1 (edited by muddi´s finest 2024-10-26 13:20:04)

Topic: Get a FIREFACE UC running with a M1 MBP

Hello, I bought a second hand FF UC and just try to get it running with my MBP.
The UC came with a normal USB 2 cable wich I plugged into my usb-3 (Type-A) to usb-c adapter (ISY IAD-1018).
As a Fireface 400 user iam unsure if it works correctly since it doesn't power the unit via usb only.
Can it be bus-powered?

2 (edited by waedi 2024-10-26 13:32:21)

Re: Get a FIREFACE UC running with a M1 MBP

First make sure it is set to Apple-mode not Pc-mode.
Double-click the encoder knob flips it when the unit is not connected to the computer.
The display shows AP or PC

No, it need the external power supply
NT-Cardbus   https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_ntcardbus_x.htm

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/_39/398863/11489584_800.jpg

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by muddi´s finest 2024-10-26 13:50:38)

Thanks Waedi! Sure, that works. I just wonder if it can be bus-powered asth FF400, but  according to the manual it doesn´t?

Anyway, beside that iam not sure if the usb adapter works properly. When i try to run the "RME USB Series Flash Tool" it instantly closes without installing/updating anything… i already changed the security setting in recovery mode,  accidentally installed the driver (Fireface USB DK 416.pkg) first and uninstalled it (via driver_usbDKremove_mac_327)…

Is there something important to be done to get the Firmware/Flashupdate installed on a M1 MBP?
EDIT: THE UC WAS IN PC MODE.

Firewire delivered much more power than USB.
The FF400 was bus-powered thru Firewire. The USB-interface UC is only USB and not bus-powered.
The packing list includes the power-supply, bus-powered devices comes without power-supply.

The UC indeed need a firmware update to run with the latest drivers.

The FUT needs a working driver.
Try the 333, when this driver works, perform update with FUT, then upgrade driver to 4.16

5 (edited by muddi´s finest 2024-10-26 14:21:56)

I got it running now, thanks for your heads up waedi!
only issue i got is this error message after booting my mac:

Concurrently running ME USB
kernel extension detected!
Please try to reboot
your computer.
If this message persists, disable
third party kernel extensions in
security policy!

Install driver 4.16 as per readme file and reboot.

7 (edited by muddi´s finest 2024-10-26 15:46:59)

I will check that, but the Fireface USB Settings window reports that i already have Driver v4.16 and Firmware v127 installed...
RME USB Series Flash Tool says with current Revision (127) the Programming Status is up-to-date. Not sure if it matters but i didnt check Flash All" when i updated the firmware…

Oh thats weird, because in post 3 you wrote this :
accidentally installed the driver (Fireface USB DK 416.pkg) first and uninstalled it (via driver_usbDKremove_mac_327)…
You did not tell of reinstalling 4.16 afterwards.

Anyway, I would try reinstall it. Carefully check all steps and enable the driver wherever needed.
MacOS System preferences Security&Privacy : scroll down check for big ALLOW-button
MacOS System preferences General Startup items and extensions click i-button in the RME.

9 (edited by muddi´s finest 2024-10-26 20:11:43)

Sorry, i forgot to mention that. Yes, after i changed to apple mode, the UC was detected and i updated the Firmware (416) first and than i installed the Driver. I works now, from what i can see without any functional limitations, but it shows the message i mentioned above when booting the mac.

some question reagrding your answer
"Anyway, I would try reinstall it. Carefully check all steps and enable the driver wherever needed.
MacOS System preferences Security&Privacy : scroll down check for big ALLOW-button
MacOS System preferences General Startup items and extensions click i-button in the RME."

You mean just to run the installer on top the existing installation, or do i need to uninstall first?
Is it possible to uninstall the flash firmware at all?
And with "General Startup items" – i don´t get that. Do you mean to add the totalmix to the "login items" under "user&groups" in system preferences ?

Again, thanks alot for taking to time to explain (maybe obvious things), waedi.
I appreciate it.

10 (edited by waedi 2024-10-26 22:42:44)

muddi´s finest wrote:

Sorry, i forgot to mention that. Yes, after i changed to apple mode, the UC was detected and i updated the Firmware (416) first and than i installed the Driver. I works now, from what i can see without any functional limitations, but it shows the message i mentioned above when booting the mac.

some question reagrding your answer
"Anyway, I would try reinstall it. Carefully check all steps and enable the driver wherever needed.
MacOS System preferences General Startup items and extensions click i-button in the RME."

You mean just to run the installer on top the existing installation, or do i need to uninstall first?

YES on top, nothing to uninstall, the driver installer does this for you. All automatic.

muddi´s finest wrote:

Is it possible to uninstall the flash firmware at all?

No, this would make no sense it would make the unit useless.
4.16 is the driver, not the firmware.

muddi´s finest wrote:

And with "General Startup items" – i don´t get that. Do you mean to add the totalmix to the "login items" under "user&groups" in system preferences ?

No, I mean only checking there if the switch is in position enabled.
There should be an entry named RME driver. Left side at the end there is a small icon, a i in a circle, this is a button and behind this is a switch to enable or disable the driver. Some few user had to enable there manually, normally it's enabled.

muddi´s finest wrote:

Again, thanks alot for taking to time to explain (maybe obvious things), waedi.
I appreciate it.

I installed the driver again.
But the solution was to set the Startup Security Setting back to Full Security in Recovery Mode.

muddi´s finest wrote:

I installed the driver again.
But the solution was to set the Startup Security Setting back to Full Security in Recovery Mode.

that's new to me, never heard this before.
Good to know.
Thanks for sharing.

Glad you can work.cheers

You read that several times, and it is even here in post #5.

Ignoring the password window or not typing in the password correctly will make the uninstallation via driver 4.16 fail. Else it works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME