Topic: Preamps recording output audio when in “Instr” mode

On my Fireface 802 FS, Whenever I am recording inside of a DAW on channels 9-12 (preamps), when “instrument” mode is selected, those inputs are recording whatever is coming out of any of the output channels. It will not do this when phantom power is selected, or if neither phantom power or instrument is selected.

This is very annoying.

I am running MacOS 12.1

And firmware v227 and Driver v4.16.

Can anyone help please?

2 (edited by waedi 2024-10-25 22:18:58)

Re: Preamps recording output audio when in “Instr” mode

I'm not sure if it helps but I would do a Total Reset in Totalmix
Totalmix Menu Options / Reset Mix / Total Reset

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yeah, I tried that and the issue still remains. And I’m only having this issue when preamps are in instrument mode.

Are you talking about a very low level signal of -80 dBFS or so? What is connected to these Instr. inputs?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, a very low level signal of the audio from the output channels is what’s being recorded.

And I’m plugging in guitars into these Instr inputs.

To be more specific, I'm just now learning that the mic preamps are recording the audio coming out of the headphone outputs (Ch. 9/10 and Ch. 11/12) when headphones are plugged in and when in "Instr" mode.

The issue does not occur when headphones are not plugged into either one of the headphone outputs on the front panel.

7 (edited by ramses 2024-10-26 17:37:39)

alaindumas11 wrote:

To be more specific, I'm just now learning that the mic preamps are recording the audio coming out of the headphone outputs (Ch. 9/10 and Ch. 11/12) when headphones are plugged in and when in "Instr" mode.

The issue does not occur when headphones are not plugged into either one of the headphone outputs on the front panel.

I assume you are recording the signal from your headphones because you do not use closed headphones for recording. Could that be the case here?

Otherwise, please a detailed description about what devices is connected to where and a screenshot of the routing and the gain settings in the relevant channels. Thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I do use closed headphones, and I am not recording any microphones. I do not think that the type of headphones have anything to do with this particular issue.

I have the interface plugged directly into the computer, Guitar plugged directly into one of the preamps on the front panel ("Instr" mode selected), and headphones going directly into headphone output (Ch. 9/10)

Here is a screenshot of my TotalMix screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/53ttntbv03n5zzkqigbxy/TotalMix-Screenshot.png?rlkey=943loya9b58jgpm9tvas6ozq5&dl=0

alaindumas11 wrote:

I do use closed headphones, and I am not recording any microphones. I do not think that the type of headphones have anything to do with this particular issue.

I have the interface plugged directly into the computer, Guitar plugged directly into one of the preamps on the front panel ("Instr" mode selected), and headphones going directly into headphone output (Ch. 9/10)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/53ttntbv03n5zzkqigbxy/TotalMix-Screenshot.png?rlkey=943loya9b58jgpm9tvas6ozq5&dl=0

Screenshot is not visible, please use another image online-provider, for example imgbb.com, Dropbox is not working for image publishing.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

https://ibb.co/TLYsvRp  - here’s the link to the screenshot of my TotalMix screen

11 (edited by ramses 2024-10-26 20:11:50)

alaindumas11 wrote:

You need to change dl=0 to dl=1 then it works... like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/53ttntbv03n5zzkqigbxy/TotalMix-Screenshot.png?rlkey=943loya9b58jgpm9tvas6ozq5&dl=1

Alternatively for downloading:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/53ttntbv … 5&dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Problems can arise if you have nothing connected to analog inputs, set them to mute.

ramses wrote:

Problems can arise if you have nothing connected to analog inputs, set them to mute.

That’s the thing. It does it when instruments are connected to the analog inputs as well (when I’m needing to record those channels).

Are all analog inputs with nothing connected to it set to mute?

Which analog inputs send audio to your headphone submix and what is connected to them?

For a test: can you now please mute all analog inputs.

The Mic/Inst inputs need special handling as they have no digital control
There I would set the gain knob to zero and turn down the fader at the HW input to the phones submix.

Is it now silent? With all HW input channels muted, fader of all HW inputs down?
If yes, enable them "one by one" (only one enabled) to check where the noise is coming from.

This is more or less normal. It is called crosstalk. If you use low impedance headphones at full output volume that might bleed over to the very sensitive and high impedance instrument inputs. In real-world this is seldom an issue. It can get one when you use plugins with distortion, as these amplify (worsen) the crosstalk a lot. Or use low level guitars and a lot of gain via the pots.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This is more or less normal. It is called crosstalk. If you use low impedance headphones at full output volume that might bleed over to the very sensitive and high impedance instrument inputs. In real-world this is seldom an issue. It can get one when you use plugins with distortion, as these amplify (worsen) the crosstalk a lot. Or use low level guitars and a lot of gain via the pots.

Okay, thanks for the response! So all in all, are you saying that there is not really a way around this particular issue?

ramses wrote:

Are all analog inputs with nothing connected to it set to mute?

Which analog inputs send audio to your headphone submix and what is connected to them?

For a test: can you now please mute all analog inputs.

The Mic/Inst inputs need special handling as they have no digital control
There I would set the gain knob to zero and turn down the fader at the HW input to the phones submix.

Is it now silent? With all HW input channels muted, fader of all HW inputs down?
If yes, enable them "one by one" (only one enabled) to check where the noise is coming from.

So the problem is that when I am recording one of the channels of the mic preamps on the front panel in "Instr" mode, those channels are also recording my headphone output (Ch. 9/10 or Ch. 10/11).

Muting the HW input channels and turning all of those faders down does not solve the issue.

Setting the gain knob down to zero does not eliminate the issue, but makes it less noticeable that the headphone outputs are also being recorded (volume of recorded headphone output is much lower). However, the gain knob can never be at zero when I am recording an instrument plugged into the respective channel.

This seems like a weird problem. Not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

Say you have a guitar plugged into input 9, that is running into the daw or some plugin and coming out software input 1+2.

Why is software output 9/10 fader up in total mix?

Why is input fader 9 up to headphone 1 mix (assuming you are using 9/10 as the headphone 1 output). Fader 9 up would be sending di signal to the headphones.

The other guess is that maybe loopback is turned on somewhere. Input 9 should only be recording the di guitar unless loopback is on and something else is routed to that.

Maybe start simple, like record di guitar input 9. You should just have the di recorded on that channel.

Does it go away if you completely turn down the volume pot on your guitar?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632