphone out

stej wrote:

I see in the manual that the Phones 3/4 out delivers +13dBu @0dBFS, which is obviously way too hot for line level.

Most studios assume 0 dBFS = +24 dBu, so it's much lower than line level.

Fireface UCX II + ARC USB > ADI-2 Pro FS R BE > Neumann KH 750 DSP + MA 1 > KH 120 A

unpluggged wrote:
stej wrote:

Most studios assume 0 dBFS = +24 dBu, so it's much lower than line level.

This is consumer line level I'll be connecting to. The amp expects -10dBV.

But that's beside the point. The question of adjusting totalmix fader to achieve a specific dbu level remains regardless of what's the target level.

stej wrote:

The question of adjusting totalmix fader to achieve a specific dbu level remains regardless of what's the target level.

There is no question here. The faders in TotalMix are graded in decibels, so if you have +13 dBu as the reference at 0 dBFS, the rest is as simple as mere subtraction. Attenuate the output by the needed amount.

Fireface UCX II + ARC USB > ADI-2 Pro FS R BE > Neumann KH 750 DSP + MA 1 > KH 120 A

unpluggged wrote:
stej wrote:

The question of adjusting totalmix fader to achieve a specific dbu level remains regardless of what's the target level.

There is no question here. The faders in TotalMix are graded in decibels, so if you have +13 dBu as the reference at 0 dBFS, the rest is as simple as mere subtraction. Attenuate the output by the needed amount.

So it's a straight 1:1 between dBFS in totalmix and dBu on the output. That's what I wasn't sure of.

Alright, easy enough, thanks.